Author Topic: New Afghan/Hoping for Help  (Read 23314 times)

Offline slietz

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
New Afghan/Hoping for Help
« on: September 11, 2006, 02:59:59 pm »
 Hi!  I have a new Afghan rescue, a DEELISH 3-y-o named Teddy.   I'm looking for training tips/book recommendation s to help with his full-on Afghan-ness.  Also, I'd love grooming tips -- he had to be shaved upon rescue because he was severely matted.  Particular brushes? Shampoos?? (He's on a canine-nutritionist-guided diet...amazing ly healthy; better than me!)  Looking forward to hearing from you!  Thanks, Susan

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: New Afghan/Hoping for Help
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2006, 03:17:56 pm »
I don't have any tips for training Afghans specifically, but for grooming, use bristle brushes, slicker brushes, pin brushes, anything you can find, and use some good old elbow grease every day! It'll keep the matting reduced drastically! By the way, Teddy is toooo cute! I hope we see more pics of him soon! I'm Marissa, mom to Zoey an Alaskan Malamute and Dolly a Saint Bernard. Welcome to Big Paws!
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

Offline affiepoodlegirl

• Ankle Biter
  • Harry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2006, 04:10:58 pm »
ONLY use pin brushes - the ones that do not have the little balls at the end.  You need to brush them daily! You need to wash them at least once a week.  No exceptions -unless you decide to keep them trimmed which is nice too. 

I am Michelle and I have two Afghan Hounds and two Standard Poodles.  Do you have any sighthound experience?  You have to be very firm with sighthounds but not mean - nothing physical - ever. 

The road I took to you - http://www.afghanhound.net see here.  That is a great book.  If you would like I can give you some groups to join in addition to this one.

You will need to learn a lot if this is your first Aghan Hound.  They will steal your heart but they will drive you crazy first!

Michelle
Michelle
Ollie
Oakley
Harry

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2006, 01:06:20 am »
Welcome!

I know next to nothing about Afghans but they sure are beautiful!  My mother (who I lost very young) used to raise and show them about 30 yrs ago.  Most of the early pics of me have Afghan hounds in them!  LOL!

Great puppy name BTW - my big puppy is Teddy too!  He's just turned 8 months and he is the best pup ever!

Hope you will post more pics and stories about your new guy!
Every girl needs a Teddy bear!

Offline slietz

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2006, 04:48:18 am »
Thanks for all of your kind replies with all the great pup shots!  Such delicious little creatures... And since there was such high demand for more photos of Tedds, ;), I'm including a shot of Teddy and his brother Buster...  Teddy is a LOVE, but completely unbiddable.  I say "Paw" an he lays down.  I say "lay down" and he "boings!" up in the air. I guess my laughter motivates him more than treats... On the other end of the spectrum, all of Buster's secret powers reside in his 3/4" underbite...

Offline slietz

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2006, 05:05:03 am »
To Affiepoodlegir l: Yes...Teddy's my first Afghan.  How cute is your "little" one?! Teddy had to be trimmed when he was rescued as he'd basically never been groomed. (locked in a basement, hair all matted and black, 30 lbs underweight... ugh!) But I have to say, I do love him with a puppy cut.  Esp. cus he still acts like such a puppy as he encounters this whole big brand new world.  I'm thinking we'll grow it out once and see how it goes...but I do want to start working with him regularly to get him used to it.  Having never been brushed, the process still sort of rocks his world.  I went to the site you recommended, which was great... Was there a specific book or author you suggest??  Thanks much!!  S.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2006, 05:07:07 am by slietz »

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2006, 08:11:18 am »
Awww... we need more pictures of that hound! And while you're at it some pics of the underbite champion! ;)

I have only known one Afghan hound ever, Niko. He belonged to my ex-botfriend. Most of the time I could not pet him... let's just say he wasn't well socialized. ::) And what a stubborn dog! :D I'll never forget the time he got loose and absolutely would not come when called... ahh yes, the sight of my ex running clumsily down the street after a gorgeous graceful hound... HAHAHA!!!!!

Good luck with Teddy! ;D

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2006, 04:09:16 pm »
Hello and welcome!

Teddy sure is a cutie.  Good luck with the grooming. I love afghans, but that's one reason I'll probably never have one.......what makes them beautiful also makes them high maintenance.

Offline slietz

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2006, 05:28:57 am »
I sooo understand the hesitancy to take on "high maintenance!!"   Not in a million years would I have thought I'd be caring for an Afghan. In fact, when I got Buster at the lb. last year, I'd gone to rescue a cat.  Now I have the little dromedary and a 40 lb fanged beast...  Whaa??  I hope the requests for photos here aren't just polite! I guess I love seeing all the others, so two more of the guys...
« Last Edit: September 15, 2006, 05:30:20 am by slietz »

Offline nkp

• Ankle Biter
  • This is Mr. Cuddle Buttons Pic
    • View Profile
    • Handmade Pottery and Pottery  Beads
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2008, 11:25:28 am »
I had a friend with an afghan and what I remember best is that it required a lot of exercise ... but it was the sweetest dog!
Natalie

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2008, 11:49:15 am »
Hello and welcome!  Teddy is absolutely beautiful, and so lucky to have found you!  And I gotta say, I've got a real soft spot for that underbite boy!  He's precious!  I'm Alex, my two are in my signature.  And by all means, if you like to post lots of pictures, we encourage it, we've all got a very strong cuteness addiction to feed!  ;) :D
My Sponsership page for my very first race!