Author Topic: could it be hip issues? or should i add more to diet?  (Read 4282 times)

Offline lshelley21

• Big Paw Certified
  • Jazmine 7 months old
    • View Profile
could it be hip issues? or should i add more to diet?
« on: August 14, 2006, 06:05:14 am »
For the last few weeks i have noticed that it is taking jaz longer and longer to get up from a down position. Once she is up there is no problems at all. She does get glucos. from Nupro but should i give her more? It just seems like getting up from a down is an issue for her. Also when she sleeps on a hard surface such as the bottom of her crate, she seems extremely stiff. Is there anything i can do for her? she is 9 mos. old. The only thing different in the last 1-2 months is swimming. And when she does swim it is only for 15-20 min, maybe 2x. This is only once a week on sundays.  She does not jump in the pool i carry her in. Any suggestions? Anything else i should add to her food?   Nutritional wise:
solid gold- mmillenia, wolf king (2 cups 2x day)
prairie - raw instinct (.5-1 cup 2x day)
solid gold canned food
nupro joint
seameal plus
prozyme
dentatreat - wysong
flaxseed oil/salmon oil/olive oil/veggie oil <--alternate..
she weighs 105lbs, 31 inches tall. I just want to be prepared if it is the worst. She just seems stiff, but can i do anything more for her?
Lauren, Jazmine (great dane)
Jazmine's pets:
Calvin (ferret)
Willy (ferret)
Samantha (ferret)
Baxter (ferret)
Ferrets friends:
Shirly and baldamore (geckos)
Gecko's friend:
Big D (fish)

Oh yeah.. my pet.. Matt (hubby)
Our pets are all above

Offline lshelley21

• Big Paw Certified
  • Jazmine 7 months old
    • View Profile
Re: could it be hip issues? or should i add more to diet?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 06:37:24 am »
she is only getting 4 cups a day and 1/2 can a day.... she has gained only 15 lbs in 2 months. Nupro is a suppliment. She is skinny, actually underweight. You are right though it could be a growth spurt....latel y she has not been eating, and it is evedent on her body... can see all ribs.  I added a pad before and she poops on it...y? i don't know, with out one she is fine. I will try your suggestions though. thank you
Jazmine's pets:
Calvin (ferret)
Willy (ferret)
Samantha (ferret)
Baxter (ferret)
Ferrets friends:
Gecko's friend:
Big D (fish)

Our pets are all above

Offline lshelley21

• Big Paw Certified
  • Jazmine 7 months old
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 06:57:59 am »
no other suggestions? OK thanks anyway
Jazmine's pets:
Calvin (ferret)
Willy (ferret)
Samantha (ferret)
Baxter (ferret)
Ferrets friends:
Gecko's friend:
Big D (fish)

Our pets are all above

Offline tanimara

• Big Paw Certified
  • Tanimara's Spirit Warrior "Warrior"
    • View Profile
    • Tanimara Great Pyrenees
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006, 07:13:42 am »
I raise Great Pyrenees so there may be a difference but common sense dictates it would be the same.  These huge dogs just plain grow too fast.  When they are puppies and growing at an inch a day... they develop pano or growin pains as has been said in the previous post.  The cure for that is to cut back on protein during this time.  That way it slows down their growth rate and consequently the pain.  After she reaches her full heighth then you dont have to worry about too much protein then.  Also with Pyrs I put them on 500 CC of Ester C a day for a week, increase it to 1000 mg per day from then on unless they develope diarreah in which case just cut it back and leave them on it until they reach full heighth.  The Glucosamine in the diet is most likely sufficient without adding more of that.

Hope this helps...
Jackie
Jackie Wood
Owner/Breeder Tanimara Great Pyrenees

"A people without a history is like wind on the buffalo grass"
Crazy Horse - Oglala Sioux

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2006, 07:21:17 am »
What other ingredients are in the glucosamine supplement?  I'll have to look when I get home and see if I still have the info on what I had Navarre on.  The vet told me to look for a few other ingredients in the supplement.  When I changed him to one of those the difference was very evident after a couple of weeks.  Also it takes the glucosamine awhile to build up in the system, that's why at first the directions tell you to give a lot of pills at the beginning.

I know you've been very careful about how much protein etc she's taking in, and this might be a muscle issue, just being sore.  Navarre used to get lame from time to time when he was growing, it would last a little while and then he would be fine.  What has your vet said about how much to feed her?  If she's not eating, I would watch that more than anything, but she may just being finicky, or if it's been un-Godly hot where you are, that may be why she's not eating too.  She's a rescue right?  Any idea on her past?  I know she's young, and it might just take awhile for her body to catch up on any mal nourishment she endured before.  I'll look for that info when I get home.
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2006, 08:39:52 am »
I believe the food she is feeding is 21-22% protein, so it's not very high. (Had to look it up) :)
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Offline lshelley21

• Big Paw Certified
  • Jazmine 7 months old
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2006, 08:59:41 am »
u are telling me that 2 cups in the am and 2 in the pm are too much for a girl who is 31 inches and 105????
Jazmine's pets:
Calvin (ferret)
Willy (ferret)
Samantha (ferret)
Baxter (ferret)
Ferrets friends:
Gecko's friend:
Big D (fish)

Our pets are all above

Offline lshelley21

• Big Paw Certified
  • Jazmine 7 months old
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2006, 09:02:09 am »
she is left out of the crate at night...she chooses to go in it... i only put her in the crate when she absolutly has to be...she likes her crate but i am working and my hubby works too...so she is out of the crate 90-99% of the time. But it happens even when there is a mat on the bottom...or when she is sleeping on my bed...or where ever... not just hard surfaces
Jazmine's pets:
Calvin (ferret)
Willy (ferret)
Samantha (ferret)
Baxter (ferret)
Ferrets friends:
Gecko's friend:
Big D (fish)

Our pets are all above