Author Topic: Are melons safe?  (Read 4346 times)

Offline Bella's mom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
Are melons safe?
« on: May 31, 2006, 10:29:09 pm »
I just haven't ran across a thread or any articles saying that melons are safe or not.  Specifically, are watermelons, honeydew, or cantalope OK to feed as a snack for my Dane?
Tessie - Belladonna's and Mojo's Mom

doggylover

Re: Are melons safe?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 10:43:51 pm »
My dog is on raw food, and as far as I know, it is safe to feed all fruits to your dog.  I feed Badger oranges and bananas, strawberries, apples, kiwi...you should get other opinions because there could be something about melons that isn't safe, but as far as I know, it's ok. 
OHOHOH...don't feed grapes, or onions!

Offline Bella's mom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 10:52:33 pm »
Thanks, I knew about grapes, but never heard of onions!  I tried apples, but Bella just rubbed her head on it. :D  I guess she just wanted to smell like one. :D

doggylover

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2006, 10:54:44 pm »
OK it bothered me to give advice without being sure.  I looked in my book, "Natural Nutrition for Dogs and Cats" (the most recommended book for raw food diet nutrition.  Here is a short list, according to this book, of foods to NEVER feed your dog or cat:
Sugar:
implicated in hypoglycemia, diabetes, obesity, behavior problems, cataracts, tooth decay, arthritis, allergies, and cancer.

Chocolate:  contains theobromine, caffeine, and sugar (all bad)

Dairy:  dogs and cats are not equipped with the lactase enzyme needed to digest lactose. 

Grain:  they are of no nutritional value to dogs and cats.

Raw Salmon:  only feed very high quality raw fish because of parasites.

Do not feed yeast, grapes, onions.  Garlic is safe in very small amounts.

I hope this is helpful! ;) 

Offline Bella's mom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2006, 11:15:09 pm »
Thanks a ton!  Now I guess I'll see if she just wants to smell like the melons, also. :D :D

doggylover

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2006, 11:17:09 pm »
LOL melons are pretty darn yummy...my money is on her snarfing them down! :D

Offline Bella's mom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2006, 11:29:02 pm »
LOL melons are pretty darn yummy...my money is on her snarfing them down! :D

OMG, she loved it!  I was a little worried at first because I think she was freaked out at the texture (she kept picking up the piece of cantalope and dropping it again).  So, I gave her a piece of watermelon.  She was a little cautious again with it, but figured out pretty quick that it tasted really good!  Then, she decided to go ahead and eat the cantalope.  It was quite a sticky mess on the kitchen floor to clean up. :D  It's bedtime now, but she just wants to sit there and look at me, waiting for her next piece. :D

doggylover

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2006, 11:39:49 pm »
LOLOL that is Badger's reaction to fruit.  He will drop it like 5 times, but keep eating it, then once he realizes how good it is, he drools a HUGE puddle all over my formerly white carpet!
 ;D ;D

GR8DAME

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2006, 07:41:43 am »
My crew can and will unrelentingly BEG for watermelon, cantaloupe, honeydew, bananas, strawberries, apples, kiwi, and oranges. I don't give over a bite or two tho as between the three of them they would eat it til they burst.
Stella

Offline K9ldy00

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2006, 07:59:38 am »
The furkids love very ripe bananas, tangerines, honeydew and apples. Something they don't like about oranges because they won't eat them. I had a Great Pyrenees (Tressa,now at the bridge)who would only eat the inside of the apple, not the skin. She would nibble on the back of the skin like fleas until all the apple was gone. She was a sweety.
Dog Mom to
Dozer, Tealk,Zander,Zeva, Tesla

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2006, 09:38:15 am »
Kali is obsessed with all sorts of fruit especially melons and apples.  Lacey eats it because Kali does but she's obsessed with Orange Juice I guess it's cause she's from Florida.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline MommaBear

• Paw-meister
  • baby bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2006, 09:52:41 am »
Bear loves melons but apples are her favourite...so much more healthier than the other thing that really makes her drool...potato chips

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2006, 11:35:17 pm »
Zoey loves watermelon, but Dolly just spit it out, then licked it up, spit it out, then lick it up. Until of course big sister Zoey came and took it and ate it right in front of her! Glad to know for sure that they're okay for dogs though!
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."