Author Topic: She feeds him Ol Roy!  (Read 4131 times)

Offline Bella's mom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
She feeds him Ol Roy!
« on: June 09, 2006, 11:40:19 pm »
I have a coworker who has an 11 month old Cavalier King Charles Spaniel (I may have got the order of the name wrong  :D) who paid who knows what for this puppy.  She is going out of town to have surgery on his eyes because he has developed juvenile cataracts.  This will cost about $2100. :o  She feeds him Ol Roy from Walmart. ???
As much money as we are willing to pay to take care of our babies, why not spend a few extra dollars and pay for decent food? ???
Tessie - Belladonna's and Mojo's Mom

doggylover

Re: She feeds him Ol Roy!
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2006, 12:47:09 am »
I spoil my dog in every conceivable way, so I don't really get this.  Brad Pitt eats at Carl's Jr. so money doesn't guarantee good taste...
 ;D

Offline marinafb

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2006, 06:25:26 am »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

My crew dine on Wellness and i m thinking about changing but have'nt decided. Everyone knows the key is you get what you put into your dog.In the long run for many health reasons a good kibble will prevent many illness and lengthen there dog lives! Marina
Freya-9 years collie shepard mix
Milo-6 years Pitt Bull
Bryce-3 years English Mastiff
Mab and Angus cool cats

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2006, 07:19:34 am »
I don't want to sound like a dog food slob.  Maybe she just doesn't know any better.

I fed my old boy, Max, Purina.

Tina
I second the ignorance idea!
I never knew about the difference in dog foods until reading it on BPO!  I think most people are just blissfully unaware that the dog food they have chosen can have such negative effects.
My parents have 3 dogs and up until recently, when I talked to my mother about it, had been living on Ol Roy for the past 8 yrs.  They have been upgraded at least to Nutro.
I am kind of a big deal!

Offline 2dogmom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2006, 10:04:45 am »
I was feeding Gus Ol Roy ever since I got him almost two years ago until BPO told me all the gross stuff they put into it. You guys had websites and postings saying that there was dead dogs and all kinds of nasty fillers in them. I immediately stopped feeding it to him and started on Purina. He seems to like it better too.

Offline brinks

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2006, 06:52:35 am »
A few years ago, Consumer Reports did one of their studies on dog food and they ranked Ol Roy waaaaay up there.  WTF?   Perhaps that is why so many peeps are still using it?  Well, that and the cost.  Look at how many people buy dogs and they think they require no maintenance or expense.n  The dog food portion is just another aspect....

cricket36580

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2006, 07:54:29 am »
Hoho's and Kool aid!  I love it!  I always use the McDonald's analogy myself.

I don't think I've ever fed pure trash to my dogs but I didn't really feed well until I got Bella.  I'd been doing quite a bit of research and the timing was coincidental.  There were times when I couldn't afford to feed what I wanted to feed them and many times when buying dog food bit into the human grocery budget but I wouldn't do it any other way.  I can pay for good nutrition now or really BIG vet bills later.