Author Topic: Holistic Mosquito Spray  (Read 1739 times)

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
Holistic Mosquito Spray
« on: June 19, 2006, 01:25:07 pm »
Hi,

I've been browsing other forums today looking for Mosquito repellants for Winslow. I found this on Newf Net  ;) and it looks interesting. So I figure I'd post it here.

Rich

If your Newfie suffers from allergies, you may want to try something gentle without essential oils.

To make your own spray:
Make a tea.
2 parts Nettle
2 parts Catnip
2 part Yarrow
2 part lavender buds or dried or fresh.
1 part of sage or thyme

Make a very strong tea and place in a sprayer. Spray the newfies coat. Use once or twice a day. Try not to keep the tea longer than 24 hours. The scents that repel will evaporate.

If you made too much and want to use it (because the herbs are good for the hair anyway and nettle helps sooth any bites), add lavender essential oil at 1 % per ounce of tea. That is about 3 drops per ounce of liquid. Add about 1/2 tsp of apple cider vinegar per cup of tea.

Shake well. VERY WELL. Essential oil does not blend well with water, but the vinegar will help. Shake thoughout application.
Essential oils will evaporate rapidly, so only do this per application.

This is not meant to kill fleas. Just to repel them.

You can also use a homemade powder. You can use this on your carpets, doggie bedding and doggie.

Use a coffee grinder to powder the herbs.

2 parts lavender bud
2 parts yarrow
2 parts sage or thyme
2 parts catnip
1 part rosemary
1 part baking soda (optional) Some folks use diatomaceous earth. If you choose this option make sure you buy food grade diatomaceous earth.

Create on the side
10 drops of lemon essential oil
5 drops of rosemary
10 drops of lavender

For every 1 cup of powder add 5 drops of essential oil blend. Slowly. Shake well while adding. Keep the mixture enclosed and as fresh as possible. Sprinkle on pet (NO CATS) like you would any other powder. You can use on the bedding area and carpet. Use daily or every other day or less.

Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad