Author Topic: How many hours does a 5 mos. great dane puppy need to sleep?  (Read 6852 times)

Offline barbiedoll

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Hi there,

My Rocky seems to sleep alot.  He is 5 months old.  He wakes up around 7:00AM  goes back to sleep around 9:00 Am  Wakes up about 11:00 goes back to sleep around 1:00.  Wakes up at about 3:30 (seems to know when the kids are getting off the bus already!!) and stays up until about 8:00 then that is it for the night!!!

Does he sleep so much during the day because I am so boring?? He seems to stay up longer when the kids are around.

Barb

doggylover

Re: How many hours does a 5 mos. great dane puppy need to sleep?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2006, 12:46:03 pm »
Hi there,

My Rocky seems to sleep alot.  He is 5 months old.  He wakes up around 7:00AM  goes back to sleep around 9:00 Am  Wakes up about 11:00 goes back to sleep around 1:00.  Wakes up at about 3:30 (seems to know when the kids are getting off the bus already!!) and stays up until about 8:00 then that is it for the night!!!

Does he sleep so much during the day because I am so boring?? He seems to stay up longer when the kids are around.

Barb

ROFL he is sleeping so much because he is a Dane, growing at WARP speed.  He is staying awake when the kids are playing with him because he is on adrenaline, but he needs that much sleep. 
Wait, if it's cause you're boring then my hubby must be boring cause I sure as h*ll would LOVE to be on that sleep schedule!

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2006, 01:17:21 pm »
Don't expect it to change much as he grows either, lol!  Tonka will be a year old this month and he still is sooo lazy!  He plays and romps for about an hour or so and then he is crashed for 2!!  Just be thankful that a dog with Rockys size potential does not have the energy of a lab...can you say DESTRUCTION!?!? :D
Rocky sounds like a perfectly normal, happy, healthy and LAZY Dane!!
I am kind of a big deal!

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2006, 01:51:51 pm »
My dogs are 2-OEM, and 4 New mix and they sleep from 6:30 am - 9:30, play outside for 45 mins, then sleep again until 5 pm.  They they eat and play outside, then they lounge around until 10 pm then sleep until 6 again.
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

rickysmom1

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2006, 02:54:21 pm »
Willow sleeps a ton all day. Mostly due to being a puppy still and in general neo mastiff's aren't super active dogs. Tater sleeps most of the day to save his energy for the dog park (I think  ;D) and chase females when we get there. Anyway, like human babies, puppies just sleep alot. Be glad that your pup does sleep and isn't hyper. Can you imagine a hyper Dane puppie. Good lawd have mercy. LOL

Offline Bella's mom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2006, 05:36:15 pm »
Just be thankful that a dog with Rockys size potential does not have the energy of a lab...can you say DESTRUCTION!?!? :D

Hey, I wish mine was more lazy. :D  Bella doesn't have the energy of a lab, but she has been a SPAZ since she first came home with me at 8 weeks old. :o  I thought that she was a little overly energetic for a dane, and now I know it! 
She has calmed down in the last couple of months, thank God! :D
Tessie - Belladonna's and Mojo's Mom

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2006, 08:14:31 pm »
Just be thankful that a dog with Rockys size potential does not have the energy of a lab...can you say DESTRUCTION!?!? :D

Hey, I wish mine was more lazy. :D  Bella doesn't have the energy of a lab, but she has been a SPAZ since she first came home with me at 8 weeks old. :o  I thought that she was a little overly energetic for a dane, and now I know it! 
She has calmed down in the last couple of months, thank God! :D

LOL!  Tonkas waking hours are SPAZTASTIC!! :D
I am kind of a big deal!

cricket36580

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2006, 08:32:29 pm »
You know, one of these days I'm going  to have a NORMAL dog.   ::)  Baloo lounges like he's supposed to but the other 2 sleep approximately .2 nanosecond/day.  I swear.  I think Fos would probably be a couch potato if Bella wasn't such a spaz.

Offline Bella's mom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2006, 10:30:03 pm »
You know, one of these days I'm going  to have a NORMAL dog.   ::)  Baloo lounges like he's supposed to but the other 2 sleep approximately .2 nanosecond/day.  I swear.  I think Fos would probably be a couch potato if Bella wasn't such a spaz.

Ok, so maybe I don't have an abnormal dane. ;D ;D  Ours are all just totally spastic while awake.
Tessie - Belladonna's and Mojo's Mom