Author Topic: desperate mom...help guys!..allergies!  (Read 5009 times)

Gypsy Jazmine

desperate mom...help guys!..allergies!
« on: August 23, 2006, 06:03:42 pm »
Samson has been a bear lately & I attributed it to his age & put the "smack down" on him...Let it be known I am the WORST Pyr mom in the world!!!...It's his feet...Today it is very noticible that the skin on them is very red & inflamed...Mor e specifically than his feet, it is seasonal allergies...La st yr. it was his belly that was effected & through constant monitoring & washing I kept it under control...Well, his feet look awful & he won't stop licking them...I know dogs can have Claritin...I have no Benadryl on hand & can't get any tonight...Anyo ne know how much Claritan a 120 lb. Pyr can have??..Please...I am desperate at this point. :( :'(

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: desperate mom...help guys!..allergies!
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 07:19:29 pm »
A formulation called “Claritin-D” is available combining pseudoephedrin e and loratidine. This product is not interchangeabl e with regular Claratin® and should not be used  without specific veterinary guidance.

Is that the form of Claritin you have?  That's the only info I could find quickly  on the internet.  There was no specific dosage info....but perhaps if you call an emergency vet you could ask the vet on duty...

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 07:50:32 pm »
It is Claritin D I have but thankfully Samson has fell into a seemingly content sleep...You can bet we'll be at the vet's bright & early though...I can't believe how bad his feet look & on short notice!...Yesterday I  thought he was just being a spoiled, moody brat. :(

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2006, 03:25:34 am »
Excess licking and redness of the feet is also a sign of food allergies!  What are you feeding? 

Offline Imani's Mom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • My Chinchilla Page
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2006, 04:14:59 am »
Is it contact allergy, or systemic?  If its contact, and from grass and such, maybe you could put some little kid sized socks on his feet before he goes outside, to limit the contact?

Weedsport, NY

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2006, 06:43:04 am »

Max is forever getting stickers in his paws, and Bactine is what Mom uses on his feeties when she pulls the stickers out; I know I use the pump spray bottle of it when I get a skin reaction to weeds or cardboard.  It works like a charm. Spray or wipe it on Sam's paws and then cover them with socks/booties to keep him from licking it off.  (Max loves the taste of it for some reason.)

Do you have any hydrocortisone cream?  That will help the itchy dermatitis part. If you have some, put the cream on, and socks over it to keep the medicine on.
Sheryl, Dogless and sad

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2006, 06:52:28 am »
Excess licking and redness of the feet is also a sign of food allergies!  What are you feeding? 
Thanks everyone!...I am feeding Canidae & have been for quite awhile now...I did get a different brand of dog biscuits...I am taking Sam to the vet at 3:30 so I'll update then.

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2006, 10:25:10 am »
The vet said it is most likely seasonal allergies & perscribed steroids & an antibiotic for the secondary infection from sam licking his feet...I really hate to use steroids but because it is seasoanl he won't have to be on them long...I mentioned Benadryl & he said it only works on 20% of dogs & Sam's feet are so red & sore that I want him to feel better, for sure, right now!...Poor baby! :(

Kiahpyr

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2006, 10:27:32 am »
Poor Sammy! Kiah got a steriod shot, but it wore off after 10 days. That's when I gave the benedryl and that helped. Feel better soon Sammy! :-*

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2006, 11:08:57 am »
Poor Sammy!! Could you put ice packs on them to ease the swelling and redness??

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2006, 11:33:11 am »
I don't know the amount for claritan but my vet told me that for benadryl it was 2 milligrams per Kilogram. Not sure what the conversion is to lbs. I hope he feels better soon.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2006, 01:27:27 pm »
My vet told me for  cats & dogs...1 milligram per pound of body weight.