Author Topic: SERIOUS PROBLEM (warning: novel)  (Read 9722 times)

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
SERIOUS PROBLEM (warning: novel)
« on: July 06, 2006, 02:58:10 pm »
I’m positively livid, and I need some clear headed advice about what to do.

Every night as I get off the bus to walk home (I’ll save my $3.59/gallon gas for FUN, thanks ;)) the auto shop on the corner is closing for the day.  This business is where Demon Dog, the infamous rottie who finds her greatest pleasures in life to be scaring boys off skateboards and making people fall off their bikes by barking like a nut when they pass her gates, lives.  She guards the property at night, but has a dog house and run area where she’s kept during the day. She’s not all mean spirited—people go back there and sit and pet her, kids play with her—she’s a good girl.  I’ve never, ever seen her loose—she’s either in the run, on a lead, or she’s locked inside the gates, guarding.

Last night as the bus pulled up to the corner, I could see that one of the security gates was already closed.  The other one was open—an entirely normal state of affairs.  I said good night to the driver, got off and started walking past the open gate toward the new nail shop that just opened, thinking that my nails had reached their semi annual decent stage, and I might just splurge on a manicure WHEN—

I WAS LICKED!!!   :o  :o   :o   :o  :o   :o  :o  :o  :o

All the way up my Achilles tendon, from the edge of my heel callus halfway up the back of my capris, which are immediately slobber soaked.  A hot, SLOBBERY lick.  Very wet, and about 3 inches wide.   :o  :o   :o  :o

Yes: it was Demon Dog.  LOOSE.   >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(

And the gate was WIDE OPEN, onto a busy four lane street.  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(

So I turn around, and there’s Demon Dog, all happy and play bowing, spinning around, licking me from the tip of my toes, right across my sandals and up my shin, soaking the FRONT side of my capris in slobber.

I look around.  I can’t see a soul.   I holler for a good 2-3 minutes: hello, is anyone here, hello, your dog is out, hello, hello…NOBODY answers me.  I’m rubbing her ears, patting her sides, now I’m slobbered all the way up both legs AND both arms. (What a dangerous killer she is!) I call the phone numbers on the sign above the business—no answer.  I call the phone number on the tow truck—no answer.  I call them both again—still no answer. 

I start to step inside the gate, but she blocked me—very clearly, she wasn’t going to let me go inside.  She’s more than glad to stand around at the gate and lick me to death, to roll over on her back and have her tummy rubbed, whatever, but I’m NOT allowed past the gate. Fair enough. She’s a smart girl, and she knows her job. 

But I’ve been standing there giving lovies for well over 5 minutes, trying to get someone to come out and I’m not getting any answers.  Clearly, I can’t just leave her there.  There’s a lock keeping the gate open. She’s not going to let me come inside to put her in her run. There are dozens of cars and trucks going by 5 feet away in the street. If someone comes by on a bike or a skateboard, I’m certain she’ll chase them and even though I doubt she’d bite them, I’m  sure she’ll end up hit by a car!

And I’m starting to get a little scared about why I’m not getting an answer from anyone.  Y’all know I’m the worst case scenario girl—I’m starting to think of all the accidents that can happen in an auto bay.

Finally, I put my hand thru her collar and told her to heel. We walked over to the little diner that’s next door to the mechanic shop.  You can imagine their joy when I walk thru their open door with the enormous rottie from next door, who the cook is apparently terrified of.  I explain what’s going on, and ask if they have any other phone numbers that I can call, that nobody is answering the numbers I can see.  They search their rolodex and DO have another number, which I call while the cook goes over to see if he can find anyone—to get away from Demon Dog, who’s still slobbering me wherever she can reach and playing tug with my purse.  The guy I get on the phone does NOT speak English, my Spanish isn’t any better, and about the best I communicate is, “Tengo perro! tu gate is abierto, tu perro is loose!  Venga aqui, arriba!”

Yeah, my brother the Spanish teacher would be appalled.  But he finally said “Vengo!” among other things, so I presumed he was coming over.

OK, it's a little funny at this point.  But not really.

I walked her back over to the lot. I can hear a phone ringing somewhere. About 2 minutes later, out from the back of the bays stumbles a guy.  As he gets close, I can smell the beer. He’s drunk! He comes over, slurring in Spanish, which makes it completely impossible for me to understand him at all, he’s trying to unlock the gate to close it with no luck.  He keeps talking to the dog, who’s not remotely interested in going near him—she keeps circling around behind me to get away from him, simultaneously trying to make sure I stay on the sidewalk, while I’m trying to make sure she doesn’t end up in the street—well, I’m sure you can picture it.  I wanted to shove the drunk in the street really, really badly.

Finally, a car pulls up, and out gets a guy I recognize as someone who’s worked on my car before.  No, we don’t communicate any better now than we did on the phone, but at least he could see that the gate was STILL locked open(!) and the dog was loose and licking me like I was Ben and Jerry’s Beef Jerky Bits.  He unlocked the gate, closed it, and started screaming at the drunk in Spanish.  Demon Dog just stands there, eyes all sad, ears down.  She wasn’t done having her head rubbed, I could tell.  So I gave her a few more pets thru the fence, and then I went home to take a shower.

I had to use a pumice stone to get the layers of slobber off me. (That’s not a complaint, just a measurement of how slobbery I was!)

I stopped and talked to the manager this morning—he knows me, he’s worked on my car too. The story is that the drunk is the nephew of the latest owner, and he knows there been drinking on the job—the uncle doesn’t care, just wants the drunk working. The manager is going to have another talk with the drunk, but he didn’t seem very optimistic. He’s as concerned as I am that it could happen again, only next time, someone could end up hurt.

Here’s my enraging dilemma.

Up until now, she’s always been taken good care of, with plenty of bones and Kongs and toys when she’s out guarding at night, she’s got two big 5 gallon water jugs refilled every day, and the dog food bags in their trash are Canidae. Her run is always clean, and she has a shade over her dog house to keep it cooler and out of the rain.

But I am NOT going to let that sweet good dog get run over because a irresponsible drunken…insert multiple profane curse words in both English and Spanish here…leaves the gates open while he’s getting smashed in the back.

If I find her loose again, do I call the cops?  If I do, they’ll call Animal Control, and she’ll end up in the LA County shelter. But maybe they would arrest the drunk for endangering public safety—after all, she IS one of those dangerous rottweilers... ::)  ::) And LA County IS a kill shelter, in a city where there's a high level of prejudice against rotties, pits, etc.

It’s not fair.  She loves her lot and her job and barking at people to make them jump!  That stupid…repeat curses from before…is the one who needs to be in the animal shelter, not Demon Dog!

If I find her loose and take her home, will Rottie Rescue take her as a stray, if I lie and say I just found her wandering?

I'm so mad, I don't know WHAT to do. >:(  >:(  >:(   >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

« Last Edit: July 06, 2006, 07:32:53 pm by shangrila »
Sheryl, Dogless and sad

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: SERIOUS PROBLEM (warning: novel)
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2006, 07:25:05 pm »
Steal the rottie, and leave the gate locked open so the drunk will stagger out in to traffic.  That should take care of it! ;)

So who owns the dog?  The new owner or someone else?  Whoever owns the dog should be notified....an d warned that you'll call the police, (or some other, ahem, policing group.....)if the dog isn't taken care of properly.

If that fails, when I get home, I'll help you beat him up!! ;)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2006, 07:33:05 pm by shangrila »

doggylover

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2006, 07:51:41 pm »
If you resort to stealing the dog, I would lie my pants off and say that your sister gave the dog to you and you have to rehome her.  I don't think most Rott rescues will rehome strays.  You could describe her living conditions as if they were your sister's place so they would know about the guarding job. 
NOT that I would imply you should do this, AT ALL.
 ;)

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2006, 07:55:46 pm »
OH, NO, I never got the feeling that you were implying that I steal this pupper!  HUH-UH...oh, I know you'd never do that!! ;)

doggylover

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2006, 08:10:12 pm »
OH, NO, I never got the feeling that you were implying that I steal this pupper!  HUH-UH...oh, I know you'd never do that!! ;)
Huh?  Wha?  Who? Where?  Who logged onto my puter? 
HEEHEEHEE
 :D

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2006, 12:06:34 pm »
Last night the gate was closed, but the drunk WAS there. Wouldn't I just LOVE to shove his *** out in front of a bus! >:(  >:(

To be honest, I don't think anybody knows who owns her. Certainly the manager doesn't know or even really care.

The problem is that this place changes hands very frequently.  The employees stay the same, the dog never leaves, the tire stock stays the same; nothing changes for the customers, but the name on the sign has changed about a dozen times in the last 4-5 years. I have my suspicions as to why. Particularly as they only want to do business in cash; they won't take any kind of a check at all, and they're not very happy about credit cards.  ::) 

Whoever owned the place and put the dog ON the lot isn't involved in the place now and from talking with the manager again this morning, the dog is simply one of the things that gets conveyed everytime the name on the sign changes, like the tools and the tire stock.  He likes the dog, and feeds her what he feeds his dogs, everyone there buys her toys, treats, etc., but he was very clear that she doesn't belong to anyone. 

I told the manager (while I was rubbing her head and being kissed and slobbered on, I had to go home and shower again!) that I wasn't at all comfortable with the idea that nobody was responsible for her, and that if I found her loose on the sidewalk with the gates open ever again, I was going to take her home and immediately call the police and file a complaint.  Not what I want to do, because it will probably mean she ends up with Animal Control, in the county shelter, on a death list.  I just don't see any other choice.  >:(  >:(  :'(

Worst case scenario, RR would pull from the shelter, wouldn't they?  If I have to call the cops and they take her there?
Sheryl, Dogless and sad

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2006, 12:39:52 pm »
Do you know of anyone that could foster her if you find her loose again?  That way you could call the police and file a complaint but she would already be in a foster situation so that she wouldn't be at risk in the shelter.  This situation sucks! 

Kat
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2006, 01:16:01 pm »
but the drunk WAS there. Wouldn't I just LOVE to shove his *** out in front of a bus

I'll help!!! ;)

Could you call RR and let them know about the situation and give them a heads up that the next time she's out, they are going to have a new pal?  That way, you can get her out and then call the police, INS or whomever.  I just hate it that dogs are treated this way:  with NO one to take responsibility for her! :'(

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2006, 01:36:44 pm »
Do you know of anyone that could foster her if you find her loose again?

Unfortunately, I don't have anyone who could take her at a the drop of a hat like that.  Everyone around me is in the same situation I am--LL's that don't allow dogs (another rant of mine.)  My cousin's English bulldog won't tolerate another animal in the house--last year she attacked the hamster cage, so I wouldn't dare ask them to take a dog, even for a day or two.  T's cats are excessively dog agressive. And Clare's very asthmatic and alleric to dogs. Everyone else I know who I think could handle a dog like her her is too far away to be of any help if I find her loose and have to get her someplace safe right away.

If she was a 4 pound mini-dog, I'd sneak her into my place in my enormous purse anyway, and then FedEx her to my grandmother or something.  But I can't sneak a 90 pound rottie into my 3rd floor walk up, as much as I would love to.  Not to mention that she'd hate it. Her greatest joy is jumping on the fence and making people jump or fall off their bike/skateboard or scream. She couldn't make anyone fall over jumping on my security door; she'd be miserable.  She's a working dog, and she loves her job.

Hopefully the manager will get really sick of me showing up there to check on the dog every day and poke around, which is what I've decided to do after talking to my BFF just now--go down and check the gate every night, and again in the morning, just as they're opening. It's only a block, so it's not like it's a hardship. I'm going to suggest to him tomorrow morning that he move the drunk to a morning shift so he has to OPEN the gates instead of closing them at night.  I'll have to come up with some way to poke my nose in every morning.

As Nette just reminded me, I can be award-winningly annoying when I have to be to get what I want. 8) And I want Demon Dog safe in her lot.  So wish me luck annoying them this weekend!

Sheryl, Dogless and sad

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2006, 01:51:23 pm »
Any update on Demon Dog? :)

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2006, 02:29:00 pm »
Yes, there is.

I am visually harassing them, and the drunk is getting nervous. ;D  I must have walked past there at least a dozen times this weekend, making it clear that I was specifically checking on Demon Dog.

I talked to the manager on my way to work this morning, and told him that I was glad to see that she had been kept safe all weekend. I could tell he wasn't all that excited to see me again this morning. In a couple of days, I'll suggest that if the drunk isn't closing, I won't feel it's necessary to keep checking on her so much...  :P 

The Demon has learned a new DAYTIME trick since they adjusted the shade over her doghouse last week.  She's figured out how to jump up on top of her dog house, brace her back paw/toenails on the peak of the roof and stretch out to get her front paws on the top of the 7 foot cinderblock fence, and rest her chin on the top of it to watch the world go by. And of course, SCARE the people who walk past!  ;D I saw her standing up there when I walked down to the nail salon on Saturday afternoon, just stretched as far as her tendons would let her stretch to make the reach, with her chin on the wall and I wondered what she was up to.  I walked around the corner, and she just grinned at me from up there, and slobbered down the wall.  But while I was getting my nails done, I heard a skateboarder go past the shop, followed by her 'explosion', followed by some really creative teenage boy cursing. ( I bet he fell off his board.) 

She's just so funny. We'll see how long it takes her to figure out that she can scare the bus drivers when they pull up to the stop and open up their doors!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 02:33:39 pm by NoDogNow »
Sheryl, Dogless and sad

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Re: Serious problem SUCCESS!!!!!!!
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2006, 01:35:42 pm »
HA!!  I have stalked them into submission to my will.   ;D

I've been stopping every night as they're closing up, and hanging around the gates to make sure they're locked up before Demon is let out of her run.  She of course, loves this new routine--she knows that if she comes running over to me at the gate, she will immediately get her chinny-chin-chin scratched. If she hears someone else coming, she'll lick my hand, and go running to where she's going to see the stranger, scare the crap out of them, and then come trotting back over to me, with her stumpy tail just wagging a mile a minute to get her chin scratched some more!  Needless to say, her enjoyment of the chin scratching has annoyed the drunk NO end.

I've been going down about an hour or so later to make sure that the gates are all secured after the place is totally vacated (of course, there's more petting thru the fence involved--and usually a piece of chicken or hamburger or fish, whatever I cooked for dinner. I'm not above cupboard love. ;D) I've been going by every morning to remind the manager to be sure that she's taken care of that night, and grumbling about it not being safe to have a careless drunk in charge of a trained guard dog.

This morning, when I arrived to 'remind' the manager, there was a guy there holding Demon on a long lead, wearing a suit. I was told this was the owner.  He immediately gets all, "Why are you causing a problem about this dog?" with me--I think he thought that he was going to intimidate me. (Foolish man. ;D

I just gave him my angry teacher face and told him that I was not his problem with the dog; in fact, as far as the dog was concerned, he should be GRATEFUL to me.  That the dog is a very valuable, well trained dog that it would cost him at least a thousand, if not 2 thousand to replace if it had gotten run over by the bus.  That the dog is considered a 'dangerous' dog by the county and by the city police, and if the cops had seen her loose rather than me, they would have simply taken her to the pound and had her put down.  That he was really, really LUCKY that I happen to be fond enough of the dog to take MY TIME every day to make sure that the drunken idiot hasn't left her to run loose again. And that short of a restraining order, I would be continuing to make sure that the very sweet dog was safe and sound, and not out chasing skateboarders and getting into trouble with the local police. 

In the meantime, while I'm lecturing him, Demon has taken all the slack out of her lead, and is now sitting on my foot, slobbering all over my pants and having her ears scratched, clearly entirely happy to see me. :-* God, I wish I could sneak her past my LL.

THEN THE BEST PART: The guy started to try to 'loom' at me--OK, I'm short, it's easy to try to loom over me--but Demon stepped right in front of him and gave him a very clear "get away from my friend, you jerk" warning growl!  He totally dropped her lead and had to back up about four steps.  :o :D

So then he's standing there, with his big scary guard dog guarding ME, looking confused.  And that's when I took the opportunity to say, very tiredly, "Look.  I'm not trying to cause trouble.  I'm just very, very worried that by having someone who's clearly been drunk every night in charge of locking up that this dog is going be left loose again! And the next time I might not be right there, the way I was the other night. She could get hurt or she could seriouly hurt somebody else--and there will be cops all over this place if that happens, especially if it's one of those skateboard kids that she wants to chase. If someone other than the drunk guy were closing up at night, I wouldn't feel like I have to keep coming over here all the time. I can tell that the dog's been well taken care of, she likes it here, she likes the people here, and she's happy. All I care about is that she stays that way. Just have someone sober work the last shift and lock up, PLEASE. That's all it would take to get me out of your hair."  And then I just stood there and waited, petting his scary guard dog, who was back to slobbering me within an inch of my life.

The manager says, "OK.  Just a minute."  He motions the suit over to the bays, and they gather several of the mechanics around and have a conversation.  I didn't budge--I sat on a pile of tires, and petted the dog and waited. Finally, the suit comes back and says, "OK.  One of the others will lock up. My nephew can work in the morning."

"Oh, I didn't realize it was your nephew." Which I did, but who cares--it was a bone to throw him.  "I don't care who locks up, as long as he's not drunk, so the dog's not left loose. Thanks very much for making the change."  And I gave Demon a last chin scratch, then went back home to shower again.

We'll see if the drunk's not around when I get home tonight, but all things considered, if they really make the change, I think it's the best result for Demon.  She just has such a good time there--being petted by customers all day, and scaring people all night!

Plus now she's learned to come to me for lovies. How good is that?!  :D
Sheryl, Dogless and sad

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2006, 01:47:06 pm »
That is absolutly fabulous!!!...I just love it!...Mostly the part where Demon Dog gaurds you!!!...Fabulous!....Outstandin g!!!...Wonderful!!! ;D ;D :-* ;D ;D

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2006, 01:49:03 pm »
You go girl - that is soooo awesome! I applaud your determination and courage! And thanks to you, the Demon will be safe and you have a new 4-legged friend!

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2006, 01:54:54 pm »
Sheryl,

you are nothing short of AWESOME!! and that is the best story!!

By the way, they are wrong when they say "no one is responsible for the dog." YOU are obviously responsible for her.

You deserve a huge pat on the back and all the slobbery kisses she can give.

Jeanne
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain