Author Topic: Room in our hearts for another...  (Read 5987 times)

doggylover

Room in our hearts for another...
« on: June 15, 2006, 02:41:36 pm »
When we got Badger, David took about 6 months to really bond with him (I fell in love at the breeder's house).  In fact, after about 3 months, David wanted to return him becuase he was a huge puppy nuisance (duh).  I cried violently and put my foot down.  Over time, after ALL the training was done, Badger became David's dog.  They are inseparable... in fact, he now calls the dog 'sweetheart' a term of endearment formly enjoyed by me. 
So now we are getting Gossy in 2 weeks and 3 days  :D and I'm wondering what I can do to ease the transition for my 'boys'.  David isn't good AT ALL with puppies.  I was thinking about taking her with me everywhere I go, maybe in a baby sling...otherw ise if I'm not here I'll feel like I have to crate her, I don't think David would follow through enough with the potty training and I don't want it to be 20 times harder to train her because she sometimes goes in the house with nobody noticing. 
This is SO not a bash about David.  He is a wonderful husband and he and Badger are now pees in a pod together.  I suspect that as soon as she is trained she too will choose him, which is totally fine (I get plenty of lovins in), in the meantime, before they bond, any tips on what I can do to ease things along? 
 :)
BTW don't feel like you have to tread lightly with me, I am totally open to all opinions!

Offline zanie

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Re: Room in our hearts for another...
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006, 02:54:01 pm »
I have no answers but I will be eagerly awaiting some.  Dell is still a big dorky pup, even though he's 18 months.  Hubby loves to play with him but has ZERO tolerance for thinks like a snagged carpet (we may have to replace the carpet before we move out of this rental as the snag is that bad and of course right in the middle of the floor :-\)

"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive." - Gilda Radner

Seattle, WA

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 03:03:06 pm »
I was thinking about taking her with me everywhere I go, maybe in a baby sling...

Yep!! Great idea!!  I took Chester with me everywhere (and still do when DH doesn't have him!) and he was 'basic' trained SO quickly (housebroken and walking on a lead....not jumping up is still a work in progress! ;))  DH ADORES Chester but he didn't really like the whole puppy process.  That said, he was the same with the kids!  Until they where about 10 years old, they were all mine!! ::) ::) ::)

doggylover

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2006, 03:09:33 pm »
I was thinking about taking her with me everywhere I go, maybe in a baby sling...

Yep!! Great idea!!  I took Chester with me everywhere (and still do when DH doesn't have him!) and he was 'basic' trained SO quickly (housebroken and walking on a lead....not jumping up is still a work in progress! ;))  DH ADORES Chester but he didn't really like the whole puppy process.  That said, he was the same with the kids!  Until they where about 10 years old, they were all mine!! ::) ::) ::)
This is really what I was hoping to hear.  I did this with Badger and had him basic trained in about a week.  He only potty'd in the house twice.  I just didn't want to leave Badger out, or have him think I 'liked' the puppy more...And I wanted to know what to say to hubby when he says I'm doting on the pup too much.  I'll let him know that it worked well with Badger and a good friend on BPO, who has 2 really neat dogs thought it was a good way to train puppies!

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2006, 03:32:26 pm »
when he says I'm doting on the pup too much.

Nah....it's not doting...even when you have your face smushed up against the puppy's face kissing him wildly....it's called "training"!! ;)  Cowboy was fine with my taking Chester out....it was like "get that annoying piece of brown fluff OFF me!! ;D ;D

doggylover

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2006, 03:47:07 pm »
when he says I'm doting on the pup too much.

Nah....it's not doting...even when you have your face smushed up against the puppy's face kissing him wildly....it's called "training"!! ;)  Cowboy was fine with my taking Chester out....it was like "get that annoying piece of brown fluff OFF me!! ;D ;D
LOLOL I never thought of that, maybe Badger will HOPE I leave with the puppy.  Badger has NO energy.
Smushing puppy is training?  I can totally go for that!!!
HEE ;D