Author Topic: Tonka is sick  (Read 18034 times)

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Tonka is sick
« on: May 28, 2006, 01:04:21 am »
My poor Tonka is really sick! :-[  He started thowing up this morning and isn't eating.  I have even tried giving him turkey and he won't take it!! :-\
I took him to the vet earlier this afternoon and the vet says it is probably due to the food switch (nutro to canidae)and that some dogs are more sensitive than others.  He gave me a prescription for Amoxcyllin (sp)and said he should start feeling better in 2-3 days.
I just don't know what to do!!  He is drinking water, but won't eat...he already is starting to look emaciated just after one day of no eating and throwing up.  He is also very lethargic and gets up only to go out and use the bathroom.
Any suggestions on how to get him to eat or anything else I can do?  I am really worried! :-\
I am kind of a big deal!

Gypsy Jazmine

Re: Tonka is sick
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2006, 01:11:08 am »
Poor Tonka!!...Give it until tomorrow morning & see if he isn't feeling better...If not call the vet back...Did you switch the food cold turkey?...I've always had problems coming out the back end with a sudden food change not out the mouth...Do you have anything to calm his tummy?

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2006, 01:16:32 am »
No I did a 50/50 switch, but I guess it was still too much.

What can I give him for his stomach, Pepto??  He hasn't thrown up since this afternoon (and it is just liquid), but he is so pitiful it is breaking my heart.  He has not gotten up from his bed except to go outside and when I sit beside him to pet him he just lays there half heartedly wagging his tail.
I am kind of a big deal!

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2006, 01:31:37 am »
I have Kaopectate but it's from the vet...I can't remember if it's Kaopectate or Pepto that changed it's formula so it's no longer safe for dogs...Let me go do a search & see what I can find for you...Hang in there! :-*
O.k...It's Kaopectate that is no longer safe for dogs...Pepto is o.k...Here's a link...
http://www.placervillevet.com/canine%20gastroenteritis.htm
« Last Edit: May 28, 2006, 01:38:33 am by Gypsy Jazmine »

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2006, 02:04:05 am »
Thank you for that link!  That has actually made me feel a lot better! 
He has no fever or diarhea (sp)and he is alert. If he goes all night with throwing up again I will try the rice, today he has refused all food though.  I am gonna try the pepto too.
Thanks so much!
I am kind of a big deal!

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2006, 02:07:44 am »
Thank you for that link!  That has actually made me feel a lot better! 
He has no fever or diarhea (sp)and he is alert. If he goes all night with throwing up again I will try the rice, today he has refused all food though.  I am gonna try the pepto too.
Thanks so much!
You are most welcomed Stacey!...I not only love my dogs I love all dogs!....& I understand how you feel!...Let me know how Tonka is doing tomorrow! :)

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2006, 06:48:41 am »
Just an FYI...
Since 2003: Kaopectate and Pepto both contain the same amount of the active ingredient Bismuth subsalicylate (262 mg). So you are looking at pretty much the same medicine. So if one is not safe either is the other.

The truth is most DOGS (not cats) tolerate both products just fine. Kaopectate is my vets choice of diarrhea medication stating all drugs have possible side effects. She does not feel that possible side effects or the amount of dogs who have shown them warrant the stop uses some have given it.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2006, 06:59:08 am by VdogLover »

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2006, 07:05:50 am »
Tonka

How are you feeling now?  Are you getting better?

Hope everything is going better this morning.

Please let us know.

It is SO sad when one of our babies isn't feeling well :(

Icerotti

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2006, 08:38:52 am »
Oh no Tonka. I hope you are feeling better soon. :) :-*

Offline BarkleysMum

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Our Picture Trail Albums
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2006, 10:47:20 am »
It's such a helpless feeling when they're not feeling well.  Hope he rallies round soon and chases this bug right out of your home!!
Sandy
Newly owned by Anna Banana, kind of owned by Sheba
and always remembering Barkley - crossed the Bridge on May 19, 2006.

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2006, 10:52:42 am »
He woke up again at about 3 am throwing up some more, but hasnt since then so I gave him back a little water.  Still not eating anything though, so I am going to make him some rice if he doesn't throw up for the next hour...I don't know if he will eat at all though.
I am kind of a big deal!

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2006, 11:26:17 am »
He said the new food would change the bacteria in his stomach??  So the Amoxcillin would help that??? 
I was kinda confused by that too, but I figured he should know what he is talking about. 
I don't know if I should just switch him back...I was trying to do something better for him...I didn't expect this to happen! :-[
I am kind of a big deal!

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2006, 11:36:37 am »
HELP!!!  HE IS THROWING UP ALL OVER THE PLACE!!! :'(
I am kind of a big deal!

Icerotti