Author Topic: Do your Dogs eat Grass?  (Read 9122 times)

Offline PhoebesMom

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Phoebe
    • View Profile
    • Life with Eclectus Parrots
Do your Dogs eat Grass?
« on: September 09, 2006, 09:40:14 am »
How many people find their dogs graze on grass? I have found that since Phoebe joined our home she's been grazing every other day on the grass in our backyard. Our Chihuahua does this once in a while but it's pretty rare for him. Phoebe on the other hand eats a fair amount of grass. I'm thinking it may be some dietary defficency? Or maybe something dogs do when their stomachs are upset? She had some runny poop last night and then this morning threw up grass first thing. We're starting very slowly in transitioning her to Go Natural Salmon & Oatmeal dog food from the Purina Weight Management the vet recommended. The Go Natural that we were told to try is supposed to be good for dogs with sensitive stomachs or any food allergies. I'm hoping that once she is fully onto the Go Natural that her stomach will settle from the loose poops and gas and that she will let up on the grass munching. I was just curious though as to why she might be eating grass.
Megan- Mom to Phoebe(Great Dane)
Thunder (Chihuahua)
Viggo & Sula (Red Sided Eclectus Parrots)
Meisha & Sydney (Vos Eclectus Parrots)
Skaha (7-toed Polydactol Cat)

Offline 2dogmom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: Do your Dogs eat Grass?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2006, 09:53:15 am »
Ya, Gus does the same thing. He never throws up though, so I guess hes just playing around. Drives me nuts sometimes, b/c it always makes me think there's something wrong with his tummy.

Offline PhoebesMom

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Phoebe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2006, 10:04:54 am »
I haven't seen Phoebe eat grass and then throw up until this morning. It's hard to tell when she does this if she is playing or swallowing or just what. I would imagine that her stomach hasn't been feeling great with the stress of her move, diet change, her coming into a heat ect. I can't wait for her to be totally converted and see if it works for her and if she feels better. I really feel for this poor girl who has endured so much over the past month and a half. I know in the past my Chihuahua has eaten grass and then thown up but it's rare when he does. My cat has also done this in the past but generally it's cat grass.
Thunder (Chihuahua)

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2006, 10:09:37 am »
My dogs eat grass all the time. Sometimes they throw up, and sometimes it just comes out in their poo. :P

A holistic vet I used to go to in Tennessee said that greens are good for dogs but unfortunately they can't chew up grass well enough to digest it. He recommended picking fresh grasses from the yard, and putting it all in a blender with water and pouring it over the dog's food on a pretty regular basis. :) He said that feeding the grassmush was to mimic how in the wild a dog-like creature would eat the stomach contents of rabbits and whatnot.

Offline PhoebesMom

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Phoebe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2006, 10:46:38 am »
Is this something that you do and do you feed it daily or how do you go about feeding the grass?
Thunder (Chihuahua)

Lyn

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2006, 11:55:36 am »
My 2 both love to eat grass. They never throw up either. I honestly think they just enjoy it.

I bought "CatGrass" in a pot for my cats. Bubba stole it and he and Lola ate it and left dirt all over my carpet. LOL

Here's a pic of my mooo cows grazing with Charlie the stray cat that someone dumped off here.

Offline PhoebesMom

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Phoebe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2006, 11:57:33 am »
That's exactly what Phoebe does, it's like having a horse in the back yard. My husband keeps saying that if she keeps it up he won't have to mow the lawn.
Thunder (Chihuahua)

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2006, 12:36:30 pm »
Is this something that you do and do you feed it daily or how do you go about feeding the grass?

I haven't really done it since we moved to our new place, since there isn't much grass here. But at our last house we had a huge front yard with really beautiful green grass, and dandelion greens and plaintain, and I would pick a bunch of it. Then just fill the blender about halfway with water, and start adding the greens. My vet also said to throw in some vegies and fruits occasionally (for extra nutrients), so we used carrots and apples and cucumbers. Blend a little at a time or else the grass will get caught in the blades. Once it's nice and mushy like a green smoothie, I just pour it over the kibble, maybe about 1/2 cup for each dog at meals. Then you store the rest in a pitcher in the fridge. I don't think you have to give it at every meal, my vet seemed pretty casual about the whole thing and thought of it as a supplement.

My dogs LOVED it!!! :D In fact, I need to find a patch of grass around here and start doing that again!

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2006, 01:22:37 pm »
Binky eats grass all the time and never throws up.  She also eats hay from the goats' feeder!  In fact, all of the dogs eat grass and rarely throw up.  I think they just like to nibble!
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat
Jasper-Nigerian Dwarf goat
Ferdinand-Nigerian Dwarf goat

Offline MagicM3

• Paw-meister
  • *Sir William
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2006, 02:03:23 pm »
Yes my fur  kids turn into goats whenever the grass is growing,we have quite a bit right now,but once the moonsoon is over I'm sure it will all die.Even watering doesn't keep it going.

My guys don't usually throw up,I think they just need more green in their diet.

Tricia and the fur kids

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2006, 02:15:09 pm »
I have never seen a dog eat grass before. My family's cats always eat grass when they have a hairball though - they do it to help make them throw up the hairball
RIP former BPO

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2006, 02:18:37 pm »
Cinder will nearly always eat grass and she throws up everytime she eats it.  So when I see her eating it we just stay out until she's done.  Kaila and Shiner don't do it nearly as much and they may or may not throw up the grass. 
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

GR8DAME

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2006, 03:17:18 pm »
Merlin grazes quite a bit, sometimes throws it up, most of the time doesn't tho. I always thought looks like a Holstien, walks like a Holstien, eats like a Holstien...He really is part cow!
Stella

Offline macybean

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2006, 04:10:50 pm »
Oh, yes. I have two cows on my hands.

They usually throw it up, especially Riley.

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2006, 12:50:29 am »
Both my dogs eat grass everyday.  I think it just makes their tummies feel good.
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs