Author Topic: Show Dogs?  (Read 5261 times)

Kirsti

Show Dogs?
« on: August 29, 2006, 01:11:39 pm »
Hi! I was wondering what you guys think is the pro's and con's of having a show dog?  And having one AKC registerd.. I've never done that before, all the dogs I've got where mutts... so is that a good idea? Imput please! Thank you all!

Offline MSF

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: Show Dogs?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2006, 01:40:24 pm »
my opinion, not to offend, just my opinion
1) Way to political
2) Dog can't just be a dog
3) Paying for someone opinion which varies from judge to judge
4) Most show dogs are not built for what their intended use was. Another words, what is a functional dog may not be what they are looking for in the show ring. Seen it with Sibes, Alaskan Malamutes, the todays Mastiff doesn't look anything like Mastiffs 20 and 40 years ago.
People often think they can improve on what God already made years back.
I've seen this in the show ring with horses, dogs, cats, (a siamese doesn't look like the siamese of 20 to 30 years ago.

Showing to me is just paying for someone elses opinion.
Now show people be nice, it is an opinion and we all have one. ;)

cricket36580

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2006, 03:35:14 pm »
I think you show for the love of the breed.  You didn't specifically say conformation shows so I'm including ALL shows in my general opinion. 

I think it's a wonderful way to network with other people who are in love with a breed and are working to preserve it.  You do get an "authoritative" view of your animals good and bad points.  It gives the dogs a job in many cases.  And more and more are working as well as showing. 

It's also very political and has more to do with money than the animals overall.  The AKC is simply a clearinghouse.  It's seriously lost it's way in today's society and can no longer function as it was intended.  Hopefully they will make some neccessary changes and get "up to date".  True, many of the dogs in the show ring are simply show dogs and are not pets.  Showing is the only thing they do, period. 

It's not a lifestyle for everyone either.  It's highly competitive and requires real backbone and agressiveness.  Fainthearted people will be run over.  It can be quite consuming...Es pecially if you are obsessed with your animals.  (Dixie...  ;)  )  And if you don't live close to major hubs, it can be very expensive traveling to the shows every weekend.  However, it can be addictive too. 

However, there are also "shows" such as rallys, obedience, etc that are a whole different ball of yarn.  And CKC and UKC are also different. 

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2006, 02:22:34 am »
Hi I am Lisa and I am a dog show addict. Anyone who knows my dogs know that they get to play in a lake everyday and get as dirty as they like.  Yes there are some that only let them be show dogs but there are other who want something fun to do with their fur-kids. I hope to breed oneday and I think this is a great way for me to lean from people that have been down that road.  No 12 step program for me.

Abby quoto: "However, it can be addictive too." Oh yes it is! I have shows planned for the next 6 months. 

Lisa

edit to add:  You never know if you will like it util you give it a try.  After all if you do not just quit doing it after one show. At the end of each show I know that I am going home with the best dog there, no matter what color ribbon we get.

Lisa 
« Last Edit: August 30, 2006, 02:24:28 am by DixieSugarBear »
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2006, 02:47:41 am »
my opinion, not to offend, just my opinion
1) Way to political
2) Dog can't just be a dog
3) Paying for someone opinion which varies from judge to judge
4) Most show dogs are not built for what their intended use was. Another words, what is a functional dog may not be what they are looking for in the show ring. Seen it with Sibes, Alaskan Malamutes, the todays Mastiff doesn't look anything like Mastiffs 20 and 40 years ago.
People often think they can improve on what God already made years back.
I've seen this in the show ring with horses, dogs, cats, (a siamese doesn't look like the siamese of 20 to 30 years ago.

Showing to me is just paying for someone elses opinion.
Now show people be nice, it is an opinion and we all have one. ;)
I have to respectfully disagree with you on #2 & have a comment on #4...
The show people I most admire (our very  own DixieSugarBear being one of them) allow & prefer their dogs to be dogs...My Pippin's breeder will be back into showing soon & her dogs are actual working LGD's...They are out with livestock as a job.

My comment on # 4 is that, though I agree with you, there  are exceptions to the rule...My beloved Great Pyrenees breed has changed very little &, as a breed, are still out there kicking predator butt while gaurding their livestock!...One of the reasons I chose them & love them!!!

Kirsti

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2006, 03:43:15 am »
Thank you guys so much! I really appreciate your knowledge and you sharing it with me. And your opinions, I love how everyone's is different, it gives me something to think about!