Author Topic: cant we all just get along? (advice please!)  (Read 2057 times)

Offline lulu

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
cant we all just get along? (advice please!)
« on: September 17, 2006, 10:55:37 am »
  i wrote a couple days ago about a stray dog that i took in. well, we put an ad in the newspaper and we took fliers to the H.S. and so far, no word from anyone. we are  calling her Sophie. the woman at the H.S. agreed that she is a shepherd mix. shes a great dog. very loving and sweet. potty trained. unfortunately, she is still not getting along with my Golden Retriever, and she is trying to chase my cats, and barking at them. my husband is losing patience, and says if they cant get along then we are going to have to give her to my sister to foster. ive already talked to my sis about it, and she and her hubby agreed to foster her, while looking for someone to adopt her. ( i am hoping however, that if they foster her,they will decide to keep her. they currently have no dogs). i am already extremely attached to this little girl and want so badly to keep her. a couple of you gave me some advice when i first posted about her. i tried introducing them thru a baby gate. she barked and barked. how long should i let that go on for? how many times a day should i try it? anything else i can do? and what about the cats, how do i get her to stop trying to chase them? she and one of the cats touched nose to nose a couple times, while she was on a least. but if shes off leash and sees one, she tries to chase them. i baby gate her in certain areas of the house, so the cats are pretty safe. and how do i figure out if shes aggressive towards cats or just wants to play. my golden chases the cats to, but he just wants to play.
 ughghghhghg. i am getting very frustrated. i want to keep this dog, but right now im not feeling very hopeful that it is going to work out that way...
 Leah