Author Topic: Natural Defense Flea Stuff??  (Read 3188 times)

Kiahpyr

Natural Defense Flea Stuff??
« on: July 07, 2006, 11:05:18 am »
Just wondering if anyone has used or has heard of Sentry Natural Defense Flea & Tick squeeze on. I saw it in Petco today and just want to know if it's safe to use and that it works. Here's the ingredients and a website.

http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/products/Sentry-Natural-Defense-Flea-Tick-Squeeze-On/207000.aspx

Active Ingredients:
Peppermint Oil .............. .... 3.00%
Cinnamon Oil .............. ...... 4.50%
Lemongrass Oil .............. ... 4.50%
Clove Oil .............. ............ 5.00%
Thyme Oil .............. ........... 5.00%
2-Phenethyl Propionate* .... 5.00%

Other Ingredients:
(Vanillin, Isopropyl Myristate) ... 73.00%

* 2-Phenethyl Propionate is a natural botanical extract commonly found in food.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2006, 11:06:14 am by Tajsa »

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
Re: Natural Defense Flea Stuff??
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2006, 04:37:00 pm »

Based on the ingredients, I question how effective it would be.  I know that lemongrass and peppermint are often reasonably effective for fleas, but not as consistently powerful as others and there is nothing here to truly repel ticks in my view.  The single best oil for ticks is rose geranium or palmarosa oil (cheaper substitute) so I regard this one as essential in any product purported to help with ticks.  Key ones for fleas are also rosemary and orange (citric acid) so the best flea sprays usually include these or one of these. This also contains alcohol for preservation - not a deal breaker in my view, but not as good as making your own fresh either so keep on the main body and never apply on the face.

If you don't want to make your own, then I recommend this one or one like it:

http://pugsleys-choice.com/productbugof.html

There are many more but I will have to think of them, since I have always made my own they are not top of mind.
SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2006, 04:52:48 pm »

Oh...I should have added that I always use lavender and find it key as well.  I also used to use citronella - highly effective if your dog will tolerate it. Many dogs are quite offended by this smell so I stopped using it just to avoid ticking of my girl Skylar who used to bury her head and cover her nose.

Here are a few good links:

On this one, good advice except the "hang on collar around the neck" part.  Never put potent oils like tea tree (an antiseptic) or citronella anywhere near the face and mucouse membranes - it hurts to inhale.

http://www.caninenaturalcures.co.uk/fleas.htm

This one is very helpful as well since it provides pointers for a host of flea repelling actions. I use nematodes in my yard as well as other beneficial insects, I only use OrangeGuard as my pesticide on my property, and I also feed garlic and B vitamins during the summer flea months. Nothing works as well however as cleaning and vaccuming as this is where they live - they only spend 5% of their time actually on your dogs.

http://eartheasy.com/article_natural_flea_control.htm
SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar

Offline lshelley21

• Big Paw Certified
  • Jazmine 7 months old
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2006, 05:53:20 am »
Hi sorry to be delayed in reading this... i used it on Jazmine and all her fur fell out on her back!!!!!!! NEVER AGAIN will i use it... i have 8 left if you want them.
Lauren, Jazmine (great dane)
Jazmine's pets:
Calvin (ferret)
Willy (ferret)
Samantha (ferret)
Baxter (ferret)
Ferrets friends:
Shirly and baldamore (geckos)
Gecko's friend:
Big D (fish)

Oh yeah.. my pet.. Matt (hubby)
Our pets are all above