Author Topic: Need opnions on food - please!  (Read 3030 times)

EllieAndBlu

Need opnions on food - please!
« on: June 15, 2006, 08:19:27 am »
Greetings Y'all!

My friend has been feeding her pup Blackwood dog food - it is made in her hometown (Columbia, SC)... I am still learning when it comes to analyzing ingredients... . so I hoping ya'll could advise me.  :)
What do y'all think?
Thanks!

Lamb & Rice
Ingredient list:

Lamb Meal, Rice Flour, Oatmeal, Poultry Meal, Ground Rice, Plain Dried Beet Pulp (Sugar Removed), Poultry Fat [Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols (Source of Vitamin E) and Citric Acid], Dried Tomato Pomace, Menhaden Fish Meal, Lecithin, Vegetable Oil, Dried Cheese, Monosodium Phosphate, Fish Oil, DL-Methionine, Choline Chloride, Dried Enterococcus Faccium Fermentation Products, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Yucca Schidigera Extract, Salt, L-Lysine, Ascorbic Acid (Source of Vitamin C), Dried Garlic, Vitamin A Acetate, D-Activated Animal Sterol (Source of Vitamin D3), Vitamin E Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Source of Vitamin K Activity), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Niacin Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Biotin, Manganese Sulfate, Maganous Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Iron Proteinate, Copper Sulfate, Copper Proteinate, Zinc Proteinate, Zinc Oxide, Zinc Sulfate, Potassium Iodide, Potassium Chloride, Sodium Selenite.

Senior/Lowfat
Ingredients:

Poultry Meal, Ground Rice, Ground Corn, Dried Potato Product, Oatmeal, Plain Dried Beet Pulp (Sugar Removed), Natural Flavors, Chicken Fat [Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols (Source of Vitamin E) and Citric Acid}, Brewers Dried Yeast, Dried Whole Eggs, Flax Meal, Lecithin, Salt, Potassium Chloride, L-Lysine, Calcium Carbonate, Choline Chloride, DL-Methionine, Dried Whey, Dried Garlic, Dried Cheese, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Dried Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Vitamin E Supplement, Ascorbic Acid (Source of Vitamin C), Vegetable Oil, Biotin, Niacin Supplement, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Acetate, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Menadione Dimethylpyrimi dinol Bisulfate (Source of Vitamin K Activity), Citric Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Manganese Proteinate,Copper Proteinate, Manganous Oxide, Sodium Selenite, Calcium Iodate.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2006, 08:20:55 am by EllieAndBlu »

Kiahpyr

Re: Need opnions on food - please!
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006, 08:44:30 am »
Here's a great site that analyzes the ingredients for you. They also have a link on ingredients to avoid.

http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=main

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 09:12:11 am »
Here's my take on the foods you listed:

The Pro's: you've got no by-products and no gluten. Yay! Also, meat is the first ingredient. Very good. Plus they both have oatmeal and rice, very easy to digest carbs.

The Con's: the word "poultry" indicates no specific bird... which means it could be anything. That's right anything. (I have heard of buzzards being in there. Ew!) You want it to say specifically "chicken" or "turkey"... instaed it pretty much says "unidentifiable bird meat from who knows where."
You've also got corn in the second one, which is a common allergen. Some dogs are fine on a food with corn but it is often just used as a filler. At least it's ground corn instead of corn flour or corn gluten.
The rice flour in the first one could cause some problems. We want to see whole grains rather than flour.

You could go on like that, getting really picky, but those are the things that jump out at me. I have seen much worse!!! You've probably got the equivalent of Pro Plan or Iams there. Maybe a step up. I bet some dogs would do fine on those foods but others would be way to sensitive.

My holistic vet says that most importantly you want to  avoid wheat and any kind of gluten, and make sure meat is the first ingredient. And if you can find out the temperature that the food is cooked, lower is better.

Good luck! That link April gave you will be great. :)

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2006, 09:22:24 am »
wow - thanks y'all... between the 2 posts I've already learned so much. I think I will stick to the better brands... I was considering changing Ellie to Blackwood because all of a sudden her tummy is not liking the Wellness she has been on for over a year.... but I think I will have to put her on something else. She was on Innova and Solid Gold previously. (any suggestions?)

Thanks sooooooooo much for all the info!

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2006, 10:18:51 am »
Hi,

I agree with Tina, on that list and thread it is excellent!! I switched Winslow from Wellness to Canidae. Wellness was too rich for his system. The Canidea has been great and I posted that they offer a rebate program for a free bag!!

Rich
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2006, 11:48:39 am »
Thanks so much for the info Tina and Rich.... it is such a great help! I am going to read that thread right now!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2006, 11:50:02 am by EllieAndBlu »