Author Topic: Question about weight in a dogue de bordeaux.  (Read 24558 times)

Offline brinks

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Question about weight in a dogue de bordeaux.
« on: June 10, 2006, 05:22:57 pm »
Just took Brinks to the vet today as he was due to get more interceptor and advantage....H e weighed in at 105 lbs and he's just barely a year.  Is this on track for this breed?  Prior to my Dogue to I owned Bullmastiffs. I know they took a long time to mature.  I raised two of them. I hear of dogues weighing in at MUCH higher weights at a year, perhaps he's going to be small?  His dad was gargantuan...L OL

Offline WI Em

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Re: Question about weight in a dogue de bordeaux.
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006, 08:14:29 pm »
Brinks- I don't think you have much to be worried about. My vet and my trainer all say it's better for them to be on the athletic side than too heavy because of the hip issues our breed can have- not to mention elbows!! Your dogue will continue to grow and is done around 2-ish and I say that loosely. Hope this helps!

Big puppy Bordeaux wave from Wisconsin!

Offline brinks

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2006, 08:06:41 am »
yes, that does help.  I take great care to feed him well, etc.  and he gets alot of exercise each day....we live near the beach.  He's healthy, so that's the most important thing!

Offline WI Em

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2006, 10:43:33 am »
Yep, healthy is most important. And dogues grow up in height, out in weight, up in height... you get the picture.

If the two of you are getting lots of excrecise (swimming?) that may contribute to the low weight. If you're really worried, try feeding your babe an extra cup of food at each feeding, chances are he'll burn it up at the beach! 8)

Offline jamyj

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • Dogster
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2006, 11:41:59 pm »
This may be a bit on the small side for 1 yr, but I wouldn't stress out.  He still has a LOT of time to grow.  DDB's really don't quit filling out until around 3yrs most of the time. 

I have a 6.5 month DDB and worry about the same thing all the time (because I want a BIG dogue, otherwise why get a mastiff?).  He is 73 lbs and I've read so many people online who have "100 lbs at 8 months) or "90 lbs at 7 months" and I wonder if Louie is going to be small.  I think he'll be fine, and the bottom line is he is a beautiful, healthy dog. 

Remember also, DDB's should be ATHLETES FIRST, large second.  I'd rather have a 135 lb athletic dogue that can run, jump, and such, than a fat 165 lb dogue that just lays around but I can say "Hey I've got a 165 lb DDB!".  Think about it.

Hope this helps.
The more people I meet, the more I love my dogs!

Offline Nixx

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • Molosser Breeds
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2006, 03:38:32 pm »
I have a Dogue De Bordeaux, I don't know what the US breed standard states, however here in the UK the Dogue De Bordeaux standards states that dogs should wiegh at least 50kg (110 lbs) and bitches should wiegh at least 45kg (99lbs).

Hope this helps.

Offline Jo14

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2007, 09:13:17 am »
Our DDB, who is no longer with us, was about 140lbs fully grown, our vet said it was better to keep them on the slimmer side so his weight sounds fine to me :)

Offline ashasmum

• Gnawer
  • my two girls
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2007, 03:34:11 pm »
hi there, from the uk, i have a 6month DDB bitch called asha i was a little worried that she may be too lean as i can see most of her ribs faintly through her fur, but she weighs about 35kg now so i presume that is an ok weight? i was thinking about supplimenting her food with tripe?

Mum to Asha and Willow and Paddy the Cat!

Offline Jo14

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2007, 03:53:31 pm »
Hi there

You coudd always see arnolds ribs lightly through his coat and people used to tell us he was to thin, that he should be "massive" etc, but our vet always said he was a perfect weight and if it wasnt for his epilepsy he was in great physical health, with no joint or bone problems so its not always best to let them get to big :)

Offline ashasmum

• Gnawer
  • my two girls
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2007, 03:56:53 pm »
  :D hi there, thanks for the swift reply! didnt realise the time diffence! thats reassuring, we always thought that it was best for them to be lean so that their joints dont get damaged, i suppose its because she is having a growth spurt and we were worried in case she wasnt intaking enough energy but by the way she runs around everywhere, i dont think thats the case!

So sorry to hear yours has epilepsy, thats quite unusual

Offline Jo14

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2007, 04:13:28 pm »
Hiya

Im in the UK also, Arnold (the dogue with epilepsy) isnt with us any more we had tohave him put to sleep before Christmas as it got really bad, but I was told it is not common to the breed, so it didnt put us off another one, as he was a great dog, it was very sad he was only 6.  Im keeping my eye on my new one as he loves his food, he is only about 18 weeks at the moment and 3 stone so will have to watch he dosnt get fat  :o 

Offline ashasmum

• Gnawer
  • my two girls
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2007, 02:05:39 pm »
i am so sorry about your loss, we lost our neo tess at 6 two years ago, we still dont know why, they are the most lovable creatures and it rips your heart out when they pass away, hopefully your new pup will fill your hearts back up with happiness