Author Topic: really getting worried  (Read 14234 times)

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
really getting worried
« on: June 02, 2006, 12:45:44 pm »
I just spoke with the vet who said that Tonka is still vomiting and has bloody diarhea.  They have taken a fecal sample to culture and those results may take a couple of days.  He is still not eating (entering day 7 of no food) and is not responding well enough to the antibiotics.  The vet says they are going to change him to Zithromax and see if that will make a difference since it is much stronger than what they have been using.
I am just so worried that this is beginning to look really bleak for Tonka.  7 days without food?!?!  The vet says they have been giving him meds for nausea but once it wears off he vomits.  This new med, Zithromax, is an oral med and the vet says that they need to make sure he can hold it down since it is pretty expensive.
I just wonder, how much (if any) is the fact that he has not eaten in a week possibly contributing to his diminishing health.
I am just so scared that there is no light at the end of Tonkas tunnel! :'(
I am kind of a big deal!

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: really getting worried
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 12:52:15 pm »
Oh, I'm SOO sorry!  I think as long as he's on IV's he's getting enough good stuff to keep him going.  Do they have any idea of what the diagnosis is?  Do you trust your vet that he has the experience to deal with this?  This is sounding really scary!!  Is he in a twenty-four hour care facility?  I'm standing right next to you being worried too!!! :-\

doggylover

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 12:53:41 pm »
OMG I'm sooooo sorry, I was under the impression he was getting better.  Hugs and warm thoughts your way.  Hang in there, we are all here thinking of you!
Ronda :'(

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 12:56:12 pm »
He is being treated for pancreatitis.  He is currently on IV fluids and antibiotics, pain meds, and nausea meds.  He said that his poop is green (TMI) and that worries him (I have been trying to find info on why this is a bad sign). Tonka is in a 24 hr facility/vet hospital.
I just feel myself getting less and less hopeful that he will recover. :-\
I am kind of a big deal!

Offline smsmith

• Leader of the Pack
  • Einstein has changed my life -- for the good!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2006, 12:56:20 pm »
I know letting go of what you have no control over is really hard, but a tense, worried Mom is not going to be good for him.

Ask the vet as many questions as you can think of -- and stay on top of whatever they're doing to help him. 

Like with your own healthcare, the more you know and understand about what's happening the easier it is to accept.  Fear is all about the unknown and having no control -- you don't have control anyway.

In the meantime, I'll be thinking positive thoughts and sending the positive thought-rays to you.

Sarah

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2006, 12:57:28 pm »
In all my own chaos this is the first I hear of Tonka being sick. I am so sorry and I am saying a little prayer as I type this that he will get better soon. Has the vet said what he thinks it may be? Dogs can really surprise you with their recuperative abilities. Don't lose hope yet. Tonka is tough, you know!!
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline nostaw

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2006, 12:59:34 pm »
Bear up, where there ic life there is hope, we are all rooting for you and Tonka.

Andy, Bell and Hovis
Slime flies when you're having fun!

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2006, 01:06:04 pm »
Thinking about y'all and sending the best of thoughts to you and Tonka... hang in there big guy... we are all pulling for you!

DakotaMom

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2006, 01:13:26 pm »
We are sending super hugs and healing thoughts your way. I know how hard this can be not knowing what the problem might be.

We are all worrying with you.

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2006, 01:16:50 pm »
I'm so sorry to hear Tonka is still not well. I will keep him in my thoughts.

Not sure if this has been ruled out but Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD) can cause green stool, vomiting (more so in dogs then humans),vomiting bile, blood in the stool, depression, and anorexia.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 01:17:59 pm by VdogLover »

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2006, 01:28:06 pm »
I'm so sorry to hear Tonka is still not well. I will keep him in my thoughts.

Not sure if this has been ruled out but Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD) can cause green stool, vomiting (more so in dogs then humans),vomiting bile, blood in the stool, depression, and anorexia.

That is a complete list of all of Tonkas symptoms!!  I believe this is one of the things they are testing for with the fecal culture.
I am going to call my vet and ask if this has been considered because Tonka is suffering everything you have listed!
I am kind of a big deal!

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2006, 04:45:22 pm »
I just returned from a visit with Tonka :'(.  He is a bag of bones and so weak he can barely lift his head, much less muster the energy to stand.  The vet says they should have the fecal results by tomorrow and will no more then, hopefully.  In the meantime, they have given him a round of two different kinds of antibiotics to try to cover some bases.  His white cell count is still elevated (indicating his body is fighting an infection) but has gone down a little.  He is still unable to hold down food and has been put back on IVs since he seems unable to hold down water again.  When I went to leave he got up and tried to come with me and I had to help the vet lead him back to the kennels. 
She said that since he seemed pretty sad in the kennel run (seperated from everybody) they have just been letting him hang out in the treatment area with everybody since he is more comfortable with people around him.
I am sorry most of my posts recently have been about me, me, me....I am just beside myself and don't know where else to turn with my concerns.  Thank you all for listening and uplifting me a little.
I am kind of a big deal!

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2006, 05:21:41 pm »
I am so sorry to hear that Tonka is going through this!!! :'( Poor baby!! I can't imagine what you are going through, it must be so hard on you. The most important thing is that Tonka knows how much you love him, he knows he can count on his mommy to make sure he gets the best care when he feels bad.

Hang in there and I hope to hear some better news soon, my Danes are all sending good healing thoughts to Tonka.
Feel better soon, big guy!!! :-* :-*

Offline K9ldy00

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2006, 05:29:30 pm »
I'm saying a prayer for Tonka and sending healing vibes his way. I hope he recovers soon.
Dog Mom to
Dozer, Tealk,Zander,Zeva, Tesla

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2006, 05:30:48 pm »
Please don't apologize!!!  I have been there and I'm sure everybody else as gone through it as well.  It IS awful!  Lucille, my female Newf had pancreatitis as a side effect of IMT (immune mediated thrombocytopen ia....from a deadly reaction to her immunizations) and she went through a lot of what you are talking about.  I used to just sit with her in my lap in the treatment area rubbing her head and talk with her quietly.  It always seemed to help...me at the very least.  She was always in the treatment area where people could talk to her and keep her company. 

Keep hoping, keep visiting and staying with Tonka as long as you can.  I think it not only boosts his spirits but gives him the will to fight as well.

Cyber hugs to you all!!!  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*