Author Topic: I'm so mad I can't see straight!  (Read 15987 times)

cricket36580

Re: I'm so mad I can't see straight!
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2006, 08:07:05 am »
This is definately time to take action and get everyone introduced to the girls.  I would also document everything adn retain my own attorney.  I think they are looking at it as a preventive measure rather than a malicious stab.  But you know them, I don't.  I would also be furious over this and probably not handle it as well as you...

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2006, 08:09:29 am »
This is definately time to take action and get everyone introduced to the girls.  I would also document everything adn retain my own attorney.  I think they are looking at it as a preventive measure rather than a malicious stab.  But you know them, I don't.  I would also be furious over this and probably not handle it as well as you...
Oh I am furious!  I'm red in the face and I'm about to cry.  I don't have much to do with the neighbors since I'm not a people person (especially a neighborly people person). 

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2006, 08:15:37 am »
Just make sure you maintain your composure. People will listen to you more if you are calm and collected and will tune you out if you let your emotions overtake you. Explain to them that you can understand their concerns because all we ever hear from the media is about dog attacks and rarely about good dogs. However, do your research and find stories on rottweilers that have done good things and have them available to enlighten people.

And, remember, this isn't a direct attack on you and your dogs. This letter went out to everyone in your neighborhood and was a direct result of bad pet management by the golden retriever owner. (and I am completely shocked that a Golden would cause such horrible damage to a child. I've never met a golden who was anything but gentle and sweet).

This is your chance to educate a large group of people. Sounds like you have a lot of dog owners in your neighborhood so I don't think it will too difficult. Let us know what we can do to help.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2006, 08:21:48 am »
yeah girl, we got your back!
I am a google-maniac and LOVE to research in my down time at work. I will be happy to dig up statistics and examples of rotties-done-good if you need. Just give me the word.

Icerotti

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2006, 08:24:07 am »
Well I don't think I could add anything else to what has already been said. It is all great advise. I am sorry you have to be subjected to such rude and uneducated people.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2006, 08:24:39 am »
let me clear my head and maybe I'll feel better later about this.  :)  :-\

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2006, 08:27:49 am »
a Golden would cause such horrible damage to a child. I've never met a golden who was anything but gentle and sweet).

A small point:  we have no idea what the child was doing to the golden.  Was it a provoked attack?  In that case, the letter should go out to those with small children as well!!

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2006, 08:29:21 am »
a Golden would cause such horrible damage to a child. I've never met a golden who was anything but gentle and sweet).

A small point:  we have no idea what the child was doing to the golden.  Was it a provoked attack?  In that case, the letter should go out to those with small children as well!!

Me either.  I don't know what happened ... this is the first I've heard of a dog attack in Cedar Springs. 

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2006, 08:41:36 am »
Here's a good story:

http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/rottweiler_dogs/34372/1

and another one:

http://www.gunnerdog.com/

and a good rottweiler rescue and anti breed restriction site specific to rottweilers

http://www.rottie46102.com/
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline Mom2Sadie

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2006, 08:48:09 am »
And, remember, this isn't a direct attack on you and your dogs. This letter went out to everyone in your neighborhood and was a direct result of bad pet management by the golden retriever owner. (and I am completely shocked that a Golden would cause such horrible damage to a child. I've never met a golden who was anything but gentle and sweet).

Apparently this is happening with Goldens more and more now due to popularity and bad breeding practices. It's so sad because they are the most wonderful dogs, and all of a sudden now I've heard tons of stories about them biting and attacking.

Lin, I'm sorry that you're so upset. I've been there with Homeowner's Associations and big dog prejudice. Sadie is one of three large dogs in our neighborhood and she doesn't even get the brunt of it anymore. Our neighbor's GSD gets tons of complaints and it is by far the best behaved dog in the neighborhood. I would do as others have suggested. Find lots of stories about Rotts doing good things, rescue, police work, whatever you can find.

Also try not to get defensive, as hard as that is. That was my biggest mistake with my neighbor situation. Your dogs have done nothing wrong, there's no legal way that I know of for anyone to force you to do anything. They can't force you to get rid of your dogs or chain them up or anything like that because SOME Rottwielers have bitten people. The best thing you can do at this point is educate your neighbors about the breed and your dogs in particular. Things like this ALWAYS stem from fear and from ignorance. If you stay calm and show them there's nothing to be afraid of with your girls, everything will be ok. I'm sure of it. Should you HAVE to do that? No, absolutely not. It's not fair that you should have to defend your dogs because of something another dog (in this case it's not even the same breed, just roughly the same size!) did. But people start things like this up because they are scared and they don't know any better. If events like Goldens attacking people show us anything it is that you can NEVER judge a dog solely based on it's breed - good or bad.

If you need anything, let us know. I'd be more than happy to help you research or something. If nothing else, just take comfort in the fact that BPO's got your back girlfriend :)
Dear Lord,
Just for today, let me be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Shawna
Sadie the Newf
Gus and Maggie - Maine Coon Kitties
Lady the Boxer waiting at the bridge

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2006, 08:53:12 am »
I printed those articles...tha nk you!

Offline Softhug

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2006, 08:54:10 am »
I don't know if this would help, but once Boudreaux had all his puppy shots taken care of, we started walking the neighborhood in the morning and in the evening.  Any kids or adults that are outside I say hello to and usually they will either come up and want to pet him (usually the kids) and the adults will almost always ask me about him.  He is still such a spazzy puppy and gets a bit wiggly and hyper when a kid comes up, but I don't want them to be afraid of him once he gets HUGE.  I agree with the educating the HOE and I would start attending the meetings so you know what is going on as well as being there to represent the big dog owners.
Jacquie-Undercover Princess
Tsu Ling-Chow Chow-RIP 5/08
Boudreaux-American Mastiff
Griffey-Pi55y, fat, yellow cat
Comrade-red/white Siberian Husky
"Lots of people talk to animals," said Pooh.
"Not that many listen though."
"That's the problem."

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2006, 09:13:23 am »
Lin, Let me know who I can call or write with some actual facts with actual basis.

I will be gone from this afternoon until late tomorrow evening as Randy's grandfather has passed away & we will be attending the funeral...Than k goodness my sister can stay here with my animals.

It's funny that just last night my sister & I were talking about dog breeds & BSL...I made mention that I never...not once...met a Rottie that wasn't an absolute sweetheart!...It is strange to me that they get such a bad rap.

Hearing about things like this seriously reminds me of colonial times & TheSalem Witch Trials...You'd think that we would have evolved in our rational since those days.

I am sorry you have this stress on you...Again, let me know if there is anything I can do. :)

Offline zanie

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2006, 09:34:47 am »
 >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

People can be SO...I don't know because I can't come up with a strong enough word for STUPID that I can say here...

Rotties are such sweetie, UNLESS their owner is a moron.  Most rotties I've seen just kind of lumber along and proceed to slobber all over you when you pet them.

While I think the CGC certification is a good idea on one hand, what if a dog can't pass it?  They may be a perfectly good and sweet dog but just not be able to sit still and pass the CGC test.  Does this mean they have to be rehomed or the owner have to move?
"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive." - Gilda Radner

Seattle, WA

Offline Leah-n-boy-os

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2006, 09:35:07 am »
Oh Lins - so sorry this is happening to you.  :'(

Everyone has come up with some really great suggestions! I know you had mentioned that you are not a "people-person", but I highly encourage you to attended any committee meetings you can. The reason for this....you are a VOTING member. You have a voice in whatever decisions are finally made, and there's no better time than right now for you to excerise that voice!

Keep your chin up, and let us know if there's anything we can do to help!
Leah and the Boy-os
Apollo (Akita/St. Bernard)
Zeus (Heinz 57)
Onyx (Newfoundland)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Being owned by Big Paws just indicates how big your heart is.

located - Gig Harbor, WA