Author Topic: Hotels that allow big paws??  (Read 9322 times)

Offline morph's mom

• Big Paw Certified
  • Morpheus
    • View Profile
Hotels that allow big paws??
« on: September 18, 2006, 10:10:20 pm »
We are going to be moving from San Diego to southern Indiana around the 1st of October and will be driving across.  Does anyone know if there are any hotels or motel chains that allow big paws????  We are trying to get a list together so that we can map out our route.  Thanks for any info that you have.
Morpheus Mastidane 1 yr

A. J. Keeshound  3 yr

Dogs are really people with short legs in fur coats

"No one appreciates the very special genius of your conversation as the dog does." - Christopher Morley

"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person." - Andrew A. Rooney

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: Hotels that allow big paws??
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2006, 11:14:26 pm »
I know that I stayed in a marriot right on the NYC border  that allowed dogs... I asked if there was a weight limit and they said no... I brought Zero in and they replied... We said we allow dogs not horses and he wasnt as tall as a dane LOL

Nothing was funnier than watching the expression on their faces while sharing an elevator with a central asian ovcharka
Zero 23mth  Central Asian Ovcharka
Anchara 16mth old Caucasian Ovcharka

Offline Lucah's Folks

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
    • The Lucah Project
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2006, 05:36:12 am »
All Motel 6's will allow dogs.  I know they are everywhere.

Offline mtaig12

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2006, 06:13:17 am »
We moved from Arizona to North Carolina with Max (50lb chow Akita mix). We used the Motel 6 directory to map out our route, and stayed in Motel 6's the whole way. We didn't have any problems (except from the nice State Trooper who stopped me for speeding in Texas, but that's another story;).

Good luck with your move!

Tracy
Tracy and Mike - parents
Alex and Ian - kids
Max and Star - canines
Oscar and Emily - felines
Nibbles - hamster
North Carolina

Offline CrazyLoveRosie

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2006, 10:25:57 am »
If you normally have high standards for hotels, you'll have to lower them a bit when you're traveling with a dog, unless you want to pay the ridiculous dog deposits.

We stayed at a Microtel, which charges about $25 for the dog to stay at the hotel. The rooms weren't great but you can't expect too much from a motel chain that only charges spare change for dog stays.
Rosie - Newfoundland

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2006, 10:39:29 am »
AHH-hem....I once snuck my 165 Newf, Otis, in to a Marriott by going in the back door...up the stairway and going V E R Y  quietly down the hall.   Otis was always very quiet and good natured.  We were prepared to throw a sheet over him and say he was the room-service cart!!

Necessity is the mother of invention....a nd lying!! ;)

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2006, 11:28:08 am »
A friend of mine sent this web site address to me- looked pretty interesting  http://petfriendlytravel.com/

Offline Imani's Mom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • My Chinchilla Page
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2006, 01:35:10 pm »
When we went to Toledo with Imani (mastiff), we stayed at a Comfort Inn, and they had no problem with her staying with us.    We called first and checked of course; and when we got there, they had a convention going on and all the first floor rooms were taken, so they gave us a free upgrade to a suite on the second floor because of the "inconvenience" of having to go down one floor to take her out to potty.  The room was not a bad one, it had two full sized beds, it was very clean and comfy, though not quite the Ritz.

Weedsport, NY

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2006, 01:42:39 pm »
La Quinta's allow pets also.  I don't know any specifics but I remember seeing that on one of their websites.
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline mtaig12

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2006, 04:20:29 pm »
Just wanted to add: Apparently some states don't allow dogs, so some of the chain motels that say they are pet friendly can have individual motels that refuse pets based on state regulations. So, if you want to be sure you won't have a problem, you may want to call ahead.

Tracy
Tracy and Mike - parents
Alex and Ian - kids
Max and Star - canines
Oscar and Emily - felines
Nibbles - hamster
North Carolina

Offline cosmosmama

• Big Paw Certified
  • Handsome Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2006, 06:49:54 am »
When I went to pick up Cosmo in Indiana we found several hotels that didn't have weight restrictions.  Red Roof Inn is where we stayed, but Holiday Inn Express also didn't have weight restrictions.

Best of luck and I would recommend mapping out hotels the entire length of your drive so you aren't searching when you are exhausted and desperately needing a bed.  (Speaking from experience!!)
Krista, Cosmo (Goofus), Sadie (THE BOSS) and Sammie (Sweet Boy)
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
                                                Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline morph's mom

• Big Paw Certified
  • Morpheus
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2006, 08:05:34 am »
We have never been on a long trip with ALL of the kids so about how long can you drive in one day.  It is kinda hard trying to map these hotels when ya dont know how far apart to make them.  WE kind of have our route mapped out...
San Diego to Las Vegas to the Grand Canyon then just drive till we get to St. Louis and then to southern Indiana.   We mapquested it and they said about 37 hours total.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Morpheus Mastidane 1 yr

A. J. Keeshound  3 yr

Dogs are really people with short legs in fur coats

"No one appreciates the very special genius of your conversation as the dog does." - Christopher Morley

"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person." - Andrew A. Rooney

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2006, 10:35:35 am »
Are you planning a 'South Rim' Grand Canyon, or a 'North Rim' Grand Canyon? Or have you not decided? It will make a HUGE difference as to how you plan your travel.

Based on my fairly extensive family driving vacations with dogs around the Southwest, here's how to get as far as Denver:

San Diego to Vegas is the longest distance you should plan to drive! NEVER expect to drive more than 350-400 miles in a day except in highly populated areas. For every 2 hours in the car, you have to plan to stop for 20-30 minutes for children and dogs to pee and walk around--plus you have to plan at least 90 minutes for every meal break. And this 350-400 mile plan doesn't include any side stops to see any cool stuff along the way.

Vegas to Grand Canyon--complicated issue, because once you get to GC, you're basically surrounded by wilderness, and there are NO really good roads going east thru the reservations--seriously, N-O-N-E, NONE.  If you're looking for EASY travel, then come back from GC to Vegas and spend the night again; then take I-15 north to Salt Lake City; spend the night in SLC, then go east on I-80 to Denver.

Most mapping software will tell you to turn east on I-70 to get to Denver from Las Vegas--but what the mapping software won't tell you is that I-70 is an EXTREMELY isolated road, with NO SERVICES AT ALL for 200+ miles--and no good services for nearly 500, from Cedar City, UT to Grand Junction, CO!  If you break down on that road with kids or dogs, you could be there for 4-5 hours before the highway patrol gets to you, and then you'll still have to wait for whatever help they're trying to get to you; cell service on 70 is very spotty; not to mention that it's the primary drug smuggling corridor from SoCal to Denver. My cousin's a Utah Highway patrolman and his solemn advice to everyone who asks is "Never drive on I-70 west of Green River!"  I've done it one time, and I'll NEVER do it again.

You're far better off driving all the way north to SLC, staying in a Motel Six, and taking I-80 across to I-35, and then I-35 down to Denver, with a stop in Laramie or Rock Springs. More people, more traffic, better services and emergency coverage. And your cell phone will work all the time.

BUT IF YOU'RE DELIBERATELY STOPPING AT THE GC to see it and can afford an extra day or two, then take what may be your last chance (since you're moving so far away!) to do the southwest tourist drive.

Here's what I'd do, kids, dogs and all, if I were you. See the GC South Rim EARLY in the morning, and than plan to drive from GC to Moab, Utah. Take highway 160 thru the Navajo Reservation, it's got the best coverage from the tribal police in case of an emergency.  These roads are almost all 2 lane highway, but they're all paved and in very good condition, even though there isn't much in the way of services on the res; but once you hit Blanding, you've got services about every 40 miles or so and plenty of ranch traffic if you should need help. Also plenty of tourist stops, like the 'Hole in the Wall' and stuff like that.

You should plan an extra day/night in Moab if you can spare the time--this is the perfect time of year to walk the trails at Arches National Park--it's NOT too hot, and dogs are welcome if you pack out the poo! ;D  Google "Slickrock Campground" in Moab, and see if they have any cabins available; I know for certain THEY love dogs! If they're full, make a reservation at the Super 8 and let them know about the dogs in advance.  I taught in Moab for a year, and it's still one of my favorite places in the whole Southwest. It's amazingly beautiful. It's way more isolated that I was happy living in, but as a traveling stop, I can't recommend it more highly.

Your next leg is Moab to Denver. Be sure to take what they call in Moab "the River Road" to Grand Junction--any local can give you directions. It's not that much longer of a drive time than driving up out of the canyon to I-70 to Grand Junction, and you will never regret driving up that road, right down in the bottom of the canyon, next to the Colorado River. You can get on I-70 just before Grand Junction for the rest of your trip to Denver, but don't miss driving the River Road!

Once you're in Denver, someone else is going to have to advise you about breaking up the legs--I've only driven east of Denver once. ;)
Sheryl, Dogless and sad