Author Topic: Advantix  (Read 5501 times)

Offline Svnt4God

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
    • Visit my Website
Advantix
« on: June 18, 2006, 09:50:00 am »
Has anyone heard anything about Advantix (not Advantage) that it is causing Seizures and that there are several people sueing Bayer?

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: Advantix
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2006, 10:05:32 am »
YIKES!!  Nope...and I just put it on Cowboy a couple of weeks ago to keep mosquitos from biting him at our cabin.  I DO know that the Heart Worm meds can cause seizures so I thought I was doing the safter thing!

Please let me know if you hear anything else!!

Offline Svnt4God

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
    • Visit my Website
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2006, 10:10:18 am »
YIKES!!  Nope...and I just put it on Cowboy a couple of weeks ago to keep mosquitos from biting him at our cabin.  I DO know that the Heart Worm meds can cause seizures so I thought I was doing the safter thing!

Please let me know if you hear anything else!!

The mosquito issue is the only reason WHY I bought the product.  I am going camping next month in the Redwoods and I wanted some protection for my dogs against Mosquitos.  From what I've read, Advantix is the only one that repels them.

Then after I buy this product (thru 800 Pet Meds), my daughter told me that she's heard from 5 people so far that there dogs seizured after giving Advantix.  Perhaps they gave their dog too large of a dose ???

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2006, 12:31:23 pm »
Holy crap that is terrible!

Incidentally, I put Advantage on my cat last week and he had a terrible reaction. He threw up about 15 times that night, had diarrhea in the living room, and looked really confused and disoriented. Luckily by mid-morning the next day he was acting like himself again and started eating again that night. It took us a few days to realize that it was a reaction to the Advantage... before that I hadn't made the connection.
Luckily Don Gato was the only one of our animals we used Advantage on (everyone else gto Frontline). I am going to have to be careful next month, and be looking for signs of reactions, and well I guess I'm done with Advantage!

mjjensen

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2006, 12:40:41 pm »
  There are several consumer alerts on the web about permethrin which is found in Advantix and several products used to kill fleas and ticks in the yard. It has supposedly been linked to seizures although I'm not sure if these claims are only from personal experiences or if there has been an actual study done. There is also a disclaimer from Bayer saying that it should never be used on cats or dogs that are around cats. 

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2006, 12:49:41 pm »
The only issue we've heard about is with cats cause it poisonous to them.  Our guys have been fine but you want to make sure you put it in more spots than recommended as their coats get gross and never put it in only one spot as it will burn them( maybe that's what caused it or as mentioned a too high dosage could cause it too).  Also some dogs can't handle the chemicals in it.  Our vet won't sell Advantix to anyone that has cats but since my mom works there and we know to keep them seperated for at least 12-24 hrs we can get it.

And newflvr if Cowboy hasn't had a reaction to it he should be fine as he'd have one right after getting it put on. 
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2006, 01:19:58 pm »
And newflvr if Cowboy hasn't had a reaction to it he should be fine as he'd have one right after getting it put on.

That's good to hear!  I know HeartGard is a no-no, but it's hard to keep my big guy safe!!

Offline arjemi

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2006, 01:25:57 pm »
I would be careful when using advantix if you have cats in your house. The ingredients can Kill your cat if it happens to ingest it or get enough on its skin.

Offline Svnt4God

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
    • Visit my Website
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2006, 02:02:54 pm »
Now all I gotta do is see if 1-800-Petmeds will refund my money back, or credit me to buy Frontline instead.

I guess I should have done a little more research BEFORE buying it.  At least I haven't applied it to my dogs yet.

Offline Svnt4God

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
    • Visit my Website
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2006, 10:03:35 am »
So, I contacted 1-800-Petmeds this morning to see if I can return the Advantix.  Absolutely NO Hassle.  Absolutely wonderful to work with.  He even walked me thru their website to find the return lable... they pay the shipping for the return.  He will refund my credit card within 3 to 5 days, and I reordered Frontline instead.

cricket36580

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2006, 10:53:25 am »
I've heard about the permithrens too but nothing specific.  I think it's more a case of everyone needs to watch their animals after giving any meds for a reaction.  I've had dogs that couldn't handle any flea stuff.  They would slobber and act disoriented and throw up.  But this can happen with any kind of med.

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2006, 07:38:36 pm »

I have heard of countless reports of serious side effects from all of the toxic chemicals:  fipronil (Frontline), imidacloprid (Advantage), permethrin and others including seizures, anaphylatic shock, liver and kidney damage, GI Tract complications, renal failure, and auto-immune disease... and the list goes on.

I think it is critical for everyone to remember that all of these chemicals are pesticides, regulated by the EPA in most cases, and toxic. They permeate the dog's skin, enter the bloodstream and internal organs (liver & kidney) and can filter into the intestinal tract. These chemicals are also excreted through these organs in feces and urine.  The packaging provides serious warnings about not touching with your hands and washing your hands immediately after application. Hmmmm...so it is safe to pour onto your pet's skin, but you should not allow it to come into contact with your own and "keep children away".

Frontline has the lowest reported side effects and fewest claims for damages and most vets agree this one is potentially the least damaging - although none can be called safe.  If you are dealing with an infestation, then one use may be necessary to break the cycle and get things under control. But otherwise, repeated use is very unhealthy for your pet and extremely dangerous for cats. There are many natural methods that are effective for repelling fleas and ticks that do not pose a health risk to the animal.

SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar