Author Topic: Roxy won't eat!  (Read 10637 times)

Offline Liberty

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Roxy won't eat!
« on: May 29, 2006, 06:47:17 am »
She refuses to eat her kibble anymore. My husband started adding hamburger or chicken to it just to get her to eat something. I told him maybe we should stop adding "stuff" and just wait it out and see if she will eat when she gets hungry enough. Any suggestions?
Roxy
Saint/Newf mix

k2campbell

Re: Roxy won't eat!
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2006, 07:38:28 am »
What kind of kibble are you feeding her?

What's the weather like (is it really hot)? When it's extremely hot here, sometimes Kate won't eat very much (if not at all).  I am the same way though, you know how sometimes you just aren't hungry?

Is Roxy acting different in any other way?  If not, I wouldn't be too concerned about it unless it goes on for a lengthy amount of time... ;)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2006, 07:39:30 am by k2campbell »

Offline Liberty

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2006, 08:34:05 am »
It just got hot here. She has been doing this for at least a month!
She is on that new Purina Natural.
We don't give her anything with
*by products
*BHA
*BHT
*ethoxyquin
We tried Wellness but she didn't care for that at all. I think it was the overwhelming fish smell. Even the lamb formula had whitefish in it and it smelled.
She eats just fine if we put the add-ins in her food.
BUT, she does get tired of the same add-ins after a while and then "wants to look at a menu again"!!
Is she just being a brat?
Are we adding to it by giving her extras?
Liberty NEVER needed anything extrain her food.
Roxy
Saint/Newf mix

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2006, 08:42:52 am »
We're seeing the same thing here with Bava, I think it is probably the heat, or he has us trained.  We add yogurt, ,parmesan cheese,shredded cheese, cottage cheese, or something else yummy.  We are out of flax-oil, we had been adding that and he would wait to eat until you added it, so maybe our pup is just spoiled :)
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2006, 09:32:31 am »
Both my Newfs refused kibble; and we tried everything.  We now feed Coco's Cuisine and they are doing great.  Maybe look in to it:  www.cocoscanin ecuisine

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2006, 10:40:11 am »
If she is eating some & acting normal I wouldn't worry too much about it...I rarely do add ons here anymmore...I go under the rule that if they are hungry they'll eat...Pippin always eats like a little piggy...Samson & Rosie might have a day or two where they eat very little & then will eat like they are starved when they decide they are hungry enough...I feed Canidae & I know they love it just somedays they don't eat as much as others...How much are you feeding Roxy a day?...How old is she?...I don't know about Leonbergers but Pyrs are not big eaters...I remember times as a younger puppy that Sam didn't finish 3 cups a day....Then he'd hit a growth spurt & eat 5 cups a day.

Offline Liberty

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2006, 11:55:47 am »
Is it the Purina One Natural Blends?  I tried googling purina natural...and came up with nothing

Yep, that's it! :o
Don't know how I missed "poultry by-product!!!!
OMG!!!
What is menadione?
We stay away from the other stuff that I mentioned because Liberty was epileptic and those things (from what I was told) are triggers for seizures and cancer.
Maybe I will try cottage cheese or yogurt. I hate to add stuff at every meal that would put extra pounds on.
She is not overweight now.  She gets 1 1/2 cups in the a.m. and another 1 1/2 cups in the p.m.
Roxy
Saint/Newf mix

Offline MafiaPrincess

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2006, 12:59:00 pm »
Menadione Sodium Bisulfate
 Vitamin K3, synthetic vitamin K.

Feed grade. Also listed as Menadione Dimethyl-Pyrimidinol Bisulfate, Menadione Dimethyl-Pyrimidinol Bisulfite, Menadione Sodium Bisulfate Complex, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite and Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex.

Unnecessary ingredient in dog food. This synthetic version of vitamin K has not been specifically approved for long term use, such as in pet food. It has been linked to many serious health issues.
http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=badingredients

I'd look for a better food without sketchy ingredients.  Beyond that, a dog won't starve itself like a cat.  They are into self preservation.  It's getting mighty hot out.  I know mine gets a little more uppidy about eating when she's warm.

haha Liz beat me to it.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2006, 12:59:55 pm by MafiaPrincess »
~I'm changing my naughty ways to naughtier ones~

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2006, 02:40:19 pm »
I wonder if there is a board our dogs go to for tips on training their humans?  New thread: How to get toppings!  ;D
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2006, 03:23:52 pm »
Haha Kali's the same way luckily it's usually only breakfast that she gives us a hard time about.  We've used Iams gravy, yogurt, TD (Dental Diet kibble aka treats), and my dad adds hot water to her food sometimes which he tells her is gravy ::). And she got Rice Crispies added this morning  :-\. She has us trained...Lace y never gives us any problems just Kali.

I think she's either bored with just kibble or it's the heat.  As long as you only put small amounts in her food I don't think you should have a problem.  Maybe boil a bunch of chicken at the beginning of the week and give her a little mixed in with her food or find non fat stuff to add like yogurt and just rotate.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2006, 03:25:27 pm by chaos270 »
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline Liberty

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2006, 06:25:52 pm »
Thanks everyone for all of the info and suggestions!
I totally agree that Roxy has us trained!!
I will try the yogurt. I haven't tried that yet.
We have been cooking a bunch of chicken or hamburger on Sunday for the whole week, but she seems to be bored with that now!
I am also going to gradually switch foods. I don't think they carry Canidae around here. I have never seen it.
Roxy
Saint/Newf mix

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2006, 06:41:45 pm »
I agree with everyone else that she is just bored of her food. We had the same problem with Zoey's last food - after awhile, she got bored of it and we had to start adding things to it or else she would skip meals. I eat a lot of chinese food, so I would add a tablespoon of warm white rice - if I had lots extra, I cut it into tablespoon sized peices and froze it, then just nuked a cube for 30 seconds before adding her kibble. If we had leftover meat, I'd add a bit of that. A splash of beef/chicken broth or a sprinkle of cheese were other ones we used a lot.

Once we switched foods, she started eating it without toppings again. I think she just likes the flavor of this food better for now.

One thing I would look into if you want to add meat toppings instead of having to cook hamburger all the time, check out dick van pattens food rolls. When we were still adding toppings, I thought about getting some of those to chop up and add on top.
RIP former BPO

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2006, 11:16:08 am »
Lady and Grace eat less when it's really hot.  I turn the air on and they go to town.  But normally we do add yogart to their food at night. 

doggylover

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2006, 11:31:19 am »
I wonder if there is a board our dogs go to for tips on training their humans?  New thread: How to get toppings!  ;D
ROFL that is SO cute.  A few months ago we switched Badger to an all raw food diet.  One of the things we learned is that you are supposed to rotate through different foods, not just feed the same old thing every day (so they get variety of nutrients).  Now, Badger does this thing where he sniffs his food like it's some kind of freakin fine wine, then takes a little bite to determine if he likes it, then either eats it and gulps the rest down, or spits it out (hmm maybe he went to a wine tasting class).  Anyway, here is our rule.  You spit your food on me, you lose that meal.  I would do the same thing with kids, I think...this is what's for dinner, it ain't a restaraunt!  Eat it or lump it!
 ;D ;D