Author Topic: Any raw feeders on BPO??  (Read 30569 times)

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
Re: Any raw feeders on BPO??
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2005, 10:49:32 am »
I'm going to do this the lazy way.
Will you guys walk me through this from the store to the bowl of feeding raw foods?
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2005, 11:04:36 am »
I am just starting to feed raw...actually making the switch this week.  So we will see how it goes.  Iam excited to get the dogs off the kibble.  I am soon getting a Dane pup who is 3rd generation raw fed.  So I am getting the Poms and the cats started so we will all be on the same page as the new pup.
Brigid, I am just wondering how your puppers are doing on the RAW diet...I am interested in knowing about the transition...T Y!

Offline RedyreRottweilers

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2005, 01:38:27 pm »
I have been an exclusively raw feeder since the early 90s.

Zero kibble here, except for dog biscuit treats.

What method of raw feeding will you be following?

Do you have any books?

There are some great raw feeding lists at Yahoo too, that have lots of helpful people on them.

:D
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com
No part of this message may be forwarded without my permission.

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2005, 07:42:54 am »
My biggest issue is that I don't ever cook for myself how will I force myself to do it for the dogs.  I just eat frozen pizza, veggies, or milk.
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2005, 09:41:02 am »

I could never prepare someone sufficiently to start feeding raw with a quick message or two on this site - so if you're interested in learning more I highly recommend some outstanding reading by some excellent experts.  To start, everyone should have Kymythy Schultz' "Natural Nutrition for Dogs and Cats" - this is a great and short book to get you started.  Also, you should have Dr. Martin Goldstein's "Nature of Animal Healing". If you buy nothing else, these books would get you going.

Also, there are many great websites to help in specific areas:  Naturalrearing .com, belovedbulldog s.com, healinghope.ne t, and many more.

As already mentioned here, there are also great Yahoo discussion groups that can be invaluable to getting questions answered as they arise.  Many very experienced raw feeders and vets are on these to help.  Most purebreeds have a raw group on Yahoo but I have to caution you to find one that is knowledgeable - for instance, I have two breeds in my home and belong to both raw groups - one is the most experienced and knowledgeable group you will ever find, and the other couldn't be less informed and therefore is ill equipped to help newbies.  There is a rawfeeding group on Yahoo that is not breed specific.

The effort involved is as much as you want to make it - it can be very very easy once you learn how to shop.  Many I know feed pre-packaged raw - purchased raw dog food just like your kibble.  Great brands are bravorawdiet.c om and halshans.com  Putting this is your dog's bowl with a few extras/supplements isn't exactly involved.  I feed bravo sometimes, but generally prepare my own from scratch.  This entails raw meaty bones which I just hand out - or raw muscle meat and organ meat, with ground veggies and berries.  It takes me 10 minutes to prepare their meals from scratch including grinding the veggies.  If this is too much, see above for easier route.

I hope people will read up on this to learn more about what optimal nutrition and health is in our pets.  Just as we constantly hear/read doctors telling us to "eat plenty of raw fruits and vegetables" for our own health, it is also true for every living mammal.  Only raw food has live enzymes, amino acids, vitamins and minerals in tact.  So many are feeding this way that dog food manufacturers and the vets who are loyal to them are pretty upset about it - time will test this out however.

SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2005, 11:12:55 am »
Gyps - well my female POm, Irie, would rather starve then eat raw.  She is my alpha and does not do a thing unless she wants too. I have been breaking her in really really slow.... still part kibble part raw.  My male Pom, Gunner, loves it..doesn't want a thing to do with kibble.  And he looks the best I have ever seen...coat looks great.  He use to have runny eyes from allergies - all gone...  I am very impressed!  The cats think I am nuts!!!!!  My new pup - Willow, who I am getting this week - only knows raw food.  Has never been on kibble
Timmie

Offline gsd_mom

• Gnawer
  • The FL Furkids
    • View Profile
    • Meet The Florida Furkids
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2005, 09:58:41 am »
Yep 4 Rawfed GSDS and 1 cat here.  Again, not barf....no veggies....no kibble...just raw meaty bones & organs.  Everyone is happy and healthy.

http://www.groups.yahoo.com/group/rawfeeding/

I don't try to convert the kibble users, as I myself sat on the fence for years.....rese arching.  But my dogs and I are so glad I switched!  IF I were still feeding kibble though, I'd go with Innova EVO, as that's the closest thing to raw that I found.  No surprise...it's expensive.  I'd rather spend the money on human grade meat. 
~Carol & the FL Furkids~
Maxi & Sassy & Big Mac & Delilah
http://justfurkids.com/
member - Sarasota K-9 Search & Rescue http://k-9sar.net/
webmaster - http://venicedogclub.org
webmaster - http://www.TampaBayGSDrescue.org
webmaster - http://SafeSocietyOfFlorida.com

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2005, 11:15:55 am »
GSD Mom - Glad to know there is another raw feeder....(there are a few of us here) I actually feed closer to Barf... My pups love the veggies... But if I were going to go back to kibble..I agree I would go with the Innova Evo.  I also do not try and convert...ever yone does what they need to for their dogs.  But I am glad we switched...My Poms look better...actua lly have a waist line...My dane I can't really tell any difference  because she was weaned to raw.

Offline GreatDanz

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Truly Great Danes!
    • View Profile
    • Mickey's Gold Bead Adventure
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2005, 10:15:02 am »
I feed both of my Danes RAW, have been for over a year now.

My younger guy had chronic diarrhea, rashes, Pano and HOD as a pup, I attribute all of this to problems with kibble.  Anyone interested in hearing more specifics on Mickey's story let me know, I don't want to go on and on here. 

We switched to RAW, within weeks rashes were gone, PANO and HOD went into remission, and solid poops for the first time ever.

I strongly believe in the immune boosting benefits of RAW.
-Ericka

Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that, behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable.  Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion. -Albert Einstein

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2005, 11:22:48 am »
I would love to hear more about Mickey's story.  Sugar Bear (14 mo. Great Pyrenees) has chronic diarrhea  he just finished a round of Albon.  He still has very soft stool.  He had Pano for about 6 months, it is better now but I do know it can come and go.

Lisa

I feed both of my Danes RAW, have been for over a year now.

My younger guy had chronic diarrhea, rashes, Pano and HOD as a pup, I attribute all of this to problems with kibble.  Anyone interested in hearing more specifics on Mickey's story let me know, I don't want to go on and on here. 

We switched to RAW, within weeks rashes were gone, PANO and HOD went into remission, and solid poops for the first time ever.

I strongly believe in the immune boosting benefits of RAW.
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline RedyreRottweilers

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2005, 11:27:24 am »
All raw here since the early 90s.

Little vaccination as well.
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com
No part of this message may be forwarded without my permission.

Offline GreatDanz

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Truly Great Danes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2005, 11:57:29 am »
Lisa, it makes me so sad to hear about your baby, I know how horrible it can be to see your pup in pain and not be able to fix it. 

When I first got Mickey he was switched over from what the breeder fed to Chicken Soup, my other dane Java was on CS.  Mick did ok the first few weeks, I attributed the diarrhea to switching his food.  A few weeks later the rashes started showing up, and it took me a while to narrow them down to his food as opposed to environment (cleaning solutions, shampoo, grass.....).  I figured he had a meat allergy, so I tried several other brands and formula of kibble, including the so-called hypoallergenic formulas such as wellness fish and potato.

Mick just wouldn't get better.  Then at 7 months he had his first hit with pano and HOD, it was horrible!  He would sit and just tremble because he was in so much pain.  Luckily buffered aspirin worked really well with him, and I would give those if I noticed he was hurting a lot.  Just before his first bout though, I had decided to switch him to raw and see if that would help with the rashes and diarrhea.  Amazingly, within days of switching, Mick had the first SOLID poop I'd ever seen him have!  The rashes were also disappearing, so I was hopeful that raw was the right path with him.

Of course, I took Mick to the vet during his first episode, and the vet chastised me for putting him on a raw diet, "a dog this big will NEVER get the nutrition he needs from a raw diet" is what he told me.  That is the first and only time I questioned my decision to go raw.  I put him back on kibble because I was afraid for him, I knew HOD could be fatal, I didn't want to lose my little Mickey.  Well, his poop went right back to mush, and the redness started appearing in his arm pits again.  Boy did I struggle with this!  Common sense told me that if Mickey had diarrhea, he absolutely was NOT absorbing the nutrients he needed to be healthy.  BUT, this vet told me it was wrong!  That's when I threw caution to the wind and went back to raw, I couldn't stand to see my poor baby suffer through all of these problems, raw was at least taking away SOME of his discomfort, and that was better than nothing.

I can honestly tell you that I believe switching Mick to raw saved his live.  3 weeks after his first bout we had a second, but it was MINOR compared to the first.  Weeks later, and not a single reoccurance, I knew I had done the right thing.  Mickey was healthier and happier than I had ever seen him, I swear I get tears in my eyes just thinking about it now.  For us, the RAW diet is a godsend.

I urge you to give it a try.  Start your baby on chicken, just chicken for three weeks.  I started with chicken quarters, they are good sized and force the pup to chew the bones well.  If you see negative results, go back to kibble, no harm done.  Hopefully, in 3-4 weeks you will begin to see improvement in his digestive system.  I would not add supplements or new meat for those first 3-4 weeks though, you don't want that to interfere with results.

The cool thing is, Mickey was cured of HOD and Pano without the assistance of any vet perscribed medications.  I don't think this would have happened if I wouldn't have switched his diet.

Please let me know if you have any other questions, I would be thrilled to help!
-Ericka

Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that, behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable.  Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion. -Albert Einstein

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2005, 01:23:47 pm »
Thank you so much for the story.  I have one other friend that has gone raw with her girl and the chronic diarrhea  stopped within days.  I am feeding Sugar Bear Nature's Recipe easy to digest chicken, rice, and barley.  I have tried Nutro, Solid Gold, Pro Plan, and Chicken Soup.  He also loves to have chicken jerky as a treat.  Do you know if there is a blood test to know if they have meat or gain allergy. I ask this because when I add plain rice to his kibble it the stool is just as soft if not softer. We also have a lake on the property and they play and drink from it.  I am going to have the water tested this week.  Sugar Bear is also great at finding dead fish to eat, I take them away as soon as I see him but  I am sure he finishes off a few.  I have started keeping a log of when it is the worst so that maybe I can pin down what is going on.  We live on 15ac. so at times it is hard to find the stool and make sure that it is his and not Dixie's.  He hates to potty when someone is watching, so it is hard to keep track of the daily output. 

As far as his Pano it is getting much better.  I hope that we will not have to deal with that again.  It has helped tons him having Dixie to run around and play with.  It is still hard for him to get up sometimes after a long nap.  It does not sould like Sugar Bears pano was as bad as Mick.  It just kills me when I can not fix a pain for my babies.  I know I over baby them but I lost my 9 1/2 year old pyr girl last summer. I guess taking care of my new babies is the way I deal with that.  I know now that the time we are given with our babies is so very short we need to make the most of each and every day.  I think it is my job to make sure they have the best life possible.

Lisa

Offline GreatDanz

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Truly Great Danes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2005, 01:43:42 pm »
Lisa, in my experience it's GRAINS that cause the dirrhea, that's why it's worse when you give him rice.

If you don't want to go RAW, have you tried Innova EVO?

Also, Slippery Elm works wonders with diarrhea!
-Ericka

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2005, 01:56:37 pm »
That is what I was thinking about the grain the day I noticed that the plain rice did not help.  I will check out the Innova EVO.  The more I read the more I am thinking I need to give the RAW a try.

Lisa