Author Topic: Rocky was just neutered....I think.....looks like a tennis ball!!!  (Read 4972 times)

Offline barbiedoll

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Rocky was just neutered....I think.....looks like a tennis ball!!!
« on: September 09, 2006, 11:29:39 am »
Hi All

I just had Rocky neutered. He is almost 8 mos and weighs 111. 

I expected to see nothing there and instead I was surprised to see something resembling a tennis ball.  The vet said it will slowly shrink.....

IS THIS NORMAL!!!!!!

Barb

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: Rocky was just neutered....I think.....looks like a tennis ball!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2006, 11:43:24 am »
The swelling will go down fairly quickly...prob ably by mid-week Rocky will look like a normal neutered dog.  You didn't pay extra for replacements, though, did you?? ;) ;)

Offline PhoebesMom

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Phoebe
    • View Profile
    • Life with Eclectus Parrots
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2006, 11:56:11 am »
When we had our male spayed there wasn't much swelling at all, maybe a slight bump but it wasn't even that noticable. He was running around the night after the procedure.

Our female goes to get spayed soon. She's almost 3. We've only had her for a month and a half though. I'm a little worried about her going in and how it will effect her being a mature deaf Dane or if it will at all. Has anyone had any issues with females being spayed? Or what are your thoughts or advice for after the procedure?
Megan- Mom to Phoebe(Great Dane)
Thunder (Chihuahua)
Viggo & Sula (Red Sided Eclectus Parrots)
Meisha & Sydney (Vos Eclectus Parrots)
Skaha (7-toed Polydactol Cat)

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2006, 12:58:55 pm »
They're neutering a little differently now, they don't cut at the scrotum, but up higher, and sometimes there will be some bleeding that will fill up the empty scrotum, from what we read it's normal and the body will reabsorb it.  Bava did that after his surgery and also had some bruising.  I'd just keep an eye on it and it get any bigger, etc, call your vet.
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

GR8DAME

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2006, 03:34:21 pm »
When we had our male spayed there wasn't much swelling at all, maybe a slight bump but it wasn't even that noticable. He was running around the night after the procedure.

Our female goes to get spayed soon. She's almost 3. We've only had her for a month and a half though. I'm a little worried about her going in and how it will effect her being a mature deaf Dane or if it will at all. Has anyone had any issues with females being spayed? Or what are your thoughts or advice for after the procedure?

Actually our female dobe was spayed at a bit over a year and she recovered quicker than our males did after a nueter. Imagine that, the female handled the discomfort better than a male...LOL
Other than being a bit groggy for a couple of hours she was raring to go, and we had a tough time keeping her quiet for a week. Best advise, lots of frozen kong treats and crate rest for that week after, and walk on a leash to potty. Other than that she was a breeze.
Stella

Offline PhoebesMom

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Phoebe
    • View Profile
    • Life with Eclectus Parrots
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2006, 04:02:26 pm »
Good advice. Women/females do tend to handle stress/pain better I have to agree with that.  ;) For the spay the vet is also going to remove some skin to place on her ankle when he fixes that as well. I think she'll be casted. The oddest thing about Phoebe is that on every walk we've taken her on she has never gone to the bathroom once and when we took her on her first camp trip she only went to the bathroom once the whole weekend. It was a long weekend too 3 days!!! She's the oddest dog I've ever had but the sweetest most laid back girl too.
Megan- Mom to Phoebe(Great Dane)
Thunder (Chihuahua)
Viggo & Sula (Red Sided Eclectus Parrots)
Meisha & Sydney (Vos Eclectus Parrots)
Skaha (7-toed Polydactol Cat)

Offline Hugo_Boss

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2006, 09:41:19 am »
LOL! I know this topic was talked about some time ago. But I just had my boy neutered and when I went to pick him up I was still surprised to see something there. We were to it as a flab lol. I wondered when it would go away and the vet just said eventually it'll go back up. I didn't believe it, but I guess we'll see lol. Good to see I wasn't the only one wondering about that!

VERY nice Dane!!!!

Sincerely,

Ashley and Hugo

Offline sarnewfie

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • HarborWinds Newfoundlands and Stain Glass
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2006, 01:12:45 pm »
Swelling needs to be watched and watched closely, i also would take his temp twice a day, anything over 102 i would be on the phone to the vet, i have seen some males swell up horribly huge down there, and they ended up with raving infection and fever.
do you have a bag of frozen peas? you can put them in a towel and ice him down there every few hours.
keep a close eye on that swelling.
Photography by Christine
http://harborwinds.fototime.com/PHOTOS FOR ORDERS

HarborWinds Newfoundlands&Search and Rescue
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Haven/4505

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2006, 04:35:26 am »
my akita did this when he was neutered, it was really weird actually, the vet left his entire scrotum, so it looks like is hasn't been fixed.  his is still about the size of a golf ball 2 1/2 years later, we've had several people with female huskys and akitas ask if we would breed him to their girls.  the only way i know they really did it is b/c of the radical attitude change a few months after he got snipped (he was really aggressive when he started maturing).
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]