Author Topic: Great dane help  (Read 3244 times)

Offline lshelley21

• Big Paw Certified
  • Jazmine 7 months old
    • View Profile
Great dane help
« on: August 11, 2006, 04:33:12 am »
My jaz gets SSSSOOOOOOO excited when she sees a little dog. She gets the zoomies, and wants to play soooo bad with the little ones (5-20lbs). I know she would not mean any harm but at 105lb. and puppy i know it would happen.  She uses her front paws to Thwap (bops them on the head with her paw). I don't want to tell her no...(and if i did in that situation she would woooo woooo and whine at me) but does any other big paw experience this?
Lauren, Jazmine (great dane)
Jazmine's pets:
Calvin (ferret)
Willy (ferret)
Samantha (ferret)
Baxter (ferret)
Ferrets friends:
Shirly and baldamore (geckos)
Gecko's friend:
Big D (fish)

Oh yeah.. my pet.. Matt (hubby)
Our pets are all above

GR8DAME

Re: Great dane help
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2006, 05:05:55 am »
Strider, my terrorist dog is constantly batting things around with his manhole cover feet. We have been telling him "No Feet!" and grabbing a paw and giving it a slight squeeze. Once they make the connection just "no feet" works pretty well. Of course the sight of him rolling Dale's Aunt's 6 month old peke-a-poo with his nose across the floor like a furry bowling ball may mean that we have a bit more work to do. LOL  ::)
Stella

Offline lshelley21

• Big Paw Certified
  • Jazmine 7 months old
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2006, 06:46:51 am »
the thing is she is deaf...and if she isnt looking at you ... you can not tell her what to do.
Jazmine's pets:
Calvin (ferret)
Willy (ferret)
Samantha (ferret)
Baxter (ferret)
Ferrets friends:
Gecko's friend:
Big D (fish)

Our pets are all above

Offline Boobearsmom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2006, 07:17:46 am »
the thing is she is deaf...and if she isnt looking at you ... you can not tell her what to do.

Boo doesn't bop them on the head, she just goes into play bow and then starts jumping around.  That's a little too much since she's probably up to 125lbs now.  I've tried a "settle down" command, but it doesn't work with her.  When she gets too full of it with our other dog, we've been putting her in her cage.  I had a problem like this with Boo recently and our other dog.  But I'm sure Jazzy is like Boo and turns her head so she doesn't have to "pay attention".  Have you tried a command for "easy?"

Offline lshelley21

• Big Paw Certified
  • Jazmine 7 months old
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2006, 07:29:05 am »
you are sooo right. Awsome i will definitly try that out. She is a super fast learner, generally after the third time she will or will not do it again, depending on the behavior asked or not asked for. I will try that tonight!!!
Jazmine's pets:
Calvin (ferret)
Willy (ferret)
Samantha (ferret)
Baxter (ferret)
Ferrets friends:
Gecko's friend:
Big D (fish)

Our pets are all above

Offline Emmes Mom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2006, 10:26:19 am »
It took a while for me to find a "friend" for Emmee, but when I did...LOOK OUT...It's hard to find a playmate for danes...LOL... Have you tried to find a local doggie park??