Author Topic: Great danes shed a lot  (Read 7947 times)

Offline lshelley21

• Big Paw Certified
  • Jazmine 7 months old
    • View Profile
Great danes shed a lot
« on: August 10, 2006, 06:38:36 am »
My little big girl jaz sheds a ton, but since we purchased the furminatorl... holy cow this this is awsome!! All breeds (except the hair breeds) should try this thing. Awsome awsome... i thought it was a gimick but it really isnt....althou gh be careful, i gave jaz a brush burn, so go slow and soft. It takes all the little hairs out
Lauren, Jazmine (great dane)
Jazmine's pets:
Calvin (ferret)
Willy (ferret)
Samantha (ferret)
Baxter (ferret)
Ferrets friends:
Shirly and baldamore (geckos)
Gecko's friend:
Big D (fish)

Oh yeah.. my pet.. Matt (hubby)
Our pets are all above

Offline Boobearsmom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: Great danes shed a lot
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 08:40:58 am »
Maybe its just us with the white Danes!!  I use the Zoom Groom on Boo.  Its rubber so it doesn't hurt, and she just stands there in a daze while I do it.  I think its almost like a mini-massage for her.  The hair goes flying too ;D  I end up with piles of hair bunnies in the grass outside. 

Offline lshelley21

• Big Paw Certified
  • Jazmine 7 months old
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2006, 08:50:26 am »
No joke, i am amazed at how it took all the undercoat away, even though they are single layered... I used the same brush....zoom groom.... but i was doing it everyday and nothing seemed to stop the shedding...but now .... ahhh... i can wear black again..and guess what.. it is really black not white afterall..lol.
Jazmine's pets:
Calvin (ferret)
Willy (ferret)
Samantha (ferret)
Baxter (ferret)
Ferrets friends:
Gecko's friend:
Big D (fish)

Our pets are all above

Offline Boobearsmom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2006, 08:57:22 am »
No joke, i am amazed at how it took all the undercoat away, even though they are single layered... I used the same brush....zoom groom.... but i was doing it everyday and nothing seemed to stop the shedding...but now .... ahhh... i can wear black again..and guess what.. it is really black not white afterall..lol.

Black?  What's that  ???  Oh yeah, that's right.  Black is the mud she tracks all over the kitchen floor!  We try and avoid black in our house at all costs.  Still doesn't work.......we have a bulldog mix too.  She's white also.  You'd think we would have learned our lesson  ;)

Offline mtaig12

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2006, 08:58:51 am »
 ;D Too funny! I think it's all in your perspective (as I'm sure the pyr/saint owners can attest). I think Star (great dane) sheds very little, but I'm comparing her to Max our chow/Akita mix.  He never "blows his coat" seasonally, instead he sheds his undercoat every stinkin' day of the year! I've used my furminator on him, but only use a soft brush on Star.

Then again, both my dogs are black, so when it's on the carpet/furniture/clothing, it's hard to know who to blame! I need to redecorate and make an all-black interior!

Tracy
« Last Edit: August 10, 2006, 08:59:39 am by mtaig12 »
Tracy and Mike - parents
Alex and Ian - kids
Max and Star - canines
Oscar and Emily - felines
Nibbles - hamster
North Carolina

Offline lshelley21

• Big Paw Certified
  • Jazmine 7 months old
    • View Profile
Re: Great danes shed a lot... hey BOOBEAR
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2006, 09:03:15 am »
boo...jaz is deaf too...she knows some asl i found a great book for you on deaf dogs if you would like. 
Jazmine's pets:
Calvin (ferret)
Willy (ferret)
Samantha (ferret)
Baxter (ferret)
Ferrets friends:
Gecko's friend:
Big D (fish)

Our pets are all above

Offline Boobearsmom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: Great danes shed a lot... hey BOOBEAR
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2006, 09:09:56 am »
boo...jaz is deaf too...she knows some asl i found a great book for you on deaf dogs if you would like. 

What book is it?  When we first got her, her breeder was great and sent us links to different deaf dog/deaf person sites.  Then we found an amazing trainer (actually two) at Petsmart who were more than willing to work with a deaf dog.  We use a combo of ASL, training hand commands and some made up stuff just for her!  My daughter had cheerleading the other night so we brought Boo to walk on the track and do training.  It was the best feeling when someone came up and said "You have the biggest dog here, and yet, she's the best behaved, best trained dog."  Thank god they didn't see her rampaging thru the house! :o  What do you use as Jazzy's "no" sign?

Offline lshelley21

• Big Paw Certified
  • Jazmine 7 months old
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2006, 09:21:34 am »
shaking index finger side to side or if something big then four fingers together and thumb...like a mouth with your fingers and open and close over her nose. Shaking the finger is a little too harsh for her... she puts her ears flat on her head and gives that OH PLEASE DONT BE MAD look  the book is called living with a deaf dog .... best book...it shows 60 different handsignals, with all types of behaviors linked to them.
Jazmine's pets:
Calvin (ferret)
Willy (ferret)
Samantha (ferret)
Baxter (ferret)
Ferrets friends:
Gecko's friend:
Big D (fish)

Our pets are all above

Offline Boobearsmom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2006, 09:24:57 am »
shaking index finger side to side or if something big then four fingers together and thumb...like a mouth with your fingers and open and close over her nose. Shaking the finger is a little too harsh for her... she puts her ears flat on her head and gives that OH PLEASE DONT BE MAD look  the book is called living with a deaf dog .... best book...it shows 60 different handsignals, with all types of behaviors linked to them.

Then she shouldn't meet Boo then!  Boo thinks the "no" sign is an oppotunity to talk back to mom and tell her what she thinks about that "no"!  I'd like to see that book though.  You said that Jaz was brain damaged.  How did they determine that?

Offline lshelley21

• Big Paw Certified
  • Jazmine 7 months old
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2006, 09:30:16 am »
The vet said she is... although i don't really think so.... she is night blind though.  When shaking the finger.... Jaz when in the mood will talk back to me and laugh at me.... her top lip goes up and she bounces around the room like a rabbit...then looks at me and whoooo wooooo's at me...
Jazmine's pets:
Calvin (ferret)
Willy (ferret)
Samantha (ferret)
Baxter (ferret)
Ferrets friends:
Gecko's friend:
Big D (fish)

Our pets are all above

Offline Boobearsmom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2006, 09:37:35 am »
She is just gorgeous!  And she sounds like a character just like Boo.  Ok, Natick is only like 2 hours from us.  We should get together some time.  They sound like two peas in a pod.;D  And I wonder if the brain damage was just a result of the vet not knowing what to do with a deaf dog. 

Offline lshelley21

• Big Paw Certified
  • Jazmine 7 months old
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2006, 09:41:34 am »
that would be great to get together!!!!! Her best play bud just moved to FL.  I think the vet thought brain damage because one of her pupils is set lower in the iris then the other...so when you look at her, you don't really know if she is looking at you..lol. BUt it sounds worse than it actually is.  She also has tiny eyeballs...mic rooptica (Spelling)
Jazmine's pets:
Calvin (ferret)
Willy (ferret)
Samantha (ferret)
Baxter (ferret)
Ferrets friends:
Gecko's friend:
Big D (fish)

Our pets are all above

Offline lshelley21

• Big Paw Certified
  • Jazmine 7 months old
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2006, 09:42:33 am »
i can't tell you how excited i am to have found you... another person with a deaf dane...!!!! 
Jazmine's pets:
Calvin (ferret)
Willy (ferret)
Samantha (ferret)
Baxter (ferret)
Ferrets friends:
Gecko's friend:
Big D (fish)

Our pets are all above

Offline Boobearsmom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2006, 09:52:00 am »
I know of one other deaf dane on here.  His name is Tenchi and he's just beautiful too.  There is something about the dignity of a giant dog who can't hear but still carries themselves as if they have no problems at all.  Boo would be thrilled with another dane her size!  She gets a little too rambunctious with our bulldog mix.  Yay!!  And Boo's eyes go screwy sometimes too.  One pupil gets bigger and the other stays the same.  The vet never seemed worried about it.  Tell Jazzy Boo can't wait to meet her!!!!  Yeah I know, even though Boo is deaf, I still totally talk to her all the time!

Offline lshelley21

• Big Paw Certified
  • Jazmine 7 months old
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2006, 09:53:04 am »
well i am at work now, i would love to talk to you more though.  I work from 8-5 here in Concord MA. So i hopefully will talk to you later!!! Lshelley21@aol.com   email me anytime!!!!! (Maybe we can set up a playdate? I don't mind  travel, and Jazmine is great in the car!!)
Jazmine's pets:
Calvin (ferret)
Willy (ferret)
Samantha (ferret)
Baxter (ferret)
Ferrets friends:
Gecko's friend:
Big D (fish)

Our pets are all above