Author Topic: HUGE VENT!!  (Read 7225 times)

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
HUGE VENT!!
« on: July 10, 2006, 09:12:24 pm »
I just finished posting this on another board, but I'm just so upset right now, I need to vent some more.  I've copied and pasted it from the other board.

Okay, so we go to the dog park, and things are going pretty well.  Everyone is running around and having a good time (well, except N&P who are on leashes and moaning about it the whole time).

I see a couple of bassetts heading our way and I was like "aaawwwee, just look at those ears flapping in the breeze" as they ran down the hill.  A kid came down with them, with the mom trailing behind. (do you know where this is going yet?)

Some of you have probably heard me mention on here before how Gunther is afraid of children, particularly b/t the ages of 5 and 12 (this one was around 10).  I was watching the one bassett, who N&P were saying hello to.  Gunther was standing a few feet in front of me, facing me.  Suddenly, the kid runs w/i about a foot of Gunther and scares him.  He kind of shimmies over to my mom and barks at the people standing next to her (probably thinking it was them).

Now I was willing to give the kid the benefit of the doubt the first time, as kids naturally run around.  But then he comes running right by us again, actually looking at Gunther to see what he would do.  Well, Gunther sees who is doing the running and runs at the boy, barking.  The kid runs behind a large bush and teases Gunther, running from one side to the other.  I call Gunther over, and he obliges.  Next to this bush is a wooden slat fence which separates the lake from the rest of the dog park.  The kid goes on the other side of the fence and makes faces at Gunther.  Gunther runs over there barking again.  I call him back again.

The kid then jumps the fence, and Gunther goes off.  He runs at the boy, barking in his face and lunging at him with teeth bared (but not biting him, thank God, and thank goodness I was one of the few people to see this b/c the bush was in the way).  I once more call Gunther and he comes over.  This time I put him in a down stay.  Keep in mind the whole time the mother is doing nothing other than yelling at the boy, who obviously wasn't listening to anything she said.

The people we were talking to before this all happened (who had a very nice german shepherd, btw) asked if he was okay.  I told them he was afraid of children.  The mom, who was also sitting there asked how long I've had him, and I told her since he was 12 wks.  He wasn't abused, he just doesn't like their behaviors (I dont' really blame him).  At one point the boy comes up again FROM BEHIND and tries to pet Gunther and I have to grab his collar and keep him from seeing the boy.  I was hoping these people were just passing thru, since they had a pit mix with sore feet but after a few minutes we left to the little dog park.

We were having a blast.  Another person with 2 small dogs came to play, and I talked with a bouvier des flandres owner on the other side of the fence when she passed.  I kept my eyes open in case that family was going to pass our way.  They did.  I saw them first and grabbed Gunther's collar.  He then saw them and started growling and huffing.  Then, if you can believe this, the stupid motherf-ing boy started climbing the fence to come into our area!!!!!!  (WTF!!)  The mom just yells at him and continues on her way.  My mom said, "I wouldn't advise that if I were you", but he doesn't listen and jumps in.  My mom finally goes over there and tells him to get out of here!  Go on, get out!  He finally leaves.  Gunther kept a close watch in the direction they left for the whole rest of the time we were there.

GOD, I just can't understand some people!  What is wrong with that mother?  If your kid isn't behaving, then leave.  I can't blame my dog for your kid's bad behavior, and if he gets bit, I have witnesses who saw what happened.  I just hope this hasn't ruined Gunther's impression of young boys (especially black kids, as this kid was black, or 1/2 black).  He did so well at the parade yesterday.
AAAAAAAAAAAARR RRRRRRRRGGGGGG GGGGHHHHHHHHHH !!!!!!!!!

chris

doggylover

Re: HUGE VENT!!
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006, 09:35:12 pm »
There are so many reasons we don't go to the dog park.  Now I'll add this to the trip:  reason #348 morons with their ill mannered children go to them.
:)

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2006, 09:55:16 pm »
I agree with doggylover on that, but I have to say how impressed I am with how both you and Gunther handled that nightmare.  The kid DIDN'T get eaten....or even bit!  HUGE success.  The mother was the biggest idiot in the whole situation!  SHE should have had the kid on down-stay! 

Congrats to you for surviving!!! and to have a dog that would listen and obey even though he's being challenged like that!!!

WOW!!!  Three cheers!!!

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2006, 10:08:51 pm »
Well, if I hadn't called Gunther back that third time, I think the kid was about to get bit.

Gunther is the sweetest guy in the world, but if he thinks you are a threat, and you aren't listening to his warnings(and Gunther gives plenty of warnings), I have no doubt he would act on instinct to protect himself and his pack.

modified to add: not that I want him to bite anyone, far from it.  I just wouldn't be surprised if he did, after what the kid was doing.  Gunther does not like erratic, strange behavior, as most dogs don't.  And once he's on edge, it's hard to get him to relax again.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 10:11:09 pm by ZooCrew »

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2006, 11:26:13 pm »
If that was my kid he'd of gotten his a** kicked right there in front of God & everyone after I put my dogs in the truck!...But I can guaruntee my children wouldn't have ever done something like that to start with...For one thing they've been taught how to act in public not just at the dog park, they've been taught to respect not just dogs but all life & for another thing they have a good healthy respect (fear :D) of Mama Bear ;)!!!!!!!!!!...If that lady's children acted like that I am curious to know how her dog acted. :-\ I honestly don't think that children belong at the dog park to start with...I am sorry if I am ruffling anyone's feathers but the dog park is already an accident waiting to happen...This is by nature not design...Multi ple unaquainted dogs of different breeds & therefore purpose in a pack jockying for position...Thr owing childern into that equation is unsettling to think about to say the least....Just my humble opinion as always. :)

Offline jaspers mom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2006, 05:46:30 am »
I agree with doggylover on that, but I have to say how impressed I am with how both you and Gunther handled that nightmare.  The kid DIDN'T get eaten....or even bit!  HUGE success.  The mother was the biggest idiot in the whole situation!  SHE should have had the kid on down-stay! 

Congrats to you for surviving!!! and to have a dog that would listen and obey even though he's being challenged like that!!!

WOW!!!  Three cheers!!!

I agree totally.  Great way to handle the situation.

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2006, 06:18:41 am »
It sounds like you and Gunther handled it well.  I bet the moronic mother would have been right in your face had Gunther bit "her little angel".  My daughter is 7 but she still thinks all dogs are there for her pleasure but you can bet I ALWAYS have my eyes open for dogs so that I can stop her before she manages to get to one.  people can be such idiots!!!

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2006, 07:10:46 am »
I am sorry if I am ruffling anyone's feathers but the dog park is already an accident waiting to happen...

Completely, totally and absolutely agree with you!  It scares me half to death to see little kids at a dog park!  Their faces are right there where there are lots of mouths with really sharp teeth!!! 

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2006, 10:57:08 am »

WOW!!!  Three cheers!!!

I agree totally.  Great way to handle the situation.
Absolutly!...Talk about grace under fire on both your & Gunther's part!...Our big dogs continuously amaze me with their trust in us...I mean they know basic instinct "fight or flee" when they feel threatened & to hold themselves together in situations like you described is nothing short of admirable!

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2006, 02:28:40 pm »
Thanks, you guys.  This makes me feel a bit better.

For those who dislike the dog parks for one reason or another....... ........this only cements my reasoning for going.  Not that I want to meet bratty kids there, but it exposes them to all kinds of situations that I can't expose them to in my own backyard, or even with friends' dogs.  Especially now since we are at my parents and they live pretty much in the country, and Nigel and Posey need the exposure to other dogs (and they need some doggie discipline, which Keiko and Gunther won't dish out, but which they have gotten at the dog park)

I've been going to dog parks for a number of years now, and this is the first instance of extreme stupid behavior by a child.  In fact, I rarely see kids at dog parks.  Of the ones I have seen, only 2 or 3 should have never been there.  I do agree that some dog parks are a bad situation waiting to happen, but overall I think they are a good thing, especially for people w/o a yard, with dogs that aren't reliable off leash, and for dogs that may need better socialization.  Alot of dog parks are going the permit way, which means you need a permit to use the property (and there are people who go to check).  To get a permit, your dog needs proof of vaccinations.  Out of 20 parks in the twin cities area, only 3 are non permit requiring.  If you are caught w/o a permit, there is a large fine.  Luckily, the park near my parent's house is one that doens't require a permit (although they would like you to purchase one to help with maintenance costs)

Okay, I am feeling much better today.  I will just have to keep an eye out for this kid if he ever goes there when we are there again.  And believe me, I will have more than just words if I do see this kid again.  Not only for him, but for his mother as well.

Offline Mom2Sadie

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2006, 03:05:32 pm »
Poor Gunther! And poor YOU! I'm glad you're feeling better today and that Gunther managed to not eat the kid (only for Gunther's sake as the kid totally deserved to get eaten). What parent lets there kid act like that towards any dog, never mind a dog big enough to eat them?

I HATE IDIOTS!

I totally agree with you though on the notion that it's exactly this type of situation that you want to expose a dog to, so they know how to handle it if it happens. I take Sadie everywhere I possibly can. She's fine with everyone now, even idiots.  ;)
Dear Lord,
Just for today, let me be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Shawna
Sadie the Newf
Gus and Maggie - Maine Coon Kitties
Lady the Boxer waiting at the bridge

Offline smsmith

• Leader of the Pack
  • Einstein has changed my life -- for the good!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2006, 03:55:19 pm »
3 cheers for not "accidentally" letting go of Gunther's collar while that kid egged him on -- a few minutes of being stood on by Gunther might have cured him from running around like an idiot in freakin dog park!

Einstein likes to sit in our driveway (I share with my neighbor).  He's on a chain -- long enough for him to run around, not long enough to get into trouble.  Neighbor's granddaughter & her friend (about 9 - 10 yrs) decided they wanted to pet him.  Great idea from 20 feet away.  Of course as soon as they get near, he's up and wagging his incredibly big tail, pouncing around to see if they'll play.  And the girls run in terror, only to try again in a few minutes.  After about 3 times, i have to go bring him in the house till they forget about THAT entertainment.

Kids without supervision are bad enough, but when the kid's mom is standing right there, .  .  .  THAT's the kind of mom who raises a psychopath.  No discipline, just rewards all the time.

I applaud your mom for taking the initiative -- when his own mother wouldn't -- telling him to get out.

Signed,
Don't do dog parks anymore
Sarah

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2006, 11:02:15 am »
No offense Chris, please don't take this as condescending or snotty, but why didn't you speak up?  It sounded like you had multiple opportunities to do so to that kid but you didn't.  If a dog or some person is bothering Drake, I speak up and tell them he doesn't like that or I shoo the dog away.  I totally understand that Gunther doesn't like Tweens, so wouldn't it be better to tell those kids, VERY CLEARLY, that they need to stay away.  Embarrass them if you have to, what do you have to lose?  If a polite request doesn't work the first time, let them have it, don't be non-confrontational.  With most kids, you have to get in their face for them to take a clue that you don't appreciate their behaviour. If the parent objects, let them know what's up.  Explain to them you're trying to avoid a bad situation.  Just a thought, No big deal.  ;D
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2006, 08:08:30 pm »
No offense Chris, please don't take this as condescending or snotty, but why didn't you speak up?  It sounded like you had multiple opportunities to do so to that kid but you didn't.  If a dog or some person is bothering Drake, I speak up and tell them he doesn't like that or I shoo the dog away.  I totally understand that Gunther doesn't like Tweens, so wouldn't it be better to tell those kids, VERY CLEARLY, that they need to stay away.  Embarrass them if you have to, what do you have to lose?  If a polite request doesn't work the first time, let them have it, don't be non-confrontational.  With most kids, you have to get in their face for them to take a clue that you don't appreciate their behaviour. If the parent objects, let them know what's up.  Explain to them you're trying to avoid a bad situation.  Just a thought, No big deal. 

You're right, of course.  I take no offense, and to tell you the truth?  I am kicking myself for not speaking up.  I know I am too mild mannered and meek, as well as non-confrontational.  I do know I need to toughen up for my own sake, and my dog's sake.  If you really want to get into it, alot had to do with the fact my mom was there with me.  I won't go into details, but I am not myself around my parents, nor am I allowed to be myself.  One reason I can't wait until I get out of here!  Waiting for hubby to get job so we can get a loan for a house and finish the move to Illinois.

cricket36580

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2006, 08:45:04 pm »
Come down here with me for a while and go through my assertiveness trainig.  You'll be scaring little twits...I mean tweens in no time.  There was a time when I would also have not said anything.  Not now.  Look out if you're bothering any of my kids or my critters!   :o