Author Topic: Dog Park Rant  (Read 4153 times)

rickysmom1

Dog Park Rant
« on: June 07, 2006, 10:32:02 pm »
We had a bad dog park night (well the last 20 mins were bad) so I had to vent. Every wed. and thurs. evening I take Willow, Tater and my son to the dog park for a couple of hours. Usually a good time is had by all. The people at this particular dog park are super friendly and for the most part are great about keeping a handle on there dogs. Tonight was a different story. For the 1st hour and a half Tater and Willow were having a blast. Willow even let strangers pet her (which is a miracle to say the least). About 20 mins. before we left a couple come in with there beagle and Tater immediately wanted to play and off they went. All of a sudden the male owner of the beagle decided to "pretend" to attack his dog. This in turn scared the bejesus out of Tater and he went after the guy and since Tater freaked out Willow ran over to protect Tater and she freaked out. The guy tried to make it out like my dogs didn't know how to play and that they should understand that he was playing. I just looked at him and said "anyone with any sense would know that not ALL dogs play the same way and DOGS don't always understand when WE humans are playing. Just because you play like that with your dog doesn't mean I play like that with mine." Then I dragged Willow off (which is FAR from easy) to settle her down and My son got Tater's attention and he went off to play. Willow was cranky for the rest of the time we were there and the good feeling we had when we came in was now gone. This incident won't stop me from taking my dogs to that particular park, but if I see that couple and there dog again We'll definitely leave right away. Anyway, I needed to get that off my chest and thanks for "listening".

Icerotti

Re: Dog Park Rant
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2006, 07:53:37 am »
What was they guy thinking?,,,guess he wasn't or isn't caplable of thinking.... :-X
Sorry you had to experince such a negative thing. Hope your next visit is much better ;D
« Last Edit: June 08, 2006, 07:54:05 am by Icerotti »

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2006, 08:48:42 am »
That guy is extremely lucky he didn't get bit....acting threateningly toward a dog who's part of a pack in the dog park is really stupid!  I hope he doesn't come back it stinks that he ruined it for you.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

enuffpaws

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2006, 09:05:42 am »
One word says it all (MORON) lol

Sorry he ruined your fun family time.

dale ;)

rickysmom1

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2006, 01:55:34 pm »
Thanks everyone. We'll definitely be going back. This particular dog park is just too nice and one guy out of the many we've met won't ruin it for us. Maybe next time I'll let Willow knock him down or smack him with her HUGE paw.  ;D

Offline brinks

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2006, 06:01:50 pm »
ooh, sorry I didn't see your post.  I just posted a similar story as well.  People wonder why there are sooo many dog bites every year....omg, what an idiot.

Offline WI Em

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2006, 10:55:51 am »
When a dog is trained in guarding, (nevermind their natural instinct to protect their pack!) that dog will "freak out" on what is precieved as a threat. Was this guy hoping to arouse every dog in the park? :o I'm certainly no expert on caninc psychology, but I know enough not to do something THAT

Offline WI Em

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2006, 11:00:21 am »
Let me think, I'm going to pretend to attack my dog in a park where there may be dogs trained in guarding and dissuation... that must mean I'm an absolute FOOL!!!!  >:(

Regardless if your dog is trained in that manner, all dogs will protect other members of their pack from what looks like a threat. This guy must have wanted to arouse the entire dog park! Lucky for him you're a responsible owner and keep track of what your dogs are doing.