Author Topic: dog ownership should require a license! a rant!  (Read 2693 times)

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
dog ownership should require a license! a rant!
« on: July 23, 2006, 10:42:49 pm »
I crossposted the link about the reason pets are abandoned and the picture of the doghouse made of collars from euthanized dogs.  (it is a parenting board not a pet board, but there is a pet forum)
There have been a couple of responses which have included people telling stories about giving away their dogs, and that its okay as long as you give them to a nice home. :-\  One woman said she gave away her dog to a rescue because it would pee whenever they had company and she couldn't handle it.  Another woman said that she had a dog for 10 years (10 years!!!) that she gave away because they moved into a new house with a smaller backyard and she gave him away because he was so unhappy with it (it was a beagle)?!?!  (how do you give a dog away, especially one you have had for that long?!)
One of these women also went on to say that she planned on breeding her dog in the next year and she would make sure that she gave them to good homes, but some of them would probably be given to new owners at some point because it happens! ???
Sorry for the vent!
I am kind of a big deal!

doggylover

Re: dog ownership should require a license! a rant!
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2006, 10:45:10 pm »
I crossposted the link about the reason pets are abandoned and the picture of the doghouse made of collars from euthanized dogs.  (it is a parenting board not a pet board, but there is a pet forum)
There have been a couple of responses which have included people telling stories about giving away their dogs, and that its okay as long as you give them to a nice home. :-\  One woman said she gave away her dog to a rescue because it would pee whenever they had company and she couldn't handle it.  Another woman said that she had a dog for 10 years (10 years!!!) that she gave away because they moved into a new house with a smaller backyard and she gave him away because he was so unhappy with it (it was a beagle)?!?!  (how do you give a dog away, especially one you have had for that long?!)
One of these women also went on to say that she planned on breeding her dog in the next year and she would make sure that she gave them to good homes, but some of them would probably be given to new owners at some point because it happens! ???
Sorry for the vent!
Yes, it is frustrating.  This is something that quickly gets my temper going.  I think there should be a license too.  Oh AND another one for having human children.  I would be more than happy to be the dispenser of licenses, if nobody else has the time...
 >:( :D

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2006, 10:48:36 pm »
I don't get people like that either.  I guess I was lucky to have a place, either with my mom or a friend, that Navarre could stay with if needed until I found a house.  I moved quite a few times with him and when looking for a place the first question out of my mouth was "do you accept pets" and if they said no I just told them thanks and hung up.  But I must say it's not easy finding a place with a BP, which is sooo annoying, especially when Navarre was no longer a puppy!!  Anyway, I totally agree with the license, for fur and skin kids for that matter!!!  But that's a whole 'nother rant  :o
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2006, 10:51:22 pm »
I need to crosspost all the information about breeding and hope that woman rethinks her decision, probably won't!
I am kind of a big deal!