Author Topic: Fleas and ticks and chiggers, oh my!  (Read 4096 times)

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
Fleas and ticks and chiggers, oh my!
« on: July 17, 2006, 10:22:25 am »
Help!

Our new home is in an area with lots of fleas, ticks, and chiggers.  :P Yikes!  What do you do to prevent flea and tick infestations?  Is there something to prevent chiggers too?  We are also planning on treating the yard--does anyone else do this?

We've always lived in places with few fleas and ticks and no chiggers.

Thanks!

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Fleas and ticks and chiggers, oh my!
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2006, 10:25:59 am »
I'm having a flea problem in my yard also, never had one before.  My vet told me they use two products on their yard one is Over and Out (I think) it's actually a red ant killer product, there is a big red ant on the front.  The other is by Bayer and I'm sorry I don't remember the name of that....someth ing advantage.  But they said to use one and then a couple of months later use the other, using the same one consistently doesn't work as well so they change it up every few months.  Hope this helps, I'm going to try it to
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2006, 10:29:24 am »
Thanks!  We'll look for those.  Since we've never had this before, I really don't know what to do! :o

doggylover

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2006, 10:32:35 am »
Oh, that is miserable.  We put a tiny bit of Garlic in our dog's food and it seems to keep them from getting fleas, because we never have to use anything on them.  I heard from someone on here that too much garlic can make them anemic, so don't use very much!  Mine get 2 teaspoons of fresh garlic per 6 pounds of food, if that helps...
Ronda ;)

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2006, 10:35:53 am »
I'll have to try that!  I do love the smell of garlic!!  Cute pup BTW, is that Gossy?  I'm thinking of getting a mastiff next.
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2006, 10:37:29 am »
Oooh, garlic!  How interesting... I've heard that eating garlic will keep mosquitoes from biting people too.  Don't know if it works, though. :)

doggylover

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2006, 11:05:57 am »
I'll have to try that!  I do love the smell of garlic!!  Cute pup BTW, is that Gossy?  I'm thinking of getting a mastiff next.
Garlic totally ruins puppy breath but it is worth it!  That is Gossy, in the fur...there are pics of her on the thread 'Gossy pictures'. 
Garlic also works for humans, although they seem to REALLY like me...I think it's because I have a sweet tooth and eat tons of sugar.  They love sweet blood. 
 ;)