Author Topic: Bland Diet dog foods  (Read 2238 times)

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Bland Diet dog foods
« on: July 10, 2006, 02:48:12 pm »
So, Zoey has been having diahrea issues and last week we put her on a bland rice/hamburger diet and the vet also prescribed some medicine to calm her irritated stomach/bowel. She was doing well, but as soon as I put her back on regular food yesterday the diahrea came back. Her stool tested negative for any parasites, so now we know for sure the food is the issue. She has been eating Nature's Variety, which is a super-premium food, but it is apparently too rich for her. Zoey has had the following foods:
*pedigree (the breeder fed it to her): she did fine on but I switched her off of it right away because it is crap
*solid gold wolf king: she did great on at first, then started to have issues with
*wellness super5mix: she did great on, but then they got a "great new taste" that she didn't like
*canidae: she did pretty well on, but then got sick on the last ag
*nature's variety: she is not doing well on

The vet wants to put her on a prescription diet and recommends science diet ID or eukanuba low-residue. But I REALLY don't want to do that. I refuse to feed her the science diet because it is crap (first five ingredients: Ground Whole Grain Corn, Brewers Rice, Dried Egg Product, Chicken By-Product Meal, Corn Gluten Meal). The eukanuba is a little better, but still not good (first 5: Corn Grits, Brewers Rice, Chicken By-Product Meal, Chicken, Fish Meal).

I am looking for a premium brand that is less irratable to sensitive tummies. I really strongly believe in the kinds of foods recommended by the whole food journal.

Does anyone who has had similar problems have any suggestions?
RIP former BPO

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Bland Diet dog foods
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006, 02:57:12 pm »
I am in the exact same boat as you with Connor. I have been cooking his meals (rice, oatmeal, chicken, beef) for weeks because he can't handle kibble.
I am SLOWLY introducing Natural Balance Fish and Sweet Potato. So far I can give him about a cup of it at each meal with no blowouts. It is really slow-going over here! I am hoping this food will work for him.

I would also love to hear what everyone here recommends. I find it really sad that veterinarians are still recommending Hill's foods like I/D. ???

Kiahpyr

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2006, 03:13:29 pm »
Poor Zoey! I had the same problem with Kiah. She's now on Natural Balance Venison and Brown rice. Her poops are firm and she also doesn't puke has much. I like all the Natural Balance foods because they only have 1 protien and 1 carb source. The other foods could be too rich for Zoey. The vet also wanted to put Kiah Science Diet ID and I refused. I'm so glad I found something that works. Good Luck!

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2006, 05:15:53 pm »
I decided to try California Natural chicken and rice and see how it works out. When I was searching the internet I found a website where a vetrinarian recommended it for sensitive tummies, and then when I went to our specialty pet store (which carries only premium and super premium brands), I talked to the lady and she also reccomended california natural as the best thing they had for sensitive tummies, so I figured it was a good one to try. It only has chicken, rice, and them vitamins/minerals, so there are less ingredients to upset her stomach.

Please keep the suggestions coming though, in case california natural doesn't work
RIP former BPO