Author Topic: Spay Coat - How to deal with it  (Read 17707 times)

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
Spay Coat - How to deal with it
« on: August 10, 2006, 05:14:34 am »
After Sophies Spay her coat looks horrible, really dry.  Anyone have any tips for making her hair nice and soft and shiny again?  Any good products out there for this?
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Offline lshelley21

• Big Paw Certified
  • Jazmine 7 months old
    • View Profile
Re: Spay Coat - How to deal with it
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 05:34:44 am »
i hope you don't mind me posting here... but if you use oils in addition to her/his food that helps greatly.  I use salmon oil (grizzly), flaxseed oil, olive oil.... alternate them. In the process of making the food, the oils are cooked out of the food or they are greatly reduced.  Also you can give Vitamin E or D... i forget which on i give...i think E that will help with the skin...althoug h these are fat soluable...but you can get water soluable too. I have the water soluable, no chance of OD that way!!! ::)
Lauren, Jazmine (great dane)
Jazmine's pets:
Calvin (ferret)
Willy (ferret)
Samantha (ferret)
Baxter (ferret)
Ferrets friends:
Shirly and baldamore (geckos)
Gecko's friend:
Big D (fish)

Oh yeah.. my pet.. Matt (hubby)
Our pets are all above

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2006, 05:39:05 am »
I don't mind you posting here at all.  I'm looking for tips :)

Everybody gets 2000mg of salmon oil a day, including me :)  You would think that would help, but it hasn't seemed to make any difference with her coat.

I'll have to try the E also.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2006, 05:40:01 am by brandon »
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Offline lshelley21

• Big Paw Certified
  • Jazmine 7 months old
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2006, 05:42:14 am »
are you giving pill form or liquid? and do you alternate them? you could also give a lamb and rice food...that is for skin and coat. Although no dog should ever stay on that perminantly because it does not support the dogs heart

I give Jaz...2 tablespoons of any of the oils 2x a day... liquid that is. I am sure the capsules work too... but Jaz loves the taste of the oils.  Bath only rarely, and when you do use an oatmeal or milk based shampoo
Jazmine's pets:
Calvin (ferret)
Willy (ferret)
Samantha (ferret)
Baxter (ferret)
Ferrets friends:
Gecko's friend:
Big D (fish)

Our pets are all above

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2006, 06:08:28 am »
We are giving them the capsules, I was giving flaxseed oil a while back , but have ran out of it.  I throw a little olive oil on the food occasionally, but it is very rare for me to do that. 

Offline lshelley21

• Big Paw Certified
  • Jazmine 7 months old
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2006, 06:12:26 am »
try giving more than 2000... i know animals do occationally need more oils than we do. Try giving the liquid form, I looked into the capsules for Jazmine and it said that for the oils to give 6 caps, 2x a day for flaxseed oil.  I can find the website that goes with all the oils if you would like.
Jazmine's pets:
Calvin (ferret)
Willy (ferret)
Samantha (ferret)
Baxter (ferret)
Ferrets friends:
Gecko's friend:
Big D (fish)

Our pets are all above

Offline lshelley21

• Big Paw Certified
  • Jazmine 7 months old
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2006, 06:15:27 am »
http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/products/Grizzly-Salmon-Oil-for-Dogs/117001.aspx     that is for the salmon oil... per one little pump gives out 1800 mg of EFA... the recommend 4-8 pumps (depending on size) so perhaps you need to up the amount you are giving them.
Jazmine's pets:
Calvin (ferret)
Willy (ferret)
Samantha (ferret)
Baxter (ferret)
Ferrets friends:
Gecko's friend:
Big D (fish)

Our pets are all above

Offline lshelley21

• Big Paw Certified
  • Jazmine 7 months old
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2006, 06:20:58 am »
http://www.seapet.com/    if you google oils, i think that is all you are going to need, just because there is a hormonal change...or perhaps it is her food?? If it is high quality like solid gold, flint river, ext... there shouldn't be a problem, also she could be getting her adult coat in.
Jazmine's pets:
Calvin (ferret)
Willy (ferret)
Samantha (ferret)
Baxter (ferret)
Ferrets friends:
Gecko's friend:
Big D (fish)

Our pets are all above

Offline lshelley21

• Big Paw Certified
  • Jazmine 7 months old
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2006, 06:23:50 am »
hey sorry one more.... newfie, website on skin problems...  http://www.newfdogclub.org/Main_Sub_Pages/ws03_takiangcarenewf_main.htm
Jazmine's pets:
Calvin (ferret)
Willy (ferret)
Samantha (ferret)
Baxter (ferret)
Ferrets friends:
Gecko's friend:
Big D (fish)

Our pets are all above

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2006, 02:05:36 pm »
I put vegetable oil on my girls' food every night. They have pretty fur. I wouldn't say it's fabulous or anything, but it is soft and healthy looking. No idea if that's from the oil or not, but you could try it.
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2006, 02:14:25 pm »
Her crappy coat is from her recently being spayed.  From what I understand on the newf females, they get really dry and hard to manage after they are spayed.  They all get a good quality food and suplements everyday.  We feed Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul, they get salmon oil and glucosamine tablets, they were getting flax oil, but haven't bought anymore recently as I said.  I am going to start adding that again.

I was looking for something more in the way of a conditioner, from what I understand on the female newfs (maybe landseer specific, not sure) they will never have the kind of coat they had before they were spayed.  Before her spay she had really shiny soft fur, and now it is more dried out.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2006, 02:15:06 pm by brandon »

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2006, 03:09:36 pm »
I suppose it could change forever, but it is possible that it may go back to being the way it was. Is it also possible that she has just lost her puppy coat? Meaning that baby soft fur is simply being replaced with thick, water-proof Newf fur instead? Don't know how old she is exactly, but Zoey's baby fur all went away at about 7-8 months old. I miss it!
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

Offline sarnewfie

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • HarborWinds Newfoundlands and Stain Glass
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2006, 12:34:00 am »
Spay coat happens normally 12-18 months after spaying.
for shiny, try raw diet, some do have nicer coats but it is still crap LOL
a mars coat king works, as well tunnel out the underneath with a 7F blade all the way back, keeping privates clipped out to, i also trim down the pantiloons, or the feathers on the butt cheeks and they get bathed more often and blown off with high velocity dryer more often, my girls even spayed, on wysong have decent shine to their coats.
Photography by Christine
http://harborwinds.fototime.com/PHOTOS FOR ORDERS

HarborWinds Newfoundlands&Search and Rescue
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Haven/4505

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2006, 01:17:29 am »
Hrm.. well it is definetly not the spay then since that was prob only 2 months ago, and this is only in the last 2 weeks.  I think I might know what did it.  We had a flea outbreak here from all the rain we are getting,  and I used some Adams flea powder.  Not something I liked to do or would normally use, but it wasn't time for their frontline and we were desparate.  I don't believe she has had a bath since then. She's going swimming tommorrow, so she will get washed and conditioned, and I'll see if her hair stays nice and soft or goes dry and coarse again.

Offline sarnewfie

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • HarborWinds Newfoundlands and Stain Glass
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2006, 03:05:06 am »
Fleas and chemicals can wreck havoc with coat, though dont think itt was not the spay to, some have been known to get the spay coat sooner, that was just a baseline.
i have seen some get the start of the ick yak coat within two months or three months of spaying.
it is not unusual, some take longer.
Photography by Christine
http://harborwinds.fototime.com/PHOTOS FOR ORDERS

HarborWinds Newfoundlands&Search and Rescue
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Haven/4505