Author Topic: DEMON DOG--update  (Read 9900 times)

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
DEMON DOG--update
« on: August 17, 2006, 09:38:38 am »
My campaign to keep the drunk from working at night has had an even BETTER result for my sweet Demon Dog! Whose real name turns out to be Roxie, by the way.

The guy who’s closing now came over to talk at the fence Tuesday night when my she came running over to the gate to have her scratches. 

Mind you, she didn’t just come over and poke her nose thru.  She had been watching over the wall, as she likes to do, and when the bus pulled up to the stop, she let out a big “OOOFFF!!” and jumped down. Apparently, her run gate was already open for the night, because as I came around the corner to the gate, she was already over there--not just her nose poking thru, but one paw out waving at me too, so I didn’t miss her! Of course, I shook her paw and told her “GOOD WAVE! Such a good wave!” and scratched her chin and her chest thru the fence.  (I LOVE this dog. I wish I could take her home and spoil her. I hate landlords.)

So I’m scratching her chin and telling her good sit, good quiet, and she’s just drooling happily everywhere when this guy comes over and said in his very broken English, “I want to tell you thanks for making the trouble about Roxie. When the nephew came, I lost the shift, and I worried something bad would happen. I want to tell you that my wife was here and sees her coming to you and being so friendly at the fence that she’s going to let my kids come play with her while I do the cleaning now. If my wife didn’t see her being so nice to you, she would never let my kids come while I close. So thank you, and from my boys too, because they love Roxie very much and are really excited to play with her every night.”

So last night, sure enough…SHE HAD KIDS TO PLAY WITH!! They were playing soccer all over the lot.  I could her her barking play-barks as I got off the bus and thought she probably would be having so much fun she wouldn’t even notice me walk past. She must have been listening for the bus, though—-because there she was at the gate, waving her paw for her scratch! 

The boys are really sweet—one’s about 12 or 13 and one’s about 8 or 9—and they came over while she was having her scratch and said thanks, too, and maybe soon their mother will come to play with her.

Kids to play with AND a job to do.  How good is that!?!  ;D  ;D  ;D
Sheryl, Dogless and sad

EllieAndBlu

Re: DEMON DOG--update
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 09:46:56 am »
That is awesome news! Youre compassion for Rozie is heartwarming.. . and now she has kids to play with too! I applaud you!

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2006, 10:24:11 am »
OMG! You rock, You made a heck of a difference for that one dog.  You did real good.
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Offline nohesnotahorse

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2006, 10:26:22 am »
That was an awesome thing you did!!!

(edited because I can't type!)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2006, 10:27:02 am by nohesnotahorse »
Tom, Overwhelmed, Overrun and Overruled by Feste, Chance and Puck!
'Aide toi et Dieu t'aidera.' (God helps those who help themselves.)
'Fortes fortuna juvat.' (Fortune favors the brave.)

Offline horsepoor21

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2006, 11:19:04 am »
I agree , what you did for Roxie is awesome ! Good for you !
-Amy
Moose-Border Collie/Newfoundland rescue
Allie-Newfoundland
Spook-Newfoundland
Whiskey-Arabian
Wolverine-Cockatiel
Polly&Rainbow-Lovebirds (with 3 babies!)
Crush-Painted Turtle

"Every boy should have two things:
 A dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2006, 12:19:32 pm »
You are fantastic!!  Did you get warm fuzzies????  Because I think you definitely should have!!  Good job!!
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2006, 12:25:08 pm »
No, I get hot rottie slobber.  ;D  ;D  ;D
Sheryl, Dogless and sad

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2006, 01:40:46 pm »
that's so great!  Everything has really worked out for the best for Roxie.  I can't imagine that she's ever been happier than she is now.

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2006, 02:02:02 pm »
That's great :)
RIP former BPO

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2006, 02:03:45 pm »
That is SUCH awesome news!  You are the very best!  Hugs and slobbers not only from Roxie but the Newfs and me too!  (okay, I won't slobber!!! ;))

I LOVE THIS STORY!!!  YOU SAVED A DOG!!!  YOU MADE A DIFFERENCE! :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2006, 02:22:41 pm »
Yea you!  You not only made things better for Roxie but you also made things better for the night guy that originally had the job and his kids.  That's so awesome!
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

cricket36580

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2006, 02:49:43 pm »
Big hugs for you!  How wonderful to know that you made a difference!

Offline Softhug

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2006, 04:56:55 am »
That is such great news!  Not only did you touch a dogs life, but an entire family!  That is so wonderful!  Yay for you and them too!
Jacquie-Undercover Princess
Tsu Ling-Chow Chow-RIP 5/08
Boudreaux-American Mastiff
Griffey-Pi55y, fat, yellow cat
Comrade-red/white Siberian Husky
"Lots of people talk to animals," said Pooh.
"Not that many listen though."
"That's the problem."

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2006, 02:31:21 am »
My campaign to keep the drunk from working at night has had an even BETTER result for my sweet Demon Dog! Whose real name turns out to be Roxie, by the way.

The guy who’s closing now came over to talk at the fence Tuesday night when my she came running over to the gate to have her scratches. 

Mind you, she didn’t just come over and poke her nose thru.  She had been watching over the wall, as she likes to do, and when the bus pulled up to the stop, she let out a big “OOOFFF!!” and jumped down. Apparently, her run gate was already open for the night, because as I came around the corner to the gate, she was already over there--not just her nose poking thru, but one paw out waving at me too, so I didn’t miss her! Of course, I shook her paw and told her “GOOD WAVE! Such a good wave!” and scratched her chin and her chest thru the fence.  (I LOVE this dog. I wish I could take her home and spoil her. I hate landlords.)

So I’m scratching her chin and telling her good sit, good quiet, and she’s just drooling happily everywhere when this guy comes over and said in his very broken English, “I want to tell you thanks for making the trouble about Roxie. When the nephew came, I lost the shift, and I worried something bad would happen. I want to tell you that my wife was here and sees her coming to you and being so friendly at the fence that she’s going to let my kids come play with her while I do the cleaning now. If my wife didn’t see her being so nice to you, she would never let my kids come while I close. So thank you, and from my boys too, because they love Roxie very much and are really excited to play with her every night.”

So last night, sure enough…SHE HAD KIDS TO PLAY WITH!! They were playing soccer all over the lot.  I could her her barking play-barks as I got off the bus and thought she probably would be having so much fun she wouldn’t even notice me walk past. She must have been listening for the bus, though—-because there she was at the gate, waving her paw for her scratch! 

The boys are really sweet—one’s about 12 or 13 and one’s about 8 or 9—and they came over while she was having her scratch and said thanks, too, and maybe soon their mother will come to play with her.

Kids to play with AND a job to do.  How good is that!?!  ;D  ;D  ;D

I'd already read that post & thought I replied but I guess not...sorry... because that is beyond awesome!!...Yay for you & yay for Demon Dog!!...HAPPY HAPPY!!! ;D ;D

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2006, 07:28:56 am »
She's just the FUNNIEST thing. She had another incident.

Last night as I got off the bus, there was cop car parked at the gate again, a wrecked bike and a really angry guy yelling at the cop. (:o NOT!)

He had ridden too close to her gate, clearly; she barked him right off his bike. ;D  ;D  So he's got the cop over there, yelling about how she's a dangerous menace, yada, yada.  My Demon-Roxie is just sitting there at the far end of the barred gate, keeping an eye on them both--until I walked up to the gate. 

She immediately broke her stare, came loping down, and waved her paw at me. So of course, I stopped, I shook her paw, and told her good wave, good girl, and scratched her chin and her chest and just generally made a bit of a scene.

The cop walks over, standing back. "Is this your dog?"

She's slobbering all over my hands and just wiggling. "No, but she knows me. She's a very good girl." Rubbing her eyebrows, with my whole arms right over the top of her gaping wide open jaws. "She doesn't bark at everyone, you know. She only barks at people she doesn't know who get too close to her gate. Come stand by me and see."

So the cop walked within a couple steps of me, and sure enough, she stepped back from my hand (almost like she was saying 'excuse me, I have to work for a minute.') She stepped over directly in front of him, put her head down and glared at him right in the eye and went GA-ROWF!! at him, quite emphatically. (Not only was he too close to her gate, he was interfering with her scratch!) The cop stepped right next to the fence, and she did her 'wild attack' display, jumping up and putting her paws on the bars and just sounding like 700 devils.

I'm standing there about 3 feet away, just watching her. The cop looks at me and says, "Is this all she does? Jumps up on the fence and raises h*ll?"

"Yes. You know, if you step back from the gate, she'll stop--probably she'll come right back to me. She just doesn't let strangers get close to the gates." 

So the cop stepped back a couple steps. "You've seen her do this a lot?"

"She's been doing it for about 3 years now." Sure enough, as soon as he was far enough from her gate, she came right back over to me, and put her chin up, just smiling. I told her she was so smart, guard the gate, good girl! and she just wiggled.

The guy has just been standing there with his fat mouth hanging open, waiting for me to get my arm chewed off. He started to say something, but the cop just put his hand up. "Sir, I told you: there's nothing I can do. She's on her property, it's MARKED with a guard dog sign.  Stay away from the gate! You're on a bike, you should be in the street anyway."

The guy huffed and puffed a few more minutes, but he finally left. I'm kneeling down, rubbing her jowls when the cop says from behind me, "So what's really the deal? Your boyfriend work here or something?"

"No, I told you, she knows me. She's very sweet." I started to give him a short version of the story of the drunk and how the new guy was bringing his kids to play with her, etc. In the meantime, he stepped up to the gate and was standing next to me while I was giving her lovies and talking.

All of a sudden, she reached her paw out, and started tapping the cop on the shoe. He looked at her and said, "Oh, NOW you wanna be friends?" and she totally moved over and let HIM start scratching her while she slobbered all over him. He just stood there loving her and shaking his head about what a terrible vicious dog she was!

Somehow, I don't think the local cops are going to be taking any complaints about her being dangerous very seriously... ;D  ;D
Sheryl, Dogless and sad