Author Topic: Hip Dysplasia  (Read 4980 times)

Offline Kaiko

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Hip Dysplasia
« on: September 25, 2006, 03:31:19 am »
First of all, all my best for Nala, these guys are great with essential help and information.

My Mal Kaiko is now 4 months old and we live in a second floor flat - which means a few stairs. He seems to be fine but on reading about HD, like anything you read too much of, I have become a little paranoid!! When he has had quite a bit running about with Meeka our 9 month Siberian, He seems to drag his rear legs just a little. Now I don't know if this is just that he is tired or the signs of something worse. I tend not too give him much excersize as I feel the stairs and a little run in the back garden are probably enough right now. He does not appear to be in any pain. His Hip score was good also....

What are people thoughts on how much is too much for Kaiko. He is 4 months and weighing in at 23Kg just now. I feed them twice a day. Mainly rice with eggs and or tuna, little beef sometimes mixed with burns dog food - but read that too much protien could be a problem as well.

Any advise here would be well recieved.

Many Thanks,

Craig

Offline Kaiko

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Re: Hip Dysplasia
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 09:55:27 am »
Guys,

Would it be an idea to start giving Kaiko MSM and Glucosamine supplements as well as a good balanced diet? Is there any side effects to be giving this to a 4mths pup who probably isn't suffering from HD?

Cheers,

Craig

Offline LuvmyMal

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 02:19:26 pm »
Thanks for the kind thoughs for Nala. Glucosamin MSM can also be preventative meds, I would do half the regular dosage because a lot of food already has the Glucosamine in it. We had issues with Nala growing too fast and she was on Nutro Lg Breed puppy when she started growing rapidly and we had to reduce the protein immediately. I never had any issues with Tonka's joints (thanks goodness) and she has exercised  a lot. No jumping off beds, not too many stairs and when we did it was slow for the first 6 months.  It was easy for Tonka because she was so small from being the runt that I was able to carry her a lot more. Nala weighed 15 lbs the day I brought her home and was very active from then forward and it was always hard keeping her from doing things she should not do. We would also do light hikes when they were younger to get them use to it (only at local parks or easy trails) they would wear a harness to know they were working or atleast make them think they were. No pulling except a very small stick nothing that really weighs anything for the first 18 months then light weights for a little while. I always say that a trip to the vet is money well spent especially with the big paws. I am sure she is ok and could even be going through growing pains.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2006, 02:20:36 pm by LuvmyMal »

Offline Imani's Mom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • My Chinchilla Page
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2006, 03:39:49 am »
Mainly rice with eggs and or tuna, little beef sometimes mixed with burns dog food   Craig

I'm  no expert, but I wonder if this diet actually has everything a growing puppy needs.  Isn't rice mainly just a filler to make them feel full faster?

Weedsport, NY