Author Topic: Home Cooked Diets.  (Read 2616 times)

Lyn

Home Cooked Diets.
« on: August 06, 2006, 03:25:21 am »
I know there are a few of you that home cook for your dogs. Cowboy comes to mine. ;)

After Bubba's booty blowout my hubby mentioned maybe feeding Bubba a home cooked diet. He firmed up right away eating hamburger/oatmeal, but I know he can't eat that forever. I just don't know where to start. How do you ensure that it's nutritionally complete?

Anyone have any links? Or could share some recipes with me?

Lyn

Re: Home Cooked Diets.
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2006, 04:23:48 am »
Bump for Newflvr..  ;)

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2006, 05:12:13 am »
Opps!  Sorry, didn't know that was directed at me! 

Yes, guilty as charged!  I cook for both Newfs and they seem to do very well!  Look at www.cocoscuisi ne.com .  It's a rice mix that you just add a pound of meat to and it makes about 7 cups of food. You can order it on-line and it's very reasonable in price (about $8 for two bags which is about 15 cups of food) and we get it delivered by the case.

I get the meat either from the grocery store (on sale) or through a raw food store nearby.  We change proteins with each batch, and I add whatever leftover veg we have, and cook an egg in the mix occasionally.  It's really pretty easy and they seem to be thriving on it.  The only thing I add is a calcium suppliment and also probiotics and enyzmes to aid in digestion. If you have any further questions, let me know!!

Booty blow-outs are NOOOO fun  :P

Lyn

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2006, 12:58:05 pm »
Thanks Newflvr, That page doesn't seem to want to load for me. I installed the new IE7 beta so that's probably why. Microsoft crap. :(

I was hoping to just prepare it all myself and freeze it into portions. Thaw, add supplements and serve. I did find some recipes and they are basically what you mentioned, meat, veggies, rice and to rotate different veggies and meat weekly. So it looks like I'm on the right track.

How much does Cowboy and Chester get per meal?

I just realized that I typed Cowboy comes to MINE instead of mind.. it seems I spilled my doggynapping plan. LOL

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2006, 01:33:00 pm »
They get about two cups of the rice/meat mix with a tablespoon of calcium  (which is constipating.. .good for avoiding a blowout!!) and 1/2 of probiotics and enzymes twice a day.

Ha!  I'm glad you blew your cover on dognapping Cowboy.  He's good;  Chester, however, is available after his head butt today!! :D :D :D