Author Topic: Favoring people  (Read 5880 times)

lins_saving_grace

Favoring people
« on: May 15, 2006, 08:47:08 am »
Why do Lady and Grace favor their daddy over me?  It's actually quite depressing. I can spend all day playing with them, walking them, feeding them and taking care of them and when daddy's around it seems like they are all over him.  It's like all I'm good for is the necessities and other than that I'm invisible. 

EllieAndBlu

Re: Favoring people
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006, 08:51:17 am »
They are just playing the popular game of "suck-up!"  
I use to play it with my dad too.... heck who am I kidding, I still do!   ;) 

Don't you worry though.... the girls KNOW who they can really count on - their mama!  :)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2006, 08:53:55 am by EllieAndBlu »

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006, 09:20:34 am »
so you think it's nothing to take personally?  I was just SO upset last night that I gave them both the cold shoulder this morning. 

Offline smsmith

• Leader of the Pack
  • Einstein has changed my life -- for the good!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2006, 09:28:22 am »
I would guess that it's because he's the alpha of the household.

Kinda reminds me of when me & my brothers would be fed, entertained and cared for all day by Mom.  Dad came home and you'd think he was the Messiah.

Sarah

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2006, 09:29:13 am »
I hope so.  But I want cuddles too. 
They were both wondering what was wrong with me this moring after Daddy got up to get in the shower and they actually wanted something to do with me. 

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2006, 09:36:40 am »
it is so NOT personal.... they LOVE their mama the bestest for sure!

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2006, 09:56:58 am »
If your husband isn't home during the day and you are with them all the time...he's a novelty.  They see you all day and it's exciting to see him when he comes back.  I'm sure your girls love you (I mean how could they not)!!!  I don't think they necessarily favor him, I think they just try to enjoy the limited time they have with him.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline MafiaPrincess

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2006, 10:35:43 am »
Cider favoured my ex bf over me..
He rough housed with her in a way I didn't, and he never had anything bad to say to her, so when bad stuff happened I was the mean mommy who was grumpy, not him.  So she'd run to him..
Then he dumped my @ss.. so I have my baby back, lol..
~I'm changing my naughty ways to naughtier ones~

Offline macybean

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2006, 12:30:05 pm »
Sadie used to stay home all day with my ex-bf. I was the queen when I came home (it helped that he wasn't that into dogs when I first got her... still isn't but loves, loves, loves her). Riley met him after we'd broken up. We were together for years, and we're still friends.

When he drops by to see me or go out or whatnot, Sadie and Riley act like he hung the moon. But, you know what? They do that when I come home, too. Actually, if he's been around them and I've been gone, when I come home, it's "Mom! Mom! Mom!" You can't beat a lab's excitement to see her people, though.  ;D

I think it just has to do with the fact that they don't see him as much more than a favoring thing. They may follow one of you more than the other depending on who they view as alpha, but I would guess you may be seen as more alpha than your husband, b/c you are around all day. When Sadie was with my ex all day, she definitely saw him as more alpha. She still does, I think.

Offline Teamshredit

• Big Paw Certified
  • Aspen having fun near Mammoth Lakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2006, 12:38:02 pm »
I think your situation is completely normal....play ing hard to get will get their attention for sure. In our household the roommate gets the most love. He works so much that when the puppies do see him they freak out!  :D
We're just mom and dad...no big deal.  ::)
Zane - St Bernard/Shepherd mix
Aspen - Pyr/Malamute mix
Craig - Our Ridgie, has gone over the Rainbow Bridge

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2006, 12:39:31 pm »
That's so weird- I had the exact conversation with my husband last night.  Actually, I was whining that I want another puppy, one who will love me (this said glaring at the dogs who were ignoring me completely and only loving their Dad!)  It's hard not to take it personally but I think it is because Dad is a novelty and never diciplines them!  You and I are with them all the time so it's special when Dad comes home.  Still, it's not fair, Binky was supposed to be MY dog and she really does favor my husband.  I need a puppy...:) 
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat
Jasper-Nigerian Dwarf goat
Ferdinand-Nigerian Dwarf goat

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2006, 11:13:40 pm »
Why do Lady and Grace favor their daddy over me?  It's actually quite depressing. I can spend all day playing with them, walking them, feeding them and taking care of them and when daddy's around it seems like they are all over him.  It's like all I'm good for is the necessities and other than that I'm invisible. 
Lins, it's the same reason my kids, dogs, cats,bunnies & even the guiena pig treat me like a piece of lawn furniture when their daddy gets home every Wed....It's because you are always there taking care of them & Daddy is a novelty!...Believe me, I feel you! :-\
« Last Edit: May 19, 2006, 11:14:35 pm by Gypsy Jazmine »

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2006, 08:10:03 am »
If it was a Lab, you wouldn't have this problem unless your hubby hunted with them.  ;) Labs are attached primarily to the bearer of food.   They love hunting more than food so if there is hunting going on, they will love the hunter more than the food bearer.   ::)  Other than that, the food bearer is the most important person in the world to a Lab.  Only dog I've ever had who was not a fickle lover was my Pyr, Thor.  He loved me best of all, all the time. 
Daphne

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2006, 10:31:59 am »
I am the food bearer.  In the mornings and at night I feed them most often.  I guess I'm just going to have to not take it so personally.  Grace has started coming to me more now...I've been more like an alpha dog than a mommy lately.  She's learning more respect for me now, but still needs me as her mommy too.  Lady cuddles me a lot...Grace is getting there.  I heard that Rotts need your to earn their respect and the rest comes after that.  :)

doggylover

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2006, 10:50:06 pm »
so you think it's nothing to take personally?  I was just SO upset last night that I gave them both the cold shoulder this morning. 
LOL I totally get how you feel.  This is SO not personal.  David and I joke all the time that I'm Badger's personal servant (feeding, cleaning up after, patting, cuddling) and David is GOD.  The thing is, I think there is an Alpha male thing going on here, totally out of your control unless you have an ingenious way of hiding the fact that you are a female from your dog.  There is just nothing you can do to be seen by your dog as the 'most senior' pack member.  That position is held by the lead male, you come next....I KNOW!!!!! Spray yourself with 'Old Spice' or 'High Karate' and see if that makes a difference!
 ;) :D ;)
BTW, Badger always chooses David over me, unless he is hurt, guess who he comes wimpering to with desperation in his eyes when he is hurt?  MOMMY!!!!!!!!