Author Topic: Small vent, possibly unreasonable on my part  (Read 8670 times)

Offline Mom2Sadie

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Small vent, possibly unreasonable on my part
« on: June 13, 2006, 10:19:43 am »
OK. Maybe I'm being ridiculous, but I'm aggravated so I figured I'd vent it here because if I talk about my dog any more with my friends they may institutionali ze me.

I've been involved with a production of the musical CATS for the last 6 months, it just ended. That's 6 long months of some of the worst music you've ever heard for those of you who aren't familiar with the show. At any rate, this past weekend we finally closed the show in Concord NH. I had to stay up there for the weekend and needed to board Sadie. I had an acquaintance from doing theater who boards dogs with her husband on a huge farm and the dogs are kept in the house and treated as family rather than put in a kennel. I thought this would be much better for Sadie since she's used to being the center of the world  ::) We agreed on $35 per day when I brought Sadie by to look at the place which is more expensive than most places around here by $8 or so, but I figured she'd be well taken care of and it was worth it. They asked for detailed instructions about diet and behaviors, which I willingly gave them. I was very up front about the fact that she needs to be supervised constantly or confined to a place where she can't get into trouble. They asked me where she slept and I said she sleeps in a crate. They asked me to bring the crate with her.

You may be able to tell from my posts ( ;) ;) ;) ) that Sadie is a bit of a handful and I am a bit of an overprotective mother. So when I called to check in on Saturday morning I was informed that Sadie had demolished their study in the middle of the night (in other words, she ripped up lots of books  :)). I asked why she wasn't in her crate and they said she had just settled in with the other dogs so they didn't want to separate her. When I went to pick her up, they charged me the "puppy rate" because of the books - the first I heard about them having a puppy rate and I don't know why they wouldn't have asked for it up front considering she's 6 months old and I flat out told them she's a little terror. It amounts to $10 more per day than we agreed to and I have to tell you I was a bit ticked off. Why ask me to bring a crate and then not use it and then make me pay extra because you didn't follow the instructions? It would be one thing if they said, this is where the dogs sleep, that's it. But they asked where I'd prefer her to sleep and I said she needs to be in a crate. I'd never have left her there if I knew she'd be out all night. Although, to tell you the truth I was more proud of her for not having an accident sleeping outside of the crate than anything else! Then the proceeded to tell me I shouldn't 'let her' jump on counters. I said I don't "let her", she does it and gets corrected every single time. Unfortunately she's as stubborn as an ox and was probably testing boundaries in her new environment. I was just so aggravated with these people. I wouldn't have minded paying the puppy rate as I have a PUPPY but just tell me that up front you know what I mean? Am I being unreasonable?

Anyway, I'm very glad to have more time for BPO, I feel like I've missed so much. And I'm glad to be home with my kiddos. I missed them SOOOO much this weekend, I felt like a psycho!!! And the cast totally did NOT understand like you guys do. Hope you're all well. When I have time to upload pictures, you can all laugh your behinds off at me made up as a kitty.  ;)
Dear Lord,
Just for today, let me be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Shawna
Sadie the Newf
Gus and Maggie - Maine Coon Kitties
Lady the Boxer waiting at the bridge

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
Re: Small vent, possibly unreasonable on my part
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006, 10:36:48 am »
I would be p.o'd too! and I would NOT have paid a rate I didn't agree to - especially if they didn't follow your instructions. What if you had given them instructions to give her medication every 6 hours and they didn't follow those instructions and Sadie got sick? Would they still hold you responsible? Seems like the same thing to me. You cannot be held responsible for their lack of care. That's what it boils down to.

Poor Sadie. So sorry you had a bad experience, but you are justified in your frustration.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline AC

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 10:38:52 am »
OK. Maybe I'm being ridiculous, but I'm aggravated so I figured I'd vent it here because if I talk about my dog any more with my friends they may institutionali ze me.
Sounds like my friends!! :D
I think you have a right to be ticked off about it. They asked where she sleeps, you told them, they used thier own discretion... so it is thier problem. I would of had the leash in hand and refused to pay the extra $10.

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2006, 10:41:00 am »
That's not right!  They shouldn't have charged you more when they were the ones that left her out of the crate and you let them know up front that she is a trouble maker.  They should have given you the puppy rate when you said she could be bad not after the fact.  I'd say take her somewhere else next time.  She could've gotten hurt from being unsupervised.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2006, 10:46:51 am »
Sounds reasonable on your part to me.  What if what she had gotten into wasn't something harmless like books? Would they want to charge you extra for her eating something bad for her?  ::)
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2006, 11:27:23 am »
I ditto everyone else!  That is ridiculous and I would have been pi$$ed!
I am kind of a big deal!

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2006, 11:47:32 am »
Unreasonable?  I'd have slapped them and not paid them a DIME. >:( >:( >:(

They asked for specific instructions, and you gave them to them.  You were paying them to FOLLOW the instructions.  As far as I'm concerned, they failed to take reasonable care of your dog, and don't deserve a dime. 

Did you pay them in cash?  Because if you didn't I'd stop payment on the check or contest the credit card charge and let them SUE me for it.  It might be worth the hassle of small claims court to have it on the record that they don't provide the services they advertise, not to mention the fact that they put your dog in danger by not supervising her!
Sheryl, Dogless and sad

Offline Mom2Sadie

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2006, 12:00:22 pm »
OK, thanks guys. I never know when it's a legitimate frustration or when I'm just being overprotective of her. I did say to them that what if it wasn't books. She could've gotten into something else, rat poison, drano, whatever. I said that to them on the phone though, when they told me about their books and then I just didn't argue with them yesterday morning.

She had a fabulous time there, don't get me wrong. I'm sure they took good care of her, but I think it was negligent on their part and charging me for their stupidity really pi$$ed me off. It's $30 bucks so whatever, it's not a big deal. I just needed to vent about it because it was so obnoxious from my point of view.
Dear Lord,

Shawna
Sadie the Newf

doggylover

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2006, 12:04:59 pm »
Unreasonable?  I'd have slapped them and not paid them a DIME. >:( >:( >:(

They asked for specific instructions, and you gave them to them.  You were paying them to FOLLOW the instructions.  As far as I'm concerned, they failed to take reasonable care of your dog, and don't deserve a dime. 

Did you pay them in cash?  Because if you didn't I'd stop payment on the check or contest the credit card charge and let them SUE me for it.  It might be worth the hassle of small claims court to have it on the record that they don't provide the services they advertise, not to mention the fact that they put your dog in danger by not supervising her!

I have to agree with you.  And BTW Sadie isn't a naughty dog, she is a PUPPY.  I never allowed Badger freedom overnight like that until he was 2 years old and SANE.  Puppies are INSANE.  I would bet those books didn't even TASTE GOOD.  They put your poor puppy at horrible risk because of lack of supervision and lack of following through on your explicit instructions.  What if she had chewed an electrical cord and DIED?  Would they have charged you the 'puppy' rate then?  And BTW, if they were going to charge you the puppy rate, which they should have made clear BEFORE you left, but IF they were going to do that, THEY SHOULD HAVE GIVEN HER PUPPY LEVEL CARE!  Which includes being crated at any time she isn't directly supervised. 
This isn't a 'minor vent' your poor Sadie was put in harms way, and then they had the NERVE to charge you more for it.  If I had been that boarder, I'd have hidden the damage and prayed the puppy didn't vomit up half the pages of 'Crime and Punishment' on the drive home. 
GAH >:(

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2006, 12:33:59 pm »
Maybe you ought to give the books back, you know....when Sadie is done with them.

;) ;) ;D

I agree with others.  You provided the means and intruction - totally their fault for not following through.  I'd be upset too.  Books can't be good for a pups tummy!!  >:(
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 12:37:21 pm by PennyK »
Every girl needs a Teddy bear!

doggylover

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2006, 12:38:50 pm »
Maybe you ought to give the books back, you know....when Sadie is done with them.

;) ;) ;D

ROFLMFAO HAHAHAHAHA YES

doggylover

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2006, 12:47:27 pm »
Not unreasonable AT ALL!  I'd also be thoroughly ticked if they disregarded my instructions and then tried to blame me (or my puppy) for it. 

In addition to the very good point folks have already made about putting Sadie in danger by not crating her overnight, they have also set your training way back.  One of the most important parts of ensuring that you don't have a destructive dog is limiting opportunities to have a destructive puppy.  That is, once a pup gets a taste for tearing the place up, they long for it.  If they never get the pleasure of going nuts as a pup, they won't even consider it as an adult.  So, you should send them a bill for the extra training lessons she'll need as a result of their negligence!  ;D

Holly
I couldn't agree more.  Part of the reason Badger has never destroyed anything of ours is because he has never been able to destroy anything of ours.  This would actually tick me off in a BIG way. 

Offline MafiaPrincess

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2006, 01:46:34 pm »
I'd be tee'd.

There's a thread going on another board I visit.. on the dollar damage your pet has done.  Someone had an estimate of 7,300...
Cider has chewed an ex's glasses because he was a tool and left them at her level.. Other than that, nothing.. Well, she's pushed the screens on the screen door out and they are a little broken..
But, it's cause she's never alone.  She needs to be where I am.  She can't wander the house.. So that's why our damage is minimal.
~I'm changing my naughty ways to naughtier ones~

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2006, 03:00:02 pm »
are you serious that they made you pay extra!!! i like everyone else here am saying that you have no reason to not be upset about this!  you gave them instructions and they didn't follow them, that's their fault not yours... i totally can't believe it!!
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

Offline Mom2Sadie

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2006, 03:03:03 pm »
Not unreasonable AT ALL!  I'd also be thoroughly ticked if they disregarded my instructions and then tried to blame me (or my puppy) for it. 

In addition to the very good point folks have already made about putting Sadie in danger by not crating her overnight, they have also set your training way back.  One of the most important parts of ensuring that you don't have a destructive dog is limiting opportunities to have a destructive puppy.  That is, once a pup gets a taste for tearing the place up, they long for it.  If they never get the pleasure of going nuts as a pup, they won't even consider it as an adult.  So, you should send them a bill for the extra training lessons she'll need as a result of their negligence!  ;D

Holly
I couldn't agree more.  Part of the reason Badger has never destroyed anything of ours is because he has never been able to destroy anything of ours.  This would actually tick me off in a BIG way. 

Ruh-roh, I didn't even think of that. And it's funny because I couldn't believe how well behaved she was yesterday. I sort of thought it did her good being there. We'd been really working before she went there on her commands and her silly puppy antics and she's getting MUCH better. I don't want to make a big deal of it since we all know the same people and I don't want it to be awkward. But I certainly won't recommend them. A mutual friend asked me to let him know how it was in case he needs to board his girls so I'll give him the honest report. I'm glad I'm not the only one who would have been annoyed. My friends this weekend were like "If you call there to check on that dog one more time..." Nice to be back where people understand my obsession :)
Dear Lord,

Shawna
Sadie the Newf