Author Topic: "Marley and Me" by John Grogan  (Read 11511 times)

Offline Legacy101

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
"Marley and Me" by John Grogan
« on: June 16, 2006, 11:53:07 pm »
"Marley and Me" was a good read. Like any dog owner I can relate to Marley's bad behaviour. My dog was all about bad behaviour as a puppy--I stress AS A PUPPY.

Marley in the book "Marley and Me" by John Grogan is a prime axample of way to many dog/family situations in America. Why would Marley disbehave badly enough to chew and dig the couch up at four years old. This is something even a puppy wouldn't have patience to do.

Did it ever occure to the owners of "Marley" that a walk once or twice a day could never be enough Like John Grogan said he never researched his breed (yellow lab). They need more room to run than the typical postage stamp of a back yard that exists in Florida. Wonderful! You walk your dog! On a leash on the un-dogfriendly boardwalk. How about finding a dog park, or a fellow dog owner with a back-yard as big as yours? How about "Dog Beach" more than once in a life-time? And how about hiring a dog walker on the overtime days at the office.

As an Obedience/Behaviour Trainer this book was just to familiar. How many dogs actually end up in pounds because of the baviour which "Marley" dispays. Too typical of most dog owners.

I must stress...This behaviour may be funny to read but most (including you, dear reader) would never tolerate it.   

If you have gotten a dog, seek out Doggie Daycare, Dog Walking Services, Obedience Classes, and Nueter/Spaying (Why the owner waited until "Marley" was two to do it I will never understand).

Sadley, "Marley's" behaviour is typical in any home but never tolerated for very long--

If you are considering a dog, research your breed, schedule and finances for a well reared dog. There is so much available for you and your dogs comfort throughout life.

"Marley's" behaviour may have looked "cute" on paper but would you really have tolerated it for that long?

cricket36580

Re: "Marley and Me" by John Grogan
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2006, 05:14:03 am »
I "tolerate" it every day.  And have no intention of getting rid of her.  Thank you.

Offline nickerbokker

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • i'm a big boy now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2006, 08:49:49 am »
as a dog lover, just like john, i too tolerate it every day.  every...day! 

i think the book is absolutely great, i don't know why we need to be so cruel
NICKI

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2006, 01:47:29 pm »
as a dog lover, just like john, i too tolerate it every day.  every...day! 

i think the book is absolutely great, i don't know why we need to be so cruel
I will verify that Nicks deals with Marley like behaivor every day & worst but loves her dog like crazy!...I researched the heck out of my breed before I got my 1st Pyr & I can't tell you the number of nights I just bawled at the stress involved with Sam's issues...Throu gh love & dedication Sammy is a joy now!...I am reading Marley & Me now but I had to put it down because of our tragedy with Rosie...I can't handle the tearjerker parts I've heard are coming...I'll pick it back up when I stop crying at the drop of a hat.
I do agree though that people should know their breed & what they require before they get a dog...Also, I agree with neutering/spaying helping calm the dog...& it is funny on paper...It is also funny when I look back on Sam & I in those early days...It is hilarious in fact!...I wouldn't have changed it for the world for any perfect dog but, I must admit, it wasn't funny then but now it is so funny to think about...Sammy & I were both rediculous wrecks! :D

doggylover

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2006, 03:47:39 pm »
I read this book when it first came out and I have to admit I thought it was hilarious.  Of course the owners were morons...nobod y with common sense would get a dog without researching it, deprive it of excersise, and expect it to behave. 
That said, there were more than a few things in the book that I could totally relate to, from our puppy days, that are common for big paw owners.  Puppies are the most obnoxoius, uncivilized, ridiculous, ill behaved, irritating, annoying, little bundles of cuteness and love that you could ever ask for.  They have to be cute, or dogs would by now be extinct!
HEH I can't WAIT for our new puppy!  I hope she bites my ankles and walks all lopsided!

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2006, 09:00:25 pm »
You're going to have a blast doggylover! I love it when they are in the gangly goofy clumsy stage. 

Melissa & I just read the book , and I and she really really loved it.  Every dog is an individual.  Some are easy, some are hard, some are soft, some are clingy, some standoffish, you just never know what you will end up with, but you love them and you do the best you can.  You have no business owning a dog if you don't have a bit of patience & tolerance. 
It's like parenting, we're not all perfect, but we love them and do our best.
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.â€

Offline nohesnotahorse

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2006, 02:35:00 pm »
I read and enjoyed the book too... It came to me at a great time - my 'great labra-dane retriever', Chance had just come into my life and at 1 year old, he was exhibiting all of the classic obnoxious lab puppy behavior you could name.  The book gave me some great belly-laughs and reminded me that it would be ok and very much worth all the trouble.  There were days and incidents when I needed that reminder. It took a lot of work and twice as much patience but he has matured into just about the best companion that anyone could ever ask for.   I don't think anyone could say that the book's author was 100% where he should have been at all times in terms of making great decisions about the dog, but none of us are, and I think that was part of the point of the book.  :)
Tom, Overwhelmed, Overrun and Overruled by Feste, Chance and Puck!
'Aide toi et Dieu t'aidera.' (God helps those who help themselves.)
'Fortes fortuna juvat.' (Fortune favors the brave.)

Offline zanie

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2006, 04:52:21 pm »
I read this book just this week.  I laughed my @rse off sitting in the airport reading the book.  I was also amazed by the fact that they tolerated his behavior for so long.

I think the thing we have to remember is that we only heard part of the story.  It was written for dramatic effect. People forget that.   
"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive." - Gilda Radner

Seattle, WA

Offline Mom2Sadie

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2006, 12:11:16 pm »
Just finished reading this last night and bawled my freaking eyes out. I cried so hard that Sadie started whining and burying her head in my neck. I think I cried so hard because I could totally relate. Marley reminded me so much of my Kerry when he was younger. "The dog from h*ll" as his previous family called him. He turned into the best dog I've ever had.

All the research in the world sometimes doesn't mean anything because, as Brandon said, every dog is different. I researched Newfs to death before finally deciding it was the right dog and the right time for me and I have a dog who has very little of the typical Newf personality. She's a total spaz, she's obnoxious, she's LOUD, she's difficult to train, she's stubborn, she's rambunctious, she's not terribly bright except when it comes to evil - in short she's CRAZY! But I love her anyway and I accept her for who and what she is. I do the best I can and hopefully (crossing fingers) it will pay off and she'll wind up a good girl one day. But if she doesn't I'll deal with that too and I'll love her either way. That's the important thing, this family didn't give up on Marley as so many others might have. It's like it says in the book, for the amount of money I've spent on vet bills and destroyed things and training classes, etc., I could have bought a yacht! But a yacht wouldn't be there waiting for me to come home from work wagging her tail like a madwoman :) Sorry this was so long, that book really got to me!

Dear Lord,
Just for today, let me be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Shawna
Sadie the Newf
Gus and Maggie - Maine Coon Kitties
Lady the Boxer waiting at the bridge

Kiahpyr

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2006, 12:14:42 pm »
I just found out that the author signed a movie deal based on the book. Hope it's as good as the book!

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2006, 02:39:28 pm »
A movie!!!!  Oh, the poor trainers!!!!

Can you imagine having to TEACH a set of dogs all that terrible behavior ?!?!?!?!

The poor trainer's spent the dogs' whole LIVES teaching them NOT to pull them around on the leash, NOT to chew up furniture....

How will the poor dogs ever return to normal, well-behaved lives after playing Marley?  ???  ???  ;D

Sheryl, Dogless and sad

Offline nohesnotahorse

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2006, 04:52:25 pm »
lol...  I'll take the actor in after his good training is 'destroyed' for the movie.  After raising Puck and Chance, I've got really good blinders to to it....lol  ;D
Tom, Overwhelmed, Overrun and Overruled by Feste, Chance and Puck!
'Aide toi et Dieu t'aidera.' (God helps those who help themselves.)
'Fortes fortuna juvat.' (Fortune favors the brave.)

Offline Mom2Sadie

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2006, 06:13:40 pm »
Actually, they've asked Sadie to play Marley. She hasn't accepted the role yet. She's very concerned about having to bleach and shave her fur as well as having to play a boy pupper. But I think that's why she's been such a punk lately. She's a METHOD actor, don't you know  ;)
Dear Lord,
Just for today, let me be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Shawna
Sadie the Newf
Gus and Maggie - Maine Coon Kitties
Lady the Boxer waiting at the bridge