Author Topic: What do you give your dog for periodic preventative meds?  (Read 11019 times)

Offline CrazyLoveRosie

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
What do you give your dog for periodic preventative meds?
« on: September 11, 2006, 10:58:47 am »
What kind of preventative meds do you give to your dog? How often do you give it to them? And what brand do you use?

I'm a new Newf owner and need to know. Rosie has been using Frontline Plus in the past, so I figured I would stick to that and apply monthly. But what other periodic meds do I need to be aware of?
Rosie - Newfoundland

Kiahpyr

Re: What do you give your dog for periodic preventative meds?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2006, 11:04:25 am »
I give my dogs frontline plus also. I would also recommend giving a heartworm preventitive every month as well. I use Iverhart Plus a generic form of heartguard plus.

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2006, 11:28:44 am »
Heartguard for the heartworm prevention and frontline plus is it for us. Although I have noticed that with as much as the girls are in the pool - the frontline doesnt seem to be as effective as I would like for it to be...

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2006, 01:42:05 pm »
I have been very lucky the last few years and don't have any fleas or ticks in my yard or on my pups.  So the only thing I use is iverhart for heartworm prevention.  If I take them out into the woods then it's frontline or advantage. 
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline CrazyLoveRosie

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2006, 02:25:18 pm »
Great tips! Thanks!
Rosie - Newfoundland

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2006, 02:36:03 pm »
We use Heartguard and Advantix(although you have to be careful if you have cats that they aren't exposed) occasionally we'll use Frontline Plus but we like the added mosquito protection in the Advantix.  All of the stuff above is monthly.  We also give our girls Cosequin to help their joints daily.  If you aren't giving Rosie supplements I suggest you look into doing so.  There are lots of threads on what you could give but glucosamine is important for protecting joints.

And welcome aboard It's good to see more newfs joining.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2006, 02:37:26 pm by chaos270 »
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2006, 02:47:15 pm »
Both Newfs get "Dancing Paws" multivitamins, MSM + glucosomine for their joint health, Cetyl M to prevent (fingers crossed!) arthritis, fish oil for their coats and hearts.  They both get advantix once a month as well.  Oh, they also get "DreamCoat" in their food to keep their coats shiney and, calcium and probiotics since I cook for them.

I know:  SPOILED ROTTEN!!! ;)

Offline Miranda

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2006, 02:50:40 pm »
Iverhart and Frontline Plus.

Laika's also on vitamin C and milk thistle supplements since she's on all these antibiotics and stuff. I really need to get her on a joint supplement, too, but I think seven pills twice a day is enough for now. I can barely get her to take these!
If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then giving Fido only two of them.  ~Phil Pastoret

Offline Leah-n-boy-os

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2006, 04:36:14 am »
All the boy-os are on Frontline Plus, and Onyx gets Consequin daily for his joints.

I know we're doing good on that, because ever since we started him in the Consequin, he leaps and bounds around like he's a kangaroo......

A very fat kangaroo.  ::)
Leah and the Boy-os
Apollo (Akita/St. Bernard)
Zeus (Heinz 57)
Onyx (Newfoundland)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Being owned by Big Paws just indicates how big your heart is.

located - Gig Harbor, WA

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2006, 04:52:44 am »
Newflvr, do you think the Dream Coat makes a difference?

Monthly: Frontline + & Heartgard
Daily: Glucosamine, garlic, brewer's yeast, fish oil

Sophie also gets cranberry tablets every couple of days otherwise she gets UTI's

Going to stop giving frontline & go with something else, it appears to be useless now, I swear it is a flea-attractant.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2006, 04:53:57 am by brandon »
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.â€

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2006, 05:51:09 am »
Newflvr, do you think the Dream Coat makes a difference?

Yes, I do.  Since I've had them on Dream Coat, their coats absolutely shimmer and Chester has completely stopped scratching.  He has been itchey off and on ever since we picked him  up and now that he's pretty much off kibble and I've been adding Dream Coat, he's much better.

Offline LMT

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2006, 05:55:26 am »
I'm going to look up Dream Coat. Maybe it can help a bit w/ Adis itchiness and the transition to the new food. I swear, the cashier at the pet store is starting to recognize me!
lmt.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2006, 05:58:59 am »
I'm going to look up Dream Coat. Maybe it can help a bit w/ Adis itchiness and the transition to the new food. I swear, the cashier at the pet store is starting to recognize me!
Here in Southern Calif, it's carried at Whole Foods

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2006, 06:36:00 am »
I'm having the same problem with the Frontline.  But, I don't know if Daphne is just carrying the fleas in from the yard (I have a sandy area) and I just see them before they die or what.  She's not allergic like Navarre was so I don't know if they are bothering her or not.  I just know I'm seeing ALOT more of them this year than I ever have.
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline CrazyLoveRosie

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2006, 09:05:47 am »
I'll probably still stick with Frontline Plus since that's what Rosie's been on before and monitor to make sure it's still working for her.

The Cosequin is a great idea. Keeping those joints healthy is important.

Leah-n-boy-os: What brand of cranberry tablets do you give Sophie? Rosie has had a problem with chronic UTIs (though she hasn't had any accidents in months) and she's taking an acidifier twice a day. Maybe those cranberry tablets can help her too so she doesn't have to be on acidifiers all her life.
Rosie - Newfoundland