Author Topic: Deaf Danes  (Read 7516 times)

Offline MSF

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Deaf Danes
« on: August 23, 2006, 03:21:52 pm »
I would love to hear stories, advice, tips and
such from other deaf Dane owners.
Mozart came into my life today, he is my 3rd or 4th Dane on my life. (I'm 45)
and my first deaf dane.
He is so wonderful.
I'd like to hear what folks are doing to help their
deaf Danes with anything.
CJ

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Deaf Danes
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 04:49:29 pm »
I don't have any experience with deaf danes, but I just want to say congratulation s! :) Someday I will definitely adopt a deaf dane. I think they are so special.

Best of luck to you and Mozart!!! ;D

Offline Boobearsmom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006, 04:16:35 am »
I'm Naomi and I have a deaf dane named Boo.  There's two other deaf danes on here that I know of also.  Speaking for Boo, the only thing special I've done for her is use a combination of ASL and "dog signs".  I never let her off lead if its not fenced in too.  Other than that, she's pretty much like any other hearing dog.  I have to touch her to get her attention if I need her, but most people when they meet her have no idea that she's deaf.  And there are times when she even seems more on "alert" than our hearing dog.  She notices things our other dog doesn't. 

We were lucky with her too because she's not a dog that startles easy either.  We can go up to her and touch her back if she's turned away and she won't jump, or bark or growl.  I don't know if that's just her disposition or the fact we used to touch her all the time when she was a puppy.  The only other thing with her that's a little weird (and this could just be every dog) is that she gets a certain "sense" about people and will shy away then start barking at them.  Its weird.  Some people she accepts right away and others she won't have anything to do with.

But good luck with your new pup!  Deaf danes are a really special breed.  I wouldn't trade her for the world.  And if I ever had a chance to get another deaf dane, I would in a heartbeat. 

And if Mozart is a pup (or even if he isn't!), be prepared for a serious velcro dane.  Boo wouldn't leave my side for anything.  I couldn't even go to the bathroom or take a shower without her!  She's 14 months now, so she's a little more independent, but there are still plenty of times I trip over her!  ;D

Offline MSF

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2006, 04:41:19 am »
Mozart is 18 months and a major velcro dane.
It took a couple days getting use to as my other danes had not been like this. They were also not pups
(I consider anything under 2 a pup) and they were not deaf.

I did contact the trainer at the above mentioned site.
They offer one on one with the dog and owner, however it is 10 weeklt sessions and I am a 6 hour round trip from them.
I'm going to email them today and ask if I come down there with him for a week to 10 days and stay at a local motel, can we do the 10 sessions in a short time. It may not be practical. (May be to much for Mozart to handle.)

chaosndestruction

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2006, 07:23:24 am »
Is this it?

http://www.gracieland.org/DaneRescue/

I'd totally go here for info! They are awesome...and they are close to me:)

Offline MSF

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2006, 01:49:30 pm »
I had a wonderful and very informative and inlightening
near 40 minute talk with Marc at Gracieland today.

Actually the owner origonally called him asking if he would take in into the program but I think cause of the cost of getting him there the owner couldn't. (Don't quote me)

Mozart is only 13 months old not 18 months.
13 months and
He is suspected of having Wobblers and OCD and HOD,
however has never had an ultrasound to confirm Wobblers.I am also informed other conditions can look like Wobblers.
So I'm going to arrange to take him to WSU if I can and have an evaluation.
Going to read up and talk to any experts I can.
Confirming and treating will be first priority.
At least we'll know where we stand on things 100%
He is not neutered and I am told due to the Wobblers he can't. However the Dane Vet in my state and Marc at Gracieland says he can be, just special things need to be done if he indeed has wobblers.

Once all this is done Marc is willing to give me grouped together classes since I am actually a 12 hour drive from him.
I'll go for 3 days and take 2 or 3 lessons, come home and practice and work with Mozart for 2 weeks and head back for another 2 or 3 lessons, etc etc.

So Mr. Mozart will have a very busy few months.
He is loved, he is wanted, he will have the best possible medical care. I am told WSU was one of the best Dane Vet hospitals.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2006, 01:51:42 pm by MSF »

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2006, 02:11:56 pm »
Well first of all Congratulation s!
Secondly, I don't know anything about deaf danes, but I commend you on adopting one.  I'm not sure if I could handle it myself.

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2006, 04:37:13 am »
You have such a loving and kind heart to open your home to this special guy. Do you have any pictures of him? I don't know what he looks like. But you are really doing a great thing for him.
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

Offline slavetothedanes

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • www.slavetothedane.com
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2006, 04:49:49 am »
I have a 4 year old Deafie, Whisper. I tried teaching her sign language and she knows a few signs but she's stubborn, what can I say??? She has no idea she's deaf! LOL
I use lights to get her attention (if shes outside after dark) to bring her in. I also rely alot on my other dogs to give her cues. Also be very careful with them out in the sun as they sunburn very easily.

Good luck with your new addition!

Mo

Offline PhoebesMom

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Phoebe
    • View Profile
    • Life with Eclectus Parrots
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2006, 04:31:47 am »
Hi, I'm new to the board and a new Great Dane owner. We recently were given a Great Dane by my girlfriend who could no longer keep her. I'm now in love with this breed and swear I will never own another breed. Anyhow I met this wonderful couple this weekend who recommended this site. Phoebe our Dane is so we've been told a Harlequin however the couple we met said she looked like a Merliquin (?). I'll post pictures soon of her.
Phoebe is deaf. She went to puppy school to learn sign language right from the get go and follows her signs without hesitation unless there are numerous people signing all at once. She is such a joy. Phoebe was taught not to run at people, jump up on people, lick people or go on furnishings. She is very quiet and easy going. Phoebe will not bark unless given the command. We do have to go to her to touch her sometimes to get her attention since she is deaf. We have a Chihuahua as well and have had him since he was a puppy, he's now almost 6yrs old. Phoebe is 2yrs old, 3 in Jan. Both get along excellent and she pics up on a lot that our little guy does such as try to be a lap dog. She has this amazing lean and is the most gentle dog ever. I would recommend signing schools for deaf dogs, it really opens communication between owner and dog. Phoebe loves seeing the good-girl sign, we have no sign for bad-girl but will never have one or desire one. We only have a few commands, good-girl, sit, lay-down and bark. We're learning so much since she has arrived and I look forward to learning much more as I go.
Megan & Phoebe.
Megan- Mom to Phoebe(Great Dane)
Thunder (Chihuahua)
Viggo & Sula (Red Sided Eclectus Parrots)
Meisha & Sydney (Vos Eclectus Parrots)
Skaha (7-toed Polydactol Cat)

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2006, 04:39:19 am »
Congrats!!  and welcome to the board!!  I'm Heatherton and slobbered on by Daphne, a boxer, and bossed around by Stone, a siamese mix.  I have never had a Dane, but have been around a few and they are all lovely!!  Again Welcom and enjoy!!
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline lshelley21

• Big Paw Certified
  • Jazmine 7 months old
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2006, 04:41:59 am »
hello,
Jazmine is my first deaf dane, infact 1st dane in general. She is the biggest love, they learn to lye across doorways so they know when you leave. Just remember they don't know they are deaf. One thing that is hard is that when playing with other dogs, she can't hear them growl, so she does get in trouble sometimes wit hthat. Please feel free to email me at Lshelley21@aol.com  There are other deaffies here too that are wonderful! Are you around MA?
Lauren, Jazmine (great dane)
Jazmine's pets:
Calvin (ferret)
Willy (ferret)
Samantha (ferret)
Baxter (ferret)
Ferrets friends:
Shirly and baldamore (geckos)
Gecko's friend:
Big D (fish)

Oh yeah.. my pet.. Matt (hubby)
Our pets are all above

Offline PhoebesMom

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Phoebe
    • View Profile
    • Life with Eclectus Parrots
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2006, 04:52:19 am »
Quoting "hello,
Jazmine is my first deaf dane, infact 1st dane in general. She is the biggest love, they learn to lye across doorways so they know when you leave. Just remember they don't know they are deaf. One thing that is hard is that when playing with other dogs, she can't hear them growl, so she does get in trouble sometimes wit hthat. Please feel free to email me at Lshelley21@aol.com  There are other deaffies here too that are wonderful! Are you around MA?"

I guess you answered my question from another post. Phoebe lays in front of doors too or so close to me so that part of her is always touching me that way as soon as I move she comes too. I would imagine that it disturbs her sleep to some degree since I'm always on the go but what could I do? She is crate trained so I've been told but I have never crated our Chihuahua.
Because Phoebe is Deaf that must hinder or impact her to some degree play wise because she cannot hear the growls and sounds other dogs make, so she stands there almost as if she's waiting for some clue from the other dog as to what she should do or how she should act.
Megan- Mom to Phoebe(Great Dane)
Thunder (Chihuahua)
Viggo & Sula (Red Sided Eclectus Parrots)
Meisha & Sydney (Vos Eclectus Parrots)
Skaha (7-toed Polydactol Cat)

Offline specialkdanemom

• Big Paw Certified
  • Sera, Shasta & Mika
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2006, 02:51:38 pm »
Just wanted to let you know that owning a deaf dane is wonderful! We have adopted 3 (can't have just one)from Marc @ Deaf Dane Rescue...now in Oakridge(?), OR.  If you go to the website and look under "Happy Tails", you'll see my dogs listed under the Multiple Adopters...we were the first to adopt more than one and started a chain reaction.  Unfortunately, we lost our beloved Appollos (aka "Big") to bloat back in Dec, 2005, and now only have the "girls", Sera (Seraphina) and Mika (Guin).  Sera is only partly or Uni-laterally(sp?) deaf (only in one ear) and Mika is Bi-laterally deaf (total deafness).  Mika actually uses Sera as her ears and watches her to see what's going on or checking to see if she should be going somewhere else, etc.   
These dogs have been wonderful and are not any different that a hearing dog...the deaf dogs tend to be just a bit more under-foot... they want to be involved and since they they can't hear what's going on, they need to be right there to see it all!!   Enjoy...
Big Dogs...got to love'em!!

Karen, mom to:
Mika (GD)
Sera (GD/Greyhound X)
Shasta (Lab/Newf X)

Appollos (GD) RIP 2001-2005