Author Topic: Rough elbows on Bella!  (Read 3282 times)

Offline Bella's mom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
Rough elbows on Bella!
« on: June 05, 2006, 11:24:40 pm »
I know that danes can be prone to callouses on their elbows from lying on hard surfaces, but I try to always let Bella lay on something soft.  She sleeps on my bed at night, and when she is in her crate, she has her crate bed (although she does sometimes push it completely to the side and lay on the cool plastic tray ::)).  She has a couple of areas at her elbows that are just kind of bare and rough (nothing big,...yet).  Does anyone know of anything that can help prevent these from getting worse?  Ointments, creams, ...any kind of help!
Thanks!
Tessie
Tessie - Belladonna's and Mojo's Mom

Offline smsmith

• Leader of the Pack
  • Einstein has changed my life -- for the good!
    • View Profile
Re: Rough elbows on Bella!
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2006, 08:13:00 am »
I'm relieved to know Einstein's not the only dog that has this problem.  He has elbows -- just like me!  UH, except his have lots of hair growing around them!!!!!!  His skin is so pink, his elbows look human.

Anyway, I'd be curious to know if there's a "remedy" -- although I've gotten so use to seeing his elbows, it doesn't seem abnormal to me any more.

Sarah

Offline Bella's mom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2006, 12:26:12 pm »
Bag Balm?  I'm not familiar with that, and where can I get it?
Thanks
Tessie - Belladonna's and Mojo's Mom

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2006, 07:58:49 pm »
I was going to say bag balm too. That's the same thing we use for Zoey's calluses when they get rough and it works really well. Other that soothing it with ointment, there's not much you can do - big dogs will always get spots because so much pressure goes on their elbows, and after awhile they get hard and don't cause problems anymore. Zoey's were terrible this time last year, but now they are totally fine
RIP former BPO

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2006, 08:56:13 pm »
I use this stuff called Protecta-Pad, paw pad and elbow cream (made by Tomlyn). Sammy has big callouses that I am trying to work on. A friend of mine recommended this stuff to me, he said it has made his Dane's callouses almost completely disappear. :) I don't know what's in it, but it smells like toothpaste. Minty! :D

Offline smsmith

• Leader of the Pack
  • Einstein has changed my life -- for the good!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2006, 08:08:34 am »
Does it help the hair to come back?  I mean, if the callous is gone, are the hair follicles still there ?
Sarah