Author Topic: Randy had ANOTHER potential tragedy last night....  (Read 5393 times)

Gypsy Jazmine

Randy had ANOTHER potential tragedy last night....
« on: September 17, 2006, 04:04:07 am »
It happens every week...Someone in a car doesn't use any comman sense when driving around semis...Last night, once again, Randy had someone pass him & then cut him off when they pulled back over into the right lane...It is a damn good thing he only had a partial load on or someone would be dead...These big rigs can't stop or slow down on a dime people!!...I want my husband to come home every week safe & sound & I want you all to be safe too!...Here are some tips on driving around semis...Please read carefully!...Remember truckers are just out there doing their job & that's to get the products you use every day to you...If you got it a trucker brought it...Thank them by using comman sense & being couteous!!!

1/ Don't stay in the blind spot ( if you can't see the driver in his mirror, he can't see you )

2/ Don't tailgate ( driver can't see you )

3/ Don't pass unless you are going to keep up your speed. It takes longer for truckers to slow down then you to speed up.

4/NEVER NEVER NEVER pass on the inside lane of a truck turning right. YOU WILL BE KILLED.

5/ Dim your lights comming towards and behind a truck.

6/ Do not pass a truck and cut in to close...leave lots of room.

7/ Do not speed up when a truck is passing you only to slow down when in front.

8. Let a truck pass going down hill when another up hill is comming up...they need speed to get up hill.

9/ALWAYS assume there is at least 10,000 lbs on a truck and know that the truck weighs close to the same empty.

10/ Always think that the person inside is a family member. What way would you drive around someone you love?

Remember...the life you save may be YOUR OWN.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2006, 02:39:40 pm by Gypsy Jazmine »

Kiahpyr

Re: Randy had ANOTHER potential tragedy last night....
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2006, 04:14:32 am »
Those are great tips! My dad was a truck driver while I was growing up. Unfortunately one day my dad didn't get so lucky. A college student pulled onto the interstate in a snow storm and didn't see my dad. He tried to stop, but was unable to. The girl died and my dad has to live with that pain everyday of what happened. There was an investigation and he wasn't at fault. Every year he brings flowers to her grave. She was my age which I think made it harder on my dad. So yes please be careful around semi's.

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2006, 04:16:56 am »
Excellent driving tips. Driving a semi can be very dangerous, I'm sure. I'm glad your husband was okay last night. I always wave at truckers cause they're cool!  :D
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2006, 04:20:48 am »
Those are great tips! My dad was a truck driver while I was growing up. Unfortunately one day my dad didn't get so lucky. A college student pulled onto the interstate in a snow storm and didn't see my dad. He tried to stop, but was unable to. The girl died and my dad has to live with that pain everyday of what happened. There was an investigation and he wasn't at fault. Every year he brings flowers to her grave. She was my age which I think made it harder on my dad. So yes please be careful around semi's.
Oh April!...That is sad on every note! :'( AAA did a study & found that in all accidents involving big trucks over 80% were the fault of the "four wheeler"...Rush hour traffic in Chicago is enough every week alone to drive Randy to an ulcer. >:( :(

Offline morph's mom

• Big Paw Certified
  • Morpheus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2006, 05:14:52 am »
OMG  why are people soo stupid??  Anything that big demands to be respected.  I Mean lets think about it...  we are in a lil bitty car...  They are in the huge monterous truck.  I mean what do you think would happen???  I am sooo glad that he is safe.  That is exactly the reason I wont let the hubby drive trucks anymore.  It is just way to dangerous and i dont want him to have to live with the memories if something did happen.

My youngest (4) loves truckers...  he just found out that you can get them to blow thier air horns.  So... since we have dark tinted windows on the suburban we now have to ride around with the windows down cause he is looking for trucks lol.
Morpheus Mastidane 1 yr

A. J. Keeshound  3 yr

Dogs are really people with short legs in fur coats

"No one appreciates the very special genius of your conversation as the dog does." - Christopher Morley

"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person." - Andrew A. Rooney

Offline horsepoor21

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2006, 06:09:01 am »
LOL My husband loves to blow his horn for the kids ! My husband was in an accident last year , a man in a van tried to do a U-turn right in front of him and my husband hit hit him ( he was loaded , he drives doubles , overweight .....) and his truck proceeded to drive right acrossed the man's van ! Luckily the guy was okay , his head hit his steering wheel and left a gash on his face . My hubby was just fine , not much damage done to his truck but he still whines about his cell phone falling to the floor and getting scratched !  ::) He deals every day with people pulling this kind of crap . He's so thankful and grateful when someone actually gives him room to make his wide turns , doesn't cut him off , doesn't pass him going downhill , gives him room to be able to get back into the right lane after letting them on the on-ramp .... The list goes on and on , I love my truckin' man !  :-*  ;D
-Amy
Moose-Border Collie/Newfoundland rescue
Allie-Newfoundland
Spook-Newfoundland
Whiskey-Arabian
Wolverine-Cockatiel
Polly&Rainbow-Lovebirds (with 3 babies!)
Crush-Painted Turtle

"Every boy should have two things:
 A dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2006, 07:48:51 am »
Thanks for the reminder that there are living human beings in those big scary trucks. I am always so nervous driving near them, they just seem like big heartless metal monsters on the highway.

I hope your husband stays safe out there! I sure wish people would drive more carefully!! (Then maybe I wouldn't be so afraid to leave the dang house!)

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2006, 12:14:07 pm »
Thanks for posting those tips. My husband is also a OTR driver and he see's and deals with these issues daily. My major concern each and every week is that he comes home safely.

Offline Imani's Mom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • My Chinchilla Page
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2006, 12:43:32 pm »
Wow- I had no idea there were so many of us on here with hubbies who drive for a living- my hubby drives from home to and through NYC daily with a truck load of groceries.  I hear it from him daily- people are IDIOTS on the roads!

Weedsport, NY

Offline rickie

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Short dogs, but big paws :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2006, 02:51:44 pm »
Although I'm not a trucker, I have family members that are\were. I do drive my horse trailer, usually with 2 horses on board. You would not belive the idiots that get so close to me that I can only see their side mirror when they are weaving out trying to pass me, and usually on a country road. I am shocked everytime!!! I want to give my babies a good ride, so if it's a bumpy road I'm apt to go a bit slower, but not enough that it should annoy anyone. Some people just lack that thing called "common sense"
Short dogs Big paws

chaosndestruction

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2006, 05:18:05 pm »
They should give people some kinda of uhm idiot/literacy test before giving them a license...

I've grown up in a rural town and most of the land out here is owned by LongFibre a logging company. I am always nice to truckers, I follow at a safe distance...and I don't ever pass them unless I have an actual passing lane (I hate going into the wrong lane of traffic to pass someone unless it's a slow moving vehicle like tractor). I always curse at the idiots that ride the truckers hind ends because that's just dumb, it's like they don't realize that if the trucker has to slam on their breaks or slow down real quick that they'd be dead.

GAH! people...

Thanks for the tips! Now only if we could get all the idiots out there to follow them!

GR8DAME

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2006, 02:57:20 am »
  Thanks for the tips, Chelle. I can well understand your husband's frustration. Although I don't drive a truck, "normal" drivers spend in awful lot of time trying to turn bikers into a smear on the roadside. Avoiding accidents caused by idoits who got their license out of a box of Crackerjacks is a daily occurance on our motorcycles.
Stella