Author Topic: Ahhhhh Not again. Booty Blowout!  (Read 3153 times)

Lyn

Ahhhhh Not again. Booty Blowout!
« on: August 05, 2006, 11:33:50 am »
Yup.. another poopy post. :D

Starting this afternoon Bubba has severe diarrhea. It looks to have a tiny specks of blood in it and it's an odd orange color. When he poops it like someone turned on a tap, litterally. Not good. :(

So I called my vet and he recommended a bland diet of hamburger and oatmeal starting tomorrow, and no dinner for tonight. If anything changes over the weekend I'm to call emergency him and bring Bubba in. Blood=vet visit right?! I just figured I'd need to bring him in immediately. Although usually he does a stool sample, finds nothing and gives me Metrodonize(sp) and send me on my merry way. I do trust my vet.. and we have been through this before so maybe I'm just over-reacting?

He's not lethargic, he's running around with Lola as I type and he's drinking normally. He's not too happy that he's missed dinner either. :D

I looks like the California Natural is a NO go. I don't know if I even want to attempt to put him back on it. :-\ Although I could make a much slower switch this time. That food is much more calorie dense than the Eagle Pack. Maybe it's just too rich for him. ???

I decided to go and look for slippery elm and the store was out, go figure. I have to wait until they get their shipment in. ::) But I did find that yogurt culture stuff, it begins with an L. I don't have the bottle down here. LOL It's suppose to help with the 'good bacteria' in the digestive tract. Anyone know if that will help in the meantime?

doggylover

Re: Ahhhhh Not again. Booty Blowout!
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2006, 11:37:23 am »
Pumpkin can also help.  I'm sorry you are going through this. 
Give him a big kiss from me.
:)

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2006, 01:08:12 pm »
Dannon plain yogurt also has the ""good" bacteria and the dogs seem to really like it. You could also mix it in his bland diet. My vet had told me about this when we went thru a parvo episode (the pup had been receiving her vaccines but had not had time to build the necessary immunity) Good luck getting thru the weekend

Lyn

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2006, 03:09:38 am »
Yogurt is a huge no no for Bubba. It makes his diarrhea worse. Why I don't know.. but that's why I bought the pills instead. I got the name finally.. Lactobacillus Acidophilus & Bifidus. It says over 2 million active bacteria. I gave him 3 last night and Lola 2. I opened the caplets and sprinkled it over their hamburger/oatmeal.

As of this morning Bubba's poop is firm! YAY! Yes I'm happy about poop. :D I don't know if it was the probotics or the bland diet or both but thank god he's back to normal.

I'm going to keep them both on the hamburger/oatmeal for as long as possible. I have no idea what I'm going to do about kibble for Bubba yet.  :-\

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2006, 03:23:52 am »
I keep the Lactobacillus Acidophilus on hand for Sugar Bear.
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2006, 03:36:57 am »
Poor Bubba. I'm so sorry! Please give him lots of kisses and hugs for us.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2006, 06:40:38 am »
Poor Bubba  :-\
RIP former BPO