Author Topic: Jumping  (Read 6296 times)

Offline chantaje

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Jumping
« on: June 06, 2005, 05:10:44 pm »
Does anyone have good suggestions for jumping?  Neo gets very excited when people come to visit. It's not a big deal at home because I have him by the collar anyway when I open the door to make sure he won't run out.  I have also trained the regulars to cross their arms and keep their backs to him until he stops jumping, as suggested by the obedience trainer.  My main concern is when we go to the dog park.  He only does it once in a while there, but he will get excited and jump up in greeting. If you're not expecting it, he can knock someone down. Not everyone at the dog park knows him so it can be quite startling. 

Offline Neicy

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Re: Jumping
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 10:03:52 am »
I am dealing with this as well with our BC Lucy. What we are doing that seems to work is telling her "OFF" stearnly and ignoring her. If we make eye contact and pat her it just gets worse. Once she quietly sits we go to her and say hello and good girl. Its very hard though because shes so darn cute and looks like shes smiling when shes doing it :)

lorim2

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 10:54:09 am »
"Off" and gently holding them off while you say it worked for us but it took practice practice practice...and lots of patience...Lan ey finally got it but we had to do it alot!  Repetition!!!  Good Luck

Offline Ouch

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Sadie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 11:26:31 am »
I've told everyone coming out here when Sadie starts wagging all over and coming at them as they get out of their cars to just start saying EASY EASY in a dull but authoritative voice and hold their arm and hand out straight with palm up like you were going to block her  vision .. the closer Sadie gets she's begun slowing down to see if there's a treat in the hand I think then calms because of the dull EASY, they keep coming to the house and don't pet until they're sure she's calm .. at least that's my doggy analysis on it.  Now, if this doesn't happen - she'll get you like she did the new pest control man (I don't think he'll be back after the paws on the shoulders and the big chin to forehead slurp)  Of course I started this, to calm the situation about to occur when it appeared Sadie and Emmitt were fixing to start at it, the EASY EASY part .. so that started back in July .. I usually stand on the porch and yell EASY SADIE EASY hoping my guest will pick up on it - cause I can yell her name till I'm red and she's only focused on the the visitor.
Copper, 12 yr old American Cocker
Emmitt, 7 yr old English Springer Spaniel
Sadie, 2 yr old Newfie
OnryHenry, 17 yr old King Feline of KY

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 11:34:51 am »
With Max, the only thing that works is making him sit to greet everyone.  He hasn't jumped up on myself or my hubby in over 6 months, even though we no longer make him sit.  Sometimes when my kids come over and they just walk in, I am not in the kitchen to make him sit and he gets excited and jumps up on them.  I tell them it is their own fault for not making him sit as soon as they come in the door.  I have also found, if people lean over to his eye level, he won't jump.  In public, it is easy, since he doesn't get excited about seeing or greeting people unless he knows them.  Good luck.
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Offline Ouch

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Sadie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 12:00:31 pm »
gosh I feel like a dufus here .. I'm going to start the SIT thing in the house when people come in .. everyone, pup anyway, breaks their neck to SIT around here cause they know a treat is coming.  Good Grief I just didn't think about that. :-[  I think my main problem is not correcting them when they crowd the door to go out first I should make them sit and wait THEN.  OUCH
Copper, 12 yr old American Cocker
Emmitt, 7 yr old English Springer Spaniel
Sadie, 2 yr old Newfie
OnryHenry, 17 yr old King Feline of KY

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007, 12:43:19 pm »
My obedience instructor recommends having them on leash- the leash is dropped to the floor and you stand on it.  When the dog gets all bouncy and jumpy he will correct himself- you then only pay attention when he is sitting quietly

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2007, 12:51:49 pm »
That's similar to what I do when trying to clean their feet after having been outside in the snow or muck.  I'll leave the leash on them in the house and kneel on it to get them to stay still and not go bounding all over the place till their feet are dry.

Also Naja was a persistant jumper, if she didn't get your attention the first few times she would keep going at it, and she would try to nip at your nose.  lol  This may sound a little harsh but it's totally harmless - Just put your knee up.  Don't kick, just bring your knee up to block him from jumping on you.  You could also try the squirt bottle, that helped us out alot too.  Once he is calm then lavish him with attention.  :D
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2007, 02:57:56 pm »
With Max, the only thing that works is making him sit to greet everyone.

Kiden used to be a REALLY bad jumper and this technique worked for us as well.  Once her butt hits the ground, we've pretty much headed off the urge to spring on people.

This worked wonders for us over here, too!
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline mountaindogmom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • Jack & Greta's Pics
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2007, 03:12:53 pm »
Sometimes "down" works better than "sit" because it's a harder position to spring up from.  A sit can lead to a bounce/jump which can cause some painful dog head to human nose/lip contact - OUCH!  We used the down or sit in conjunction with stepping on the leash to break this problem.  Also, we have a policy for visitors: "No Touch, No Talk, No Eye Contact, until the dogs are calm please!"
You just have to tell everyone who is visiting how best to deal with your dogs so they can assist you with the process. If you have a couple of good friends who will volunteer to help train that is most beneficial.  Just have them come and ring the doorbell or knock repeatedly and practice your techniques until people coming to the door isn't exciting for the dogs anymore. 
Greta - Greater Swiss Mountain Dog (DOB 5-20-06)
Jack - Great Pyrenees (DOB 12-26-06)
& Three Kitties - Zoie, Bella & Nessie!

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2007, 11:07:08 am »
I am sitting here laughing like crazy.  I have done the raised knee.  My knee doesn't even graze Maxs chest.  His legs are way too long.  I have tried the standing on leash.  I end up sitting on my butt.  I weigh 107, Max weighs 160+.  I tried grabbing the collar as he comes up.  Legs too long can't reach it.  I tried down.  When Max does down, he folds all four legs and lays between them.  He is in perfect "spring" position this way.  He will knock you over when he springs up.  I don't want to condition my dogs to not get excited when someone comes to the door, because I want them to bark and alert me.  My husband works nights and I am home alone.  They guard my house and I need that alert.  I guess you have to do what works for you and it sounds like every dog, just like every person, is a little bit different.
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2007, 12:48:16 pm »
My problem has been that they don't just jump up, they jump up ON people.  Boinging is one thing.  Dirty paw prints on a clean shirt is something else.  Our solution that has worked like a charm for numerous dogs is this...

Whenever he jumps up, act as though he is offering his paws to you.  Grab onto them and say, "Awww, thank you for your paws, I think I'll keep them."  Say it in the sweetest syrupy tone you can muster.  And keep them.  After about 5 seconds, he'll want his paws back, but don't give them to him.  Keep talking syrupy baby talk to him, "Awww, it's so sweet that snookums wants me to have his paws, what a good boy."  Keep them until he gives up fighting it, talking sweet the entire time.  Do this every time he jumps up.  It won't take many times.  He will quickly conclude two things:

1.  Mom is off her rocker, and

2.  When I give her my paws, she keeps them.  I don't think I'll give them to her any more.

Get a few more people to volunteer to do this, and he will assume that all humans are off their rockers and no longer paw-worthy. 

This not only works like a charm, your dog never feels punished or yelled at, but still gets the point loud and clear.

HA!  I love that idea!  Do you think it would work with the Pyr Paw??  'Cause Naja is constantly pawing, and I know it's a breed trait, but this might help to cut it back a bit.  :D
My Sponsership page for my very first race!