Author Topic: dumb question about confirmation and showing  (Read 12190 times)

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
dumb question about confirmation and showing
« on: July 24, 2006, 05:00:59 pm »
Chester was meant to be a show dog, but for a lot of different reasons, I didn't follow through.  My question is (and I'm trying to put a salve on my guilty conscience), if a dog doesn't meet the AKC guidelines on size, does that pretty much eliminate him from competition for confirmation?  I know we can do water work and or obedience, but my concern is confirmation.  Chester is very small for a male Newf...the guidelines for males are between 130 - 150 pounds, I think and Chester, at almost a year and a half is 106.  He looks a lot smaller than Cowboy who is 145 pounds.  What do you all think?

Offline tanimara

• Big Paw Certified
  • Tanimara's Spirit Warrior "Warrior"
    • View Profile
    • Tanimara Great Pyrenees
Re: dumb question about confirmation and showing
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 05:40:35 pm »
There are major flaws and minor flaws in show dogs.  I have never shown Newfies but I have shown Pyrs.  I do know that size is a serious fault in showing Pyrs.  Im not sure on the Newfie but I suspect it is.  I took a look at the standard for Newfs and it does not appear that size is a disqualificati on.  But on any given day your dog may be the best in the ring and loose mearly on size.  You can beat your head against the wall, spend a fortune and hours researching judges and you might get by with it, you might not.  The question is, if you want to show, why not get a dog that does not have those types of flaws.  He may be a doll and have the perfect personality for showing but with this type of flaw, I would not show nor would I breed him.  That's not critisim, just advise.  I sold a show pup to a gal in Canada.  You might know, she did not reach standard size.. dang, dang, dang... so I know how you feel.

Jackie
Jackie Wood
Owner/Breeder Tanimara Great Pyrenees

"A people without a history is like wind on the buffalo grass"
Crazy Horse - Oglala Sioux

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 05:43:56 pm »
Thanks, Jackie!  I sort of assumed that.  His daddy is at 130 and just won another BOB but I don't think Chester is going to get a whole lot bigger.  I wouldn't trade him for the world:  he's gorgeous, has a tremendous personality, and is SOOO healthy!  All in all, to us he's perfect, but not to be shown.

I think we'll work toward therapy and rescue and forget the showing part!!!

Thanks for your input!

SA_horses

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2006, 05:56:04 pm »
I think we'll work toward therapy and rescue and forget the showing part!!!

I think he will be an especially good student on the rescue part, considering his heroism in assisting you back to shore.  ;)

Sofia
« Last Edit: July 24, 2006, 07:41:42 pm by SA_horses »

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2006, 07:33:47 pm »
Yes, he is my 'little' hero!!!

MommyOfSchnauzers

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2006, 12:43:54 am »
Your perfect, handsome, little hero!

Offline Gevaudan_Jo

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2006, 07:30:52 am »
Hi there, i dont know anything about your breed for showing... or for standard for that matter but i do show my bull terrier, and Zero, my male is about 20 inches... the AKC standard is 21-23" where as CKC has no size recomended... Also there is a huge thing about the bite in this breed. Zero has good bite, but his Canine teeth are crooked... he has been pointed, and judges DO think he can become CH, but i have to work more with him they say. lol... ALOT Of pro handlers also, have asked me to get them to handle him for me, but that takes the fun from it LOL
so depending on how BAD the flaw is, in this case, the size diff, its not THAT big of deal they can DQ u or they can just let it slide... Depending on the judge ;)
Jodi & Darcy
Proud Parents of
Zero-Bull Terrier
Jigsaw-Bull Terrier
Repo- Jigsaw's baby Bull Terrier
Reba-Chinese Crested
Pavi-Xolo
Simba,Sabbath,Kimahri, Lil' Meow & Slimon-Cats
Robin the hermit crab and the 8 legged freak, Webley!
~ waiting at the bridge, Zeus and Memphis, great danes ~

Offline tanimara

• Big Paw Certified
  • Tanimara's Spirit Warrior "Warrior"
    • View Profile
    • Tanimara Great Pyrenees
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2006, 10:14:05 am »
Just FYI and not trying to be mean.... I wanted to put my 2 cents worth in here...  My area of "expertise" is in working dogs, specifically Great Pyrenees.  But Newfoundlands are a working dog also.

In a working dog, who's working ability does depend on size, it is a big deal. 

From the Newfoundland Dog of America's website...

The Newfoundland is a large, strong, heavy coated, active dog equally at home in the water and on land.  He is a multipurpose dog capable of heavy work....(snip)........ In Newfoundland he was a working dog used to pull nets for the fisherman and to haul wood from the forest (and other heavy labor, my added note for brevities sake)....
http://www.newfdogclub.org/a_ftp_main_directory/ftp_major_documents/newf_and_you.pdf

This discription is issued by the parent club for Newfoundlands in America.  This in itself denotes that size is indeed an important issue if the original characteristic s of the breed are to be preserved.

However you hit the nail on the head when you said..."depending on the judge"!

Jackie
Jackie Wood
Owner/Breeder Tanimara Great Pyrenees

"A people without a history is like wind on the buffalo grass"
Crazy Horse - Oglala Sioux

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2006, 11:06:00 am »
That's sort of what I assumed, as well.  And no, Jackie, I never thought of it as being mean!! :D  I did ask for an opinion!

As I mentioned before, to us, Chester is perfect.  His breeder had picked him as a show dog until one of his litter mates bit the end of his tail and broke it. He has a kink that you can feel so the breeder changed his mind and kept one of Chester's brother (the perp?? ;)).  The breeder still wanted me to try to show him, to see how good he really is. With my other Newfs, they were pretty close to full size by his age (17 months) and since he's so much smaller than the standard, I just decided not to follow through with showing.  I just didn't want to feel too guilty about it though.  His brother achieved his championship at 14 months!!!

Offline frosty73

• Gnawer
  • Giant puppy Atlas and mini Djin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2006, 07:28:29 am »
Hey, no reason to feel guilty about not showing!

The important thing is, give your dogs a good, loving home.  Do you think Chester is going to feel less worthwhile because he isn't a CH? :)

Lots and lots of people start showing dogs and give up midway through.  You just saved yourself the anguish of the first half.   ;)

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2006, 10:24:11 am »
Thanks!  I think of Chester as a champion anyway, though.  He really is the sweetest pup and adores his Cowboy.  I think the whole dog show thing is great for those who are going to breed their dogs, but I just don't have the heart for it.  I'd end up keeping all the puppies, my dh would through me out on the street with my 12 baby Newfs and my big Landseer (he'd keep Chester) and we'd all go feral!!! ;)

I still think a small Newf is better than no Newf at all!! ;D

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2006, 12:10:24 pm »
NO WAY!!!  Chester maybe be a tiny Newf (at about 107 pounds) but he still wouldn't fit in my purse, so all is good!  I'll 'help' you with your puppy, though.  Tell me when you get him/her and I'll come with a gigantic suitcase to steal him/her, um, no, not really;  just to bring lots of prezzies ;D ;D ;D

...and run away really really fast! ;)

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2006, 05:47:20 pm »
That's exactly what I think too!!  Thanks, Tina!  They are ALL champions in our eyes!!!

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2006, 06:22:05 pm »
Aw, thanks...and I know you are perfect cuz that's all we have on BPO!! ;)

He does have a huge heart; and a tail that's carried too high so he always looks happy and involved and I adore him for it!  I just hate backing out of a promise but I also hate the thought of him having to balance on 'happy feet'!  I just don't think that's what he's meant for!! ;)

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2006, 12:46:58 am »
He may not be as small as you think!!  The giant breeds grow until they are about 4  Although most of their height is obtained by 2 years old, they will keep adding body mass for another couple of years or so.  My stud dog (Pyr) was only 85 lbs at 18 months  At 5 he is 125 pounds and is NOT fat.  Between 3 and 4 he put on 25 pounds!  He also grew almost 2 inches taller between 2 and 4.