Author Topic: Is there anything we can do?  (Read 4619 times)

k2campbell

Is there anything we can do?
« on: June 28, 2006, 10:45:48 pm »
Poor Kate got (I'm guessing) a mosquito bite right above her eye (just below her brow area).  It's swollen a bit, but doesn't seem to be bothering her in the least.  Eye itself looks fine...

We've been getting lots of rain, so it's damp - and today it was a scorcher, the stupid mosquitos were out in full force...

Can I do anything or should I just leave it?  Poor girl, she looks like a hammer-head!

Offline cuttles/sadieMay

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: Is there anything we can do?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2006, 10:49:21 pm »
Kayzer got lots of black fly bites on his belly a couple weeks ago and they were red and swollen and looked really itchy, so I gave him two benadryl and the redness and swelling went away really quick. You could try that!
Carole

doggylover

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2006, 10:55:00 pm »
Kayzer got lots of black fly bites on his belly a couple weeks ago and they were red and swollen and looked really itchy, so I gave him two benadryl and the redness and swelling went away really quick. You could try that!
Carole
This is an excellent idea, I'm taking it for my bites, as we speak!
Poor Kate what a bummer.  :( 

Offline Bella's mom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2006, 11:11:58 pm »
Carole
You may need to give 4 over the counter benadryl.  They are only 25mg each.  My vet gave me 50mg pills so that I could give Bella only 2 of these at a time.  She weighs 108lbs, so he said that she needs 100mg of Benadryl.
Good luck!!
Tessie - Belladonna's and Mojo's Mom

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2006, 06:45:47 am »
Dixie has some a few weeks for a bee sting on the her face. It worked great and she had a nice long nap.
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

k2campbell

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2006, 07:32:57 am »
Thanks everyone! ;D 

I'm going to call my vet to see if she has any suggestions for dosage :)

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2006, 02:16:06 pm »

I personally use homeopathic remedies for most insect stings/bites and find them to be the most effective at truly curing the sting, rather than merely suppressing the symptom (what we see).  My girl just got stung by a bee last week and was very unhappy about it. It took me quite a while to find it but I eventually did and removed the stinger - it was very red.  I iced it as should be done for all red, or inflammed bites and then gave her the appropriate remedy, in this case Rhus Tox matched her symptoms and characteristic s. She was holding her leg up and wouldn't stand on it when we started....wit hin a couple of hours the redness was gone and she was walking around fine.  Apis is another common remedy as well and these are found in your local healthfood store.

If you are not familiar with homeopathy, you should consider taking a closer look as it has been invaluable in addressing common issues with my dogs.

If you aren't comfortable with homeopathy then there are several natural remedies that help easy discomfort of bites and dilute the sting. Wash the bite thoroughly to remove any toxins, ice it to provide comfort and decrease swelling, and apply Lavendar oil for instance to poisonous bites like snake bited, every 20 minutes until medical help is found. Tea Tree oil is also effective as an antiseptic.

All of these things treat the issue at hand - the bite instead of introducing a drug into the system.

Good luck!
SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar

k2campbell

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2006, 06:19:47 pm »

I personally use homeopathic remedies for most insect stings/bites and find them to be the most effective at truly curing the sting, rather than merely suppressing the symptom (what we see). 

Funny you posted this - this is what my vet recommended, and what I actually did!  A cold compress on her eyelid for about an hour took the swelling down, next morning we couldn't even tell she had been bitten.  PERFECT!!! ;D

Thanks for your suggestions ;)