Author Topic: What do you give your dog for periodic preventative meds?  (Read 11016 times)

Offline CrazyLoveRosie

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: What do you give your dog for periodic preventative meds?
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2006, 09:08:47 am »
Sophie also gets cranberry tablets every couple of days otherwise she gets UTI's

What brand of cranberry tablets do you use?
Rosie - Newfoundland

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2006, 09:37:22 am »
Isnt that what the Cranberry does, makes the urine acidic? I'm not sure as I've never had a UTI, and dont know much about that.  Sophie squats down very low when she goes, and her uhm parts get dirty.  We keep her shaved there and with the cranberry, we have not had any uti's anymore.

I am not sure on the brand of cranberry tablets, they are a coated caplet from wal-mart, I'll check it out when I get home.

The cranberry was a tip I learned from some of the breeders on newf-l.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2006, 09:38:11 am by brandon »
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2006, 09:53:57 am »
Do you think that male dogs need cranberry?  I guess they don't get UTI as often/at all??

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2006, 10:22:58 am »
I've never looked this up, this is just guesstimate, but it seems like their parts would be "self-cleaning", it would shed mucus, dirt etc whenever their uhm... lipstick comes out of the tube.
I'd look it up, but I would be very afraid of what google might find.  :P

We only give it to Sophie to avoid another trip to the vet and another round of anti-biotics.

Do you think that male dogs need cranberry?  I guess they don't get UTI as often/at all??
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”