Author Topic: anyone know much about Doodles?  (Read 22147 times)

Offline itstemptingme

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Re: anyone know much about Doodles?
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2008, 07:29:45 pm »
hello i noticed  your question so i thought i would tell you what i've found , i dont own any of the 2 just a standard poodle but i groom the breeds alot ... they both seem to be hiper breeds . how ever i did notice that the lab doo seems to pick up on things faster . we struggle a little more with calming to gold doos . they both seem to have great personality. but i would say that a well trained gold doodle is my kind of dog . altough they start out harder a well trained gold doo has proved to steel my eye more than the lab doo.

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2008, 08:06:19 pm »
We have quite a few "oodles" come into work and I have to say that I much prefer the golden doodles to the labradoodles.  Better looking (I like their terrier looking coats) and definitely not as hyper.  Usually a bit smaller too, but not always.

We have one golden doodle that I would totally consider getting.  He is soooooo laid back, he def. takes after a golden's personality.  And he is the best looking designer dog I think I've ever seen.  Big, he's at least 30in at the shoulder, probably a bit bigger, and he "smiles" for you.........lo l.

Just a side thought.  We also have a regular pup that comes in, she's a dachshund/yorkie mix.  So i was wondering, would she be considered a dorkie?.  ::)

Sorry, I'm a bit of a dorkie myself.   ;D

Offline kealoha812

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • "Life is short, Buy the shoes!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2008, 08:12:00 pm »
We have 3 golden doodles in our therapy dog group and they are all very bright and well mannered. Great temperments. Hyper? Not really, they like to play but not more hyper than any of the other dogs in the group. But then again, they are very well trained since they are therapy dogs. I guess they can be like any breed and seem hyper if they are not socialized and trained often.
"A righteous man regardeth the life of his animals" Proverbs 12:10
Meli - Golden retriever
Timber - newfie/border collie X
2 skin kids - ages 5 & 8
2 cats - Maui and Maea (who own us all)

Offline Edwpang

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2008, 08:46:45 pm »
I rescued Butter as a Goldendoodle, but he turned out to be more like a lab with much short fur. I am not sure if he is hyper or not, but he is the most friendly dog I have ever seen. When a visitor comes, he is very happy for the first 5 minutes or so, if not controlled, he may jump onto the visitor if they are too happy or too scared.  Otherwise, he'd just sniff and lean on the person. But after 5 minutes, he usually calms down and lies down at the feet of the visitor. An incident happened today: a client came through the back door by himself(my wife is a acupuncturist), Mr. Butter rushed down to meet the guy, and jumped onto the guy several times, he fell down by himself to avoid Butter. I am not sure if Butter was too excited or not happy about the intruder...
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 02:07:28 pm by Edwpang »

Offline AdinaP

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2008, 08:49:57 pm »
I have two labradoodles, am on many doodle forums, and run my own doodle website.  From my experience they are fairly similar with slight differences based on the differences between goldens and labs.  I think the goldendoodles (GD's) tend to shed less in the first generation than labradoodles in the first generation (but my evidence is anecdotal).  GD's may be a little more mouthy as far as wanting to carry things in their mouth, etc.  And aren't golden retrievers a bit more energetic than labs in general? 

Adina
www.DoodleKisses.com

Offline AdinaP

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2008, 08:51:59 pm »
To greek4...anoth er thing for everyone to consider is that just like in the "pure breed" world there are both good and bad breeders.  Many doodle breeders do OFA or PennHIP testing as well as CERF and vwd clearances and genetic testing on their breeding dogs.  Very common actually.  But you have to look to find those breeders.

Adina
www.DoodleKisses.com

Offline AdinaP

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2008, 08:54:17 pm »
I've also heard that they are extremely hyperactive. Although I have never personally met one to make my own judgement.

SOME can be, just like SOME poodles and goldens and labs can be.  I have two labradoodles. One is very low energy -- he'll plop over to rest faster than my 13 y.o. border collie and he's TWO!  The other is 3 y.o. and has far more spunk/energy--yet NEITHER of them bounce off the walls.  They can go days without walks and be fine, energy/annoyance wise =)  A lot is training, a lot is good breeding (meaning breeders who breed for a mellow temperament).

Adina
www.DoodleKisses.com

Offline AdinaP

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2008, 09:00:33 pm »
You are going to come across every problem that you would with any other mixed breed.  You are taking two totally different dogs and attempting to create something non shed.  They certainly are not hypo allergenic like all the bybs claim, and the chances of them being non shed is 50% because you are combining a non shed breed with a highly shedding breed.  There is no way to gurantee temperment either because neither dogs will be from champion tested lines....

A good breeder (and I know pure breed breeders will have issue with my calling any mutt breeder "good" but bear with me) will NEVER claim a first generation (even a second generation F1b) is hypo-allergenic.  The ones who do claim such things don't even know anything about the dogs they are breeding.  A good breeder will not sell a first generation doodle to a very allergic person because they don't want to chance a rehome. 

And while you can't guarantee temperament, a good breeder will spend time with the litter and be able to evaluate each pup's temperament and screen buyers and make good matches between pups and families.  I realize you can't predict everything about a puppy from birth.  BUT both of my labradoodles puppy personalities reflected their current personalities QUITE well.  Rosco, my mellow therapy dog, was a mellow pup.  Thule, was not and is still more energy than Rosco.  So careful matching of personalities and buyer screenings help.  And many good doodle breeders breed dogs with an even keel, mellow personality for this purpose.

My breeder had all her breeding dogs hip cleared, eye cleared and more to ensure healthy dogs before breeding.  There are lots of doodle breeders who get all these clearances on their breeding stock and will NOT breed a dog with bad hips, eyes, or other conditions that can be passed on to the litter.  Sure BYB's don't...but BYB's don't do much that is good.