Author Topic: Tonka is sick  (Read 17982 times)

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: Tonka is sick
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2006, 06:20:33 pm »
Have you tried ice chips?  Also, unsalted, non-fat chicken broth (boil skinless chicken breasts and then cool) with a tiny bit of cooked rice should help.  I'd keep him on that for at least two days.  You can also freeze the chicken broth for really special "popsicles".  Sometimes that goes down easier because there isn't much volume.

Fingers and paws crossed for you!!!  I keep checking for up-dates.  This seems to be a bit excessive for just switching foods too fast.  It does seem like it could be some kind of a bug....

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2006, 07:24:41 pm »
You guys are soo great!!  I am trying the ice chips and they seem to be better than the water cuz he can't inhale it (should have thought of that earlier!)
No vomiting for the last 8 hrs so I will try some rice and broth in a little bit.
He is up and walking around a bit more and seems to be a little better, he is back to being curious every time I walk in the kitchen...so I am taking that as a good sign and trying to be optimistic.

Do you mean actual pumpkin??  Do I buy a can or do I have to find a real pumpkin?? 
« Last Edit: May 28, 2006, 07:25:57 pm by Stacey »
I am kind of a big deal!

Offline MafiaPrincess

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2006, 07:54:19 pm »
Oh no no hun.  We aren't trying to make extra work for you.  A can of pumpkin.  The stuff without the spices in it.
~I'm changing my naughty ways to naughtier ones~

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2006, 09:19:55 pm »
He pooped on his own just a little bit a go...not much...but it was a little.  He still is refusing food, I cooked some rice and he tasted it and that is it.  He is taking water in very small doses (melting ice cubes).
He is up and moving about and he actually just grabbed one of his toys (he has been completely ignoring them since yesterday...VE RY out of character!) and he swung it around for a second.
(KNOCK ON WOOD)he has not thrown up since this morning (please don't jinx-please don't jinx!)
I really hope he starts eating, it is getting to the point where I don't want to let him outsided because of how skinny he is looking after not eating for 2 days!
I am kind of a big deal!

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2006, 09:54:13 pm »
Yea!...it sounds like Tonka is on the mend!...I have been truly concerned about him!...Maybe try mixing some sodium free chicken broth with the rice & see if he'll eat that or at least drink the chicken broth...Let us know how he is doing later or tomorrow morning..K? :)

Offline LuvmyMal

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2006, 08:03:09 am »
Did they do a fecal exam on him? Nala was acting the same way and come to find out she has coccidia! I tried everything under the sun to get her to eat and she would not. Also the vet is currently checking her old food since I opened the new bag she refused it and still is, but now will eat Tonka's food. She was on Nutro Ultro Lg Breed Adult. Will let you guys know what the vet says. Hope he gets better

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2006, 08:29:46 am »
Well he still hasn't eaten!  He is taking water and he is not throwing up but still refusing food...He has not eaten since Saturday morning.  He seems to be feeling better though and is regained interest in the family and being close to us.  Instead of lying on his bed he is coming and poking his nose in my daughters face and walking back the bedroom to wake up my husband.

No, they didn't do a fecal on him.  I have been half wondering if maybe I got a bad bag of food or something. I haven't heard of coccidia...I am gonna google that.
I am kind of a big deal!

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2006, 08:33:29 am »
It says the main symptom of coccidia is diarhea and we have been dealing more with constipation.  He went poop yesterday but not much and it was really firm.
Tonkas main problem is the vomiting (knock on wood--not anymore).
Now I just need to know how to bring back his appetite.
I have tried the rice and the broth I guess I will try the boiled hamburger...he just seems completely uninterested.
I am kind of a big deal!

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2006, 09:29:03 am »
Have you tried hand feeding him?  Chester refuses food often and I hand feed him a lot.  Have you tried just the chicken broth...or try freezing it until it's slushy.  He might like that better.  You just have to get that first bit of food down him and he should improve dramatically.  Then you have to control the amount he gets....just a tiny bit at a time so his system doesn't get overwhelmed.  Maybe a quarter cup every couple of hours until you're sure it's going to stay down.

Good luck!!! ;)

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2006, 10:16:09 am »
How do I force him?  Is it like giving a dog a pill??..just put the rice in his mouth and hold it closed til he swallows?? 
I am going to try the chicken broth in a little while, now that I am assured he is holding down normal amounts of water.
I am kind of a big deal!

DakotaMom

« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2006, 10:32:11 am »
Prays for Tonka from our house. I hope he feels better soon.

We have been through two obstructions with Dakota. They were not fun. Neither one showed up on xrays. The first one was the worst because the vet let him sit for almost a week on IV's because she thought it was pancreatitus. I tried to tell her that he was plugged.

Icerotti

« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2006, 10:35:15 am »
Beef boullion(sp?) cubes works well too. Mix it up with the water. You can freeze them in an ice cube tray. Then chip them up into ice chips.

Poor Tonka--feel better soon buddy. Stacey you are doing a great job hang in there ;)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2006, 10:40:39 am by Icerotti »

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2006, 11:01:14 am »
Well I just forced about 2 tbsp of rice, he didn't like it...but so far he is holding it down.  He seems to be cautiously enjoying the chicken broth.  Now it is just a waiting game to see if he will hold it down and eat again.

He is not showing any signs of abdominal pain or discomfort neither by himself (lunging/stretching or any crying) or when touched.  He has no fever and he is sleeping fine, he lately seems to be getting more social.  Tonka had an obstruction a while back and this just, so far, seems completely different symptomaticall y (am I wrong in assuming the symptoms would resemble each other from one time to another?)

Thank you all so much for your thoughts, prayers and advice.  I am just so worried about him.  If he is not eating on his own before the days over I am going to have to return to the vet..so keep those fingers and paws crossed.  The eating seems to be the last hurdle to cross.
I am kind of a big deal!

k2campbell

« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2006, 11:03:06 am »
I sure hope Tonka is feeling better, and soon!  My thoughts and prayers are with you, here's to a quick turn around! ;)