Author Topic: Please help!!!!  (Read 7224 times)

Offline Dallas23

• Gnawer
  • I miss u Charlie
    • View Profile
Please help!!!!
« on: June 20, 2006, 03:46:33 pm »

I have an English Bulldog, her name is Jolie Moo and she is nearly 1 year old.
The last 2 months she has begun showing agression towards other dogs, smaller in size then herself.
Last month she was sleeping on the floor and her bone was about 1 foot in front of her, and my chihuahua walked in the room about 6 feet from her, becuase he was scared of her... he kept a distance always...
She lunged out of sleeping, and bit him on the head killing him right in front of my eyes.
This was devastating for my GF and I to lose our lil baby.... and also, Jolie moo is usually the best... she is mellow and sleepy and so cute it is just unreal. Everyone loves her and she loves everyone usually... Since the incident she has snapped at 2 other small dogs that gave us a lil fear of "what if" she did it again? Or what if she bites our baby when that day comes that we have them....

What should we do? Do you think giving her to a family with no dogs or kids is the best option? I couldnt stand losing another dog, ( we have 3 more...) and living in in fear all the time that she may snap??
But at the same time, she is our baby and we love her so much.... I am at a loss....
she killed once... will that mean she will do it again or be agressive now forever with small dogs?

This was our baby Charlie the red chihuahua.... rest in peace lil man....
« Last Edit: June 20, 2006, 03:53:10 pm by Dallas23 »

Offline Dallas23

• Gnawer
  • I miss u Charlie
    • View Profile
Re: Please help!!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2006, 04:05:16 pm »
I just don't know what to do.... I am leaning towards a new home becuase i just couldnt live with myself if she did it again... but then i look at her face and she is so sweet and so loving... so good with our other dogs...
but my heart also remembers that awful day when charlie died....

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2006, 04:38:55 pm »
I'm so sorry.  Others on the board will have far better advice than I do.  My Newfs are the on the opposite end of any form that sort of thing, but you do have my sympathy.  I do think it's clear, however, that you do need to seperate him from all small dogs... AND babies and children.  Has he been through training?  Do you know any of his history?  Have littermates/parents had any aggression problems?  Has he had a thorough physical?

Offline Dallas23

• Gnawer
  • I miss u Charlie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2006, 04:57:48 pm »
She was raised since 2 months old with us, we have always had 4 dogs in our home. A Dalmation, 2 chihuahua's and Jolie the Bulldog.

She was raised with her brothers and sisters and was not aggressive with them in her first few weeks...

The last 2 month for us, is the first time in 1 year we have seen any of this behavior... 90% of the time she is perfect, an angel... then she will just snap and growl at a smaller dog as if she wants to attack.... i dont get it... how she could have done what she did to her brother, charlie.... no warning signs either...
so out of character... but that is what scares me the most, when we get her evaluated, if she passes all the tests with flying colors... and then if we keep her, and 3 months later she bites again at a dog park or worse this time... we will be more attached to her, and even more liable later in time....

so confused and heartbroken about this whole mess....

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2006, 05:17:09 pm »
I completely understand how heartbroken you must be! 

There are all sorts of training techniques I know others have tried with their aggression problems...I'll try to look up the  links and post it to you.  It will give you some techniques to try.....

Okay...look under the forums column under training and there are several threads where others have posted how they've handled similar problems. Here's the first one I saw:

Cesco attacked me :-(http://www.bigpawsonly.com/index.php/topic,10013.0.html

Maybe just scroll through and look at those threads and get some ideas.  I'm sure others will post soon and give you more idea specific to your needs.  I'm sorry I can't be of more help.....
« Last Edit: June 20, 2006, 05:22:38 pm by newflvr »

Offline Dallas23

• Gnawer
  • I miss u Charlie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2006, 05:32:29 pm »
Thank you so much for your help in finding good material :)
 ;)