Author Topic: Not Giving up on Ice!  (Read 8794 times)

Offline cue755

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Not Giving up on Ice!
« on: May 28, 2006, 06:19:47 pm »
Ice will be 1 yr and 10 months soon, We have been in a Financial bind for almost a year now, we are going to get Ice fixed, and with my back Problem I can not walk Ice, he's getting to be a load, since I'm unable to socialize him, he is getting agressive towards anyone who is a stranger around here, he barks and growls, my wife and I can hardly handle him, He does listen to me sometimes but other days he's a handful, my wife is finally getting more used to him and he's starting to listen to her, he will sit while I get his food and will not eat till I tell him ok, he has favorite toys and if I tell him he can't have them, he lets them alone will not touch, so I think he has alot of potential?  I think alot of his problem is not socialized! My Wife and I love him alot, but there are alot of kids in our neighborhood and his agression sometimes scares us! He loves to play and is very energetic! He can be so loving but lately we are not giving him loving all the time, we want him to earn being petted, he tries forcing himself on us, tries to be domainant with us but we are teaching him it doesn't work like that! He is coming around alittle! He hardly ever just lays down, he's a ball of energy! Suggestions are welcome, we hope to get him to mellow alittle? Hope it happens :o) Well Take Care all and Sorry so long we are just worried about ice :o) Also we live in Ohio :o) Ices Dad
Ice & Ices Dad

Offline mariannawoof

• Ankle Biter
  • gotta love the kisses
    • View Profile
Re: Not Giving up on Ice!
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2006, 06:23:52 pm »
good for you!~  keep up the good work!

xoxo marianna
Hugs & wags -
Marianna, Riley & Duffy

Offline horsepoor21

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2006, 07:17:27 pm »
Ice is just beautiful ! I *love* his markings ! I don't know anything about great danes so hopefully someone else will come on soon and help you out , good luck with Ice , I think he's a keeper  ;D
-Amy
Moose-Border Collie/Newfoundland rescue
Allie-Newfoundland
Spook-Newfoundland
Whiskey-Arabian
Wolverine-Cockatiel
Polly&Rainbow-Lovebirds (with 3 babies!)
Crush-Painted Turtle

"Every boy should have two things:
 A dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2006, 07:59:44 pm »
I think your doing great with the making him work for everything.  You are definitely on the right path.  What I recently found out is that obedience work is especially good for energy draining.  I have an aussie and it works fairly well with her and the newf is always worn out after her obedience classes.  And you don't necessarily have to do it outside.  Put him in stays, maybe teach him a few more tricks, just make sure he gets a mind workout with maybe some fetch for physical exertion.  Good luck I hope it helps and definitely keep us updated...hope fully the dane people can offer more suggestions too.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

doggylover

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2006, 08:38:01 pm »
I agree with everything Tina said, but I actually think the best thing would be for your wife to walk him.  She could go to the store and try out different 'leaders' on him, different collars.  She should have no trouble walking the dog.  Have her watch a few episodes of 'The Dog Whisperer' if she is concerned. 
The other thing is, I don't know what all your back problems involve, but I have had chronic back problems and so does my step dad.  We are both very tall, and we both have nerve problems.  My husband is a chiropracter and I even ran this by him.  Unless you are stuck flat on your back unable to move, the best thing for you would be walks.  I know that when you are hurting the last thing you want to do is move, but you should see if you can get muscle relaxers for the back, then move move move. 
I really have to force myself to get up and around, but I do walk regularly if I'm not bedridden from pain (about once every other month I'm unable to even go to the bathroom without hubby carrying me so I know how awful it can be). 
If you can, you should.  Maybe you and Ice could heal eachother...
 :)

Offline cue755

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2006, 07:21:49 am »
Really Sad to say but I'm unable to walk and take care of ice as I should, my Wife is having a hard time trying to control him, he just doesn't want to listen to her if I'm not around! We are hopeful that we will find a good home for him, if any interests please let us know? We will give him to a place where he can run and be able to be Happy, thats what is important to us, for Ice to be Happy! You all know on here how he is right now, we would love to give him to a trainer? He is a sweet dog but Growls and Barks at strangers, sad to say we are unable to meet his needs, I never planned on being hurt so long, its been over a year already. Hope People will not write rude things about us here, we are just Looking for a good Home for Ice! Thanks, Ed and Diane, Ices Dad and Mom
p.s. we are in Ohio
Ice & Ices Dad

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2006, 07:27:58 am »
Absolutely wouldn't consider writing mean things - you want the best for your dog and friend; life has given you something that is difficult to handle (not the dog) the pain, and you are to be comendend for trying to do the right thing for your fur baby.

Icerotti

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2006, 07:32:48 am »
Sometimes the situtations in our lives change. We cannnot always control these and they are not always a change in our favor. You have to do what is right for you in your current situation. I wish the best in finding a new home for Ice.

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2006, 08:52:14 am »
You are doing what's best for him....none of us can find fault in that.  I wish you the best of luck in finding him a good home. 
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2006, 10:09:11 am »
Where do you live in Ohio?

Out near Cincinnati, I volunteered at Circle Tail, they train service dogs and have a shelter.  I was able to bring my dogs, who go to see other dogs, people, and experience many different things.  But the intact part might be a problem.
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

doggylover

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2006, 11:11:43 pm »
We aren't 'allowed' to say 'mean' things on this board, which I think, is part of why it is pleasant here.  That said, I wouldn't want to say anything mean even if it were tolerated. 
I don't know what the solution is, but I know that you will keep looking until you find a great situation for your big boy.  I still think it might be interesting to call Cesar and see if he would be willing to come out to your house!  (OK maybe I'm projecting, I would LOVE to have him come to our house!)
Good luck with the back problem; it is soooo frustrating to be in that kind of debilitating pain.   

Offline cue755

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2006, 08:53:42 pm »
We have listed Ice with Great Dane Rescue, He is on their list and they said when they have a foster home  available, they can come get him! I just want him to have a big Yard and be able to Run free and Enjoy the rest of his Life! All we ask is Ice to be Happy! Sure we will miss him but us knowing he is in a loving home will ease our Hearts! Ed and Diane
Ice & Ices Dad

Nicole

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2006, 09:00:54 pm »
Hey Ed and Diane,
 I am in Indiana and I could absolutely foster Ice for you. I don't know how that would work or interfere with Dane rescue, but I live on a 30 acre farm...it'd be a great place for him. I'm a student, so I'm home a lot. How does he do with other dogs? Ever met horses? I'll PM you my number if you'd like to talk about it.
Nicole

cricket36580

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2006, 05:37:50 am »
I'd take him in a  heartbeat!  Only, I'm approx. 2000 miles from you. :(  My heart breaks reading this thread.  I know you love him so much and I applude your desire to do what's right and best for Ice.  I wish I knew something I could do to help.

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2006, 05:31:03 pm »
I am sorry you have had to make such a hard decision about Ice. I know you have his best interest in mind and I am glad that you are waiting for him to find a dane loving home through rescue instead of just taking him to the humane society.
RIP former BPO